FUT Strip Scars

Hello my glossy headed brethren,

I am really curious about this, as I am just two weeks post op #2. Obviously this differs from person to person, based on their surgeons level of skill, and a patients tendency to scar, but does anyone actually have an undetectable Strip scar? We all want to hide the fact that we had this done, but is it possible? Or do most people sport a prominent "smiley face" from ear to ear for the rest of their lives?

I would love to have the option of going short with my hair in the future, My surgeon seems optimistic about it, but I am a bit of a worrier, especially after reading some horror stories on here.

2/14/2011 Surgery #1 Dr. Ivan Cohen - 1539 grafts, 1's - 475

2's - 989

3's - 75

2/20/2012 Surgery #2 Dr. Carlos Wesley - 2570 grafts

Best case scenario is it will be "almost" smooth and "almost" the same color as the surrounding skin. Any kind of nick/cut/puncture to the skin will scar to some degree.

Best thing to do is follow post op instructions to a T, don't bend over, don't lift anything, and no exercise until you are completely healed.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

In the best case scenario it will be pencil thin and you can wear your hair buzzed to a number 2 or 3. If you wanted to go closer than that then I would say strip surgery was not the right path to have taken. After my first HT with dr. Feller I was able to pull that off. Then my scar stretched a tad and I would say a 6-7 was the closest I could buzz. This surgery we left the staples in longer (14 days) and I am refraining from lifting weights for at least 2-3 months. So far so good but I am just 1 month out, so time will tell.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

It takes time to heal #1. I have had 3 FUT's and I just have my stylist trim the sides and bad with scissors and it works like a charm. I get it cut very short without any issue

I never understand the majority of people so concerned with "buzzing down" their sides. In my mind, the whole purpose of a HT was to have a normal haircut. How many 30 -40 year old professionals are walking around with crewcuts?

If buzz cut is the focus then yes, FUE may be the answer but it is very expensive and generally small in terms of graft count.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hello my glossy headed brethren,

I am really curious about this, as I am just two weeks post op #2. Obviously this differs from person to person, based on their surgeons level of skill, and a patients tendency to scar, but does anyone actually have an undetectable Strip scar? We all want to hide the fact that we had this done, but is it possible? Or do most people sport a prominent "smiley face" from ear to ear for the rest of their lives?

I would love to have the option of going short with my hair in the future, My surgeon seems optimistic about it, but I am a bit of a worrier, especially after reading some horror stories on here.

i was told by my hair transplant docter which i regret going with that 5mm and scar would be undetectable, this is supose be true but ive been left wth nasty scar and can see scar miles of with 5mm, but with right docter its true scar should only be small and theres still the skin pigmentationtattoo method to think of which i will be doing to cover my scar if i want it buzz cut

In the best case scenario it will be pencil thin and you can wear your hair buzzed to a number 2 or 3. If you wanted to go closer than that then I would say strip surgery was not the right path to have taken. After my first HT with dr. Feller I was able to pull that off. Then my scar stretched a tad and I would say a 6-7 was the closest I could buzz. This surgery we left the staples in longer (14 days) and I am refraining from lifting weights for at least 2-3 months. So far so good but I am just 1 month out, so time will tell.

Hi how and when did your scar stretch? is this during healing process as ive seen a scar after 1 month on here from dr rahal and there wasnt a scar at all, so how long is scar safe and wont stretch any more from your opinion and experience as i stopped gym 2 months and sides are far worse than back of head where stretching occurs

My scar was ok but stretched to 5mm on one side, mine seemed to stretch between 2 and 3 months post op. I'm leaving the staples in for 30days this time as I feel that this time is crucial for healing and should make things stronger in the long run.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I am not looking to go with a crew cut, but it would be nice to have that option in the future. I am primarily concerned with keeping the back and sides neat, and maybe even buzzed down, and of course enjoying the grafts on top.

Hairthere, you, like so many others, reference a number 2 or 3. What actual lengths are those, like 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch ?

I would imagine that the scar can stretch at any time, but I think the first few months are most crucial.

Cheers,

-Trees

2/14/2011 Surgery #1 Dr. Ivan Cohen - 1539 grafts, 1's - 475

2's - 989

3's - 75

2/20/2012 Surgery #2 Dr. Carlos Wesley - 2570 grafts

My scar was ok but stretched to 5mm on one side, mine seemed to stretch between 2 and 3 months post op. I'm leaving the staples in for 30days this time as I feel that this time is crucial for healing and should make things stronger in the long run.

Same story with me but a little earlier. My scar as tiny.. almost undetectable for the first month, the someone in the mid second month (possibly when I started going back to the gym?) stretched one side to about 5-8mm. The other side looks great, but as it is, a #4 is too short for me.

Same story with me but a little earlier. My scar as tiny.. almost undetectable for the first month, the someone in the mid second month (possibly when I started going back to the gym?) stretched one side to about 5-8mm. The other side looks great, but as it is, a #4 is too short for me.

I wouldn't beat your self up wondering if it was the gym because i treat mine like a land mine i was very careful and took good care of it, no gym etc and never once felt my scalp tighten laughing or throwning it just stretched so it's one of them things. The only time i can't account for was when i was asleep so this time i have a face pillow where i sleep on my face with the top of my head hanging over not touching or rubbing anything so lets see what happens ha ha.

Edited by bonkerstonker

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

• 3 years later...

you can't really take follicles to close above or below a scar because even when someone's hair grows out later, you've "thinned out" this area out even further and the scar will become more easily visible.. so essentially docs or techs will try and steer away from follicles/grafts in close proximity of the FUT scar

I just posted my 2 week post op donor area pics w Dr. Shapiro if you want something to compare. Sure there's a linear scar but I think some severely overhype the significance. Do you want hair on your head? Let your dilemma be a 3 blade vs a 2 blade lol. Sounds like a good problem.