Who are the best FUE doctors?

chris2010

Seeing some really great FUE results from several of the top clinics. It seems logical that the more skilled surgeons that gain experience with it, the results will get better and better. I had a strip procedure with a virtually undetectable scar for which I am very grateful.....combination of great surgeon, following the aftercare exactly and a bit of luck. Because of that, I am planning some additional work to fill in my corners and have decided to go with FUE. I decided against it the first time around, but am more comfortable with the yield and results just a year later. (My second procedure will only be about half the grafts of my first one). This debate will go on forever, but at the end of the day you have to do your research and ultimately trust your surgeon's advice.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Isn't it illegal for technicians to extract grafts?

I personally would only want a doctor cutting my scalp and extracting grafts.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Armani got exposed for his technicians doing all of his work,hence the poor outcomes with FUE.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Some bad doctors / technicians is not the same as all of them being bad. The results of clinics speak for themselves.

Bad technicians will harm a strip operation too - they cut the grafts either way.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I was just directed to this post and I thought I would comment about travel to india. The breakdown for travel for Australia to India:

$950 - budget airline

$420 - 3.5 star hotel (7days)

Spending money factor $50 per day - $350

Total: $1720Us

I think the major cost benefit is for larger mega sessions to compensate for the extra cost associated with travel. For me if I lived in the US and combining the cost it's probably not worth traveling OS for a small session. Btw travel to India is not for the faint hearted.

This is my experience only.

Cheers rod

• 11 months later...

Be wary of doctors who tell patients what they want to hear to get them in the chair.
you mean like how FUT doctors tell their patients there is little chance there will be poor scaring with an ear to ear scar....:rolleyes:

Why did that made you LOL?
cause Dr. True use to bash FUE when Dr. Wodz first made it popular yet he made it a point to sneak into Dr. Wods seminar in NY city and hide in the back hoping Dr. Wodz would not see him.....:rolleyes: I saw this with my own eyes.

I had a consult with him years ago and he stated FUE doesnt work....lol

and now ppl think he is a world class FUE doctor. hardly. they perform FUT and limited FUE so that hardly makes them world class FUE doctors. their website says this is a relatively new procedure. maybe to them its new but to actual world class FUE doctors it isnt.

I have yet to see one large FUE case that either of them have done and their prices are laughable. $8-11 per graft makes me LOL again. if ur gonna charge that kinda money you better be able to back to it up with consistent great results like Dr. Umar does.

I do agree with GNX1 about True and Dorin performing limited FUE, that to me excludes any surgeon from being up there with the best FUE surgeons who constantly work on Norwood 3s and 4s and provide great results.

Hi,

I can read here a lot of discussion over FUE and FUT. I would like to point out few facts about FUE and FUT surgery. These are views of Dr Raghu Reddy:

1. Quality control

After the strip is disected, it is generally passed on to a team of technicians who trim the strip into individual grafts. During the process of trimming there is an unknown entity that comes into play. That is the skill and motivation of the technician. Hence it is a known fact that surgeons that have consistent teams achieve far better results than someone that relies on freelance technicians. Whilst exploring an option of a strip surgery, it is advisable for the patient to meet the team or get to know the team that will be operating.

2. Scarring

It is wellknown fact that strip surgery can produce significant scarring in the donor area, when perfromed by untrained hands. A simple test a patient can perform is to pinch the back of a scalp to check for signs of laxity. If the client is known to have a tight scalp the chances of poor scarring with a strip surgery increases exponentially.

There is a common misconception that FUE leads to pitting scarring. Though it is a fact that badly performed FUE can lead to visible “dot” like marks on the back of the scalp, with improvements in FUE and with the use of Acell, the chances of visible scarring is negligible and by following certain protocols and extraction there is evidence to suggest that the scarring is almost invisible.

3. Placement of grafts

Historically strip surgery has been promoted as a surgery that has better outcomes because of the presence of galar fat at the bottom of the grafts. Whilst it might offer better leverage for the technicians whilst replacing the grafts, studies have shown that the growth of grafts is not dependant on the presence of the galar fat. With improvements in extraction and placement of grafts by FUE, the outcomes are much better than with a strip surgery.

4. Quality of grafts

During the process of extraction of follicles using a strip surgery the number of follicles per graft is significantly less compared to that extracted by FUE. This is because most of the grafts that are extracted with a strip surgery have follicles containing single and double hairs. Whereas with an FUE, the surgeon has complete control over the grafts and he can pick and choose the ones that give maximum benefit to the client.

I represent Dr. Raghu Reddy

Dr. Raghu Reddy is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network.

• 1 year later...

I was in fact not so interested in FUE until I saw not only Dr. Reddy's results but his hair yield per graft based on his cherry picking and the density he gets as a result with relatively low # of grafts. I was originally scheduled for a FUT with Dr. Rahal but had to cancel due to family matter and now with a little more time to consider am thinking that a 2500 no scar FUE might yield more or less the same amount of hairs as a 4k FUT would without a scar and leaving me more donor for a second ht. Though I have diffuse crown thinning as well, I am leaving that to a year of Finasteride (just started) and going to go for a good hairline and it looks to me like Dr. Reddy can do a lot with say 2500 FUE there.

I've subsequently looked into Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Feriduni and Dr. Shapiro but none (to my eye) have as nice hairlines and none seem to get the same hair yield per graft that Dr. Reddy does.

I think he's decent but not a lot of higher NW cases out there which IMO is the real mark of a great surgeon.

I think that even in HT there is room for specialization. One Dr. might be great at repair, another at hairline, another at NW6-7, another at crown. I'm not saying they aren't all part of the same surgical specialty, but it makes sense some would be better than others at sub specialties/skills. Dr. Reddy seems to be to be excellent at getting good/dense hairlines with relatively small amounts of FUEs. Also he does have one posted that he did on 54 year old with pretty advanced balding that was impressive.

I think he's decent but not a lot of higher NW cases out there which IMO is the real mark of a great surgeon.

I think that even in HT there is room for specialization. One Dr. might be great at repair, another at hairline, another at NW6-7, another at crown. I'm not saying they aren't all part of the same surgical specialty, but it makes sense some would be better than others at sub specialties/skills. Dr. Reddy seems to be to be excellent at getting good/dense hairlines with relatively small amounts of FUEs. Also he does have one posted that he did on 54 year old with pretty advanced balding that was impressive.

I would consider Dr. Lorenzo as well, his cost seems similar to Dr. Reddy. I'm looking for someone who can create an excellent hairline and supporting midline, will do some temple point work, is fairly aggressive, and can get a good hair to follicle yield. For instance in analyzing Dr. Reddy vs Dr. Feriduni FUE Dr. Reddy goes for/gets 2.7 hairs per FU vs 1.7 for Dr. Ferudini. This could be attributed to either skill or choice or a combination of both, but Dr. Reddy clearly has a philosophy of using less FUs and more hairs and, according to his rep here, still maintains 2.2+ hair to fu ratio on the remaining donor area. This is not insignificant; a 2500 FUE that results in 6750 instead of 4250 results in a 50% greater density in the transplanted region.