I'm 25, have under $10k to spend, and want a transplant in/around Toronto - Advice?

mark25

Quick story: Been losing my hair for many, many years...and I'm 25 right now and between a bad Norwood III to a Norwood IV, and after trying everything from Rogaine, to Propecia, to even the Laser Comb I've realized it is what it is and nothing other than a transplant will help.

The only other option is a hairpiece, but with the amount of maintenance and having to constantly worry about it on my head I realize I might as well go down the transplant route.

So my question: I live in Toronto, can somebody recommend to me the best doctor who can help me, at least for now, give me a great transplant for under $10k? I don't have a lot of money, but I'm not completely bald either. I'd really love to hear some advice from someone who's been there/done that, even better if you've got one from someone in Toronto or nearby.

Thanks again, and I REALLY appreciate all your help guys! This process is very stressful and your help means so much!

Are you kidding, you live pretty close to Dr Rahal considered 'King of Hairlines' by his fans. And is many guys top 5 clinics. You would have have to consider him. Dr Rahal also comes in at very fair rates so is going to be closest to your budget. Hasson and and Wong are in Vancouver and are high on most lists, pretty darn good at what they do. Canadians are so spoiled for choice! If you go to the states you'll generally pay more per graft, although there are 4-5 clinics who have earned excellent reputations. But you don't need to endure such a trip with what's in your 'backyard'.

Before you think about a transplant though, you should consider doing all you can to stabilize the loss!!!!!

How long did you stay with finasteride/propecia? It can take a few months or even longer to do its work. Unless you were one of the few to experience side effects you need to consider this may still have something to offer you.

Are you using Nizoral or similar once or twice a week? It is a pretty stock standard treatment shampoo to mix in with your regular shampoo routine.

I would give the lasercomb a miss, I'm not saying laser can't work wonders in a few cases, its just that you need 50 diodes plus and that costs alot to use. Many don't respond to laser anyway, but lasercomb as a form of laser is like expecting 1 slice of pizza to feed a village. It's your lowest percent bang for buck return for sure and its a pain in the proverbial. And you won't find many touting the laser comb whether it has FDA or not!!

Rogaine foam seems to be on a lot of peoples treatment lists, and deserves its FDA approved status.

The above treatments are FDA approved, but don't expect to try them for a month or two and see results - it will take time, perhaps a long time. Propecia works for most but it really takes a while. Transplants are best in combination with hairloss stabilization cause its unlikely most of us will have enough donor to cover what we would naturally lose.

So please consider discovering the combination that works for you.

Outside of these are the slightly less popular things such as certain suppliments, MSM, and these too have their guys that swear by them.

Lastly, you are young, not so young that you wouldn't consider a transplant, but young where you still may be better waiting. So the treatment stuff could be the best direction in the long run. No it won't save your social status, (I know you don't want to be the thinning / bald guy), but it still may be the best outcome for you.

Edited by KiwiGuy500

Rahal, Hasson&Wong,Simmons are all great surgeons in Canada that spring to mind, maybe a few others.

But here is a tip, do not specifically state how much money you have to spend on a hair transplant,as that is not a wise decision.

Negotiate and try to get the best price.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Dr. Rahal is about as low priced as anyone. You have it made living so close to his office. I'd make a consult ASAP. You won't get a better result than one from him.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Thats the easiest question asked, the answer is Rahal then Rahal then Rahal. Dr. Rahal hijacked the whole forum. In every category you would see loads of his results not only posted by his clinic like others but posted by patients themselves. I think by now, he is the number 1, no doubt. You must be blessed being from Toronto. Patients like us suffer travelling for hours just to reach to him. Go ahead and never hesitate. Good luck buddy.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Is this a wind up ha ha! You're laughing where you are although i have heard canadians moaning that they live too far away from surgeons before.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Whether $10k will cover it or not will depend on how large the area is as well as your hair characteristics. If you do want to look into Dr Rahal then you could speak with Chad who is based in Toronto.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Well, several people all telling you to go visit the same guy, sounds like a no-brainer to me. I would thought one of these 'senior' posters would have backed me up on the stabilization stuff, but go see Rahal, he'll back me up cause it'll be one of his first questions.

Dude I think you should wait. If you can barely scrounge together 10k to pay for an HT, then it's not for you. It's expensive and a life time commitment. I would say, take the cost that the clinic (Rahal or other) gives, and save 5k extra on top of that.

Dr Rahal has done some great results, but if you're just coming on a forum and asking, "I have 10k, where should I get an HT". You haven't done enough research. Research for about a year before you get your head cut open.

Also, meds really are a must.

Edited by KO