Redness 5 Wks post op

I apologize that the photos are not the greatest of quality but I'm very concerned about the amount of scalp redness. I tried Nazzoral shampoo last night and I believe it has helped with the redness. Is this common? Will this have a negative impact on the final outcome?

0.jpg.9cce2bc754a927946165974e10dc4b02.jpg

1.jpg.05e6f5a8460b668ce68a51eb87097cd6.jpg

At 5 weeks the recipient area looks more red than is normal. This doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong, you may have very sensitive and pale skin which shows worse than other cases. I can't tell very well from the photos but it seems like you may still have some scabs? If you do you should try and remove them after softening them up with baby oil or warm water. You may want to see your surgeon just to get a check up.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Yea, I would get in touch with the surgeon and find out if it is infection. It is a little more red than usual. How long have you been applying the toppik? Maybe it may have irritated the area as it contains tiny sheep whool fibers.

BTW, I had redness for quite a while. IF you look at my monthly picture updates/video you'll see. I think everyone just heals differently.

Good Luck.

Edited by Sean

jleb,

I agree with what other members have said so far. It does look unusually red for 5 weeks post-op, but this is not necessarily a sign of infection or problem. If there's any way you can take better quality, high resolution photos, that would be helpful.

It sounds like you've done the right thing by discussing your concerns with your physician and it sounds like you're on the right track to remedy it.

I too suggest laying off any concealer or topical treatments on the recipient area until the redness goes down. If the crown isn't red, feel free to continue using Rogaine, but if you're using the liquid, be careful it doesn't drip down into the front area causing further irritation.

Please do keep us posted.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks bill and sorry that you couldnt open the link. I will keep you posted and hopefully I can get this all cleared up. Do think this will imact the final outcome in any way? Thanks again

Good advice from Bill and others. The multiple forms of alchohol based inactive ingredients in Rogaine or other forms of topical minoxidil products can potentially irritate and cause damage to the recipient area if there is any exposed tissue/scabbing.

I would also not encourage the use of Nioxin (a scalp invigorator/cleanser) to the recipient area, but again, the best thing to do is "follow your doctor's advice".

IMHO, there is no damage to your transplanted follicles because they are seated in the dermis layer of tissue where the blood supply exists. It appears to me that the irritation is confined to the outer epidermis layer. Many times we may find that increases of collagen to the area along with topical steroids can make a world of difference. Again these are only observations that i have made over the years.

Yet as lay people, our opinions are not medical advice nor should be considered as such.:)

I wish you the best in complete healing and future growth, you are going to be just fine with time and further healing.;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi,

6 weeks post-op I still have rather intensive redness. A week ago dr. Rahal recommended taking Cortate cream 3 times a day. Also few days ago he added that I should stop using Rogaine temporarily.

Actually, when I take the shower in the morning it is less red. Then, I apply Cortate, and after 30-60 minutes the redness becomes more inte nse.

It drives me crazy, as I need to go to a job interview soon.

I would appreciate an opinion/advise.

Thank you

Hi,

6 weeks post-op I still have rather intensive redness. A week ago dr. Rahal recommended taking Cortate cream 3 times a day. Also few days ago he added that I should stop using Rogaine temporarily.

Actually, when I take the shower in the morning it is less red. Then, I apply Cortate, and after 30-60 minutes the redness becomes more inte nse.

Thank you

TIME....it sucks, but thats all it takes....its a matter of waiting....:mad:

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I have more day left on my z-pack. It appears that some of the redness has subsided but it could be my imagination. I will keep you guys posted and hope for the best. Thanks

Hi,

Thank you

Would you mind posting some photos?

jleb,

How are things going at this point? Any improvement?

Wishing you the best.:cool:

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Glad to hear that things have improved for you and time indeed is the one factor that requires a fair amount of patience. Things should continue to improve. ;)

Gillenator