Please review my bald head.

BaldBadger

Yes Badger you're research is miles off. And this is not a forum where you are going to be able to teach anybody anything, its the other way round mate. For example, after years of being on finasteride I went off it for 18 months. It took me 6+ months to notice any difference. Results vary with coming off finsateride, but you have zero practicle experience of your own and your research skills leave something to be desired. Don't bother with naything in life if its all too much of a pain to do. We exist on this forum to tell you what IS possible, but you don't want any genuine advice that's become clear to me.

Yes I am clearly retarded and might as well shoot myself.

anyway enough of the patronising.......

Does anyone buy Propecia online? Can I get an online prescription and buy a load of the stuff? How much does it cost on a monthly basis?

How long does it take for Propecia to start working? I have just read it takes 6-12 months. But I will now probably be told I am an idiot for reading something online which is not true.

In 6-12 months the hair I have left on my head will seriously diminish in that time, so before Propecia evens starts working I will have lost a lot of the hairs on my head anyway. OR am I talking bollox again?

Perhaps someone else knows where to get this off a reliable source online. But if you do go through the standard channel (of doctor consultation) then the cheapest way of getting finasteride is by getting proscar or a generic proscar. You can cut this up with a pill cutter and take a quarter tablet per day. Forget propecia its expensive and just 1mg of finasteride. As an idea find a doctor that will let you get prescription re-issues rather than visit every time you want it.

Most Drs will prescribe 30 tablets at once which is 120 days supply. This will be ultra cheap if you use a generic of proscar.

You can fax prescriptions to some places too if your local drug store is a rip off.

After being on proscar 2 years I talked my doctor into giving me 90 tablets which lasts me 360 days. Converting from my own currency I can get 30 tabs of generic proscar for about $28US (and I just saw a new generic that just came out for $11US which is over the counter!). Actual proscar costs me $80US but sure costs vary all over the world.

I think someone on here said that a lot of those tiny hairs sitting there may revive, it happened for me and others I know, I hope you are a good responder. While finasteride can be quoted as taking a while to start 'working' I think after 6-8 weeks its already doing a great job working for you...only time would tell but online anecdotal may give you some more idea.

Edited by KiwiGuy500

BB, Your attitude leaves a bit to be desired. In fact, you should be thanking people for taking their free time to administer advice and for giving it to you straight. The bottom line is you should take meds if you feel they are the right choice for you after doing proper research.

As Kiwi already said, you can get the generic brand for cheap, although you will have to quarter the pill yourself. And if it's too much bother swallowing it every day I'm not sure you'll have the patience to cut it up into 1/4s (not saying this to be a jerk, it actually is a bit of a pain in the arse).

Regarding FUE versus strip, if your goal is to keep your hair buzzed tight then you should go with FUE. Just make sure you understand the limitations of this procedure before you decide to go down that path, and that means doing proper due diligence and consulting with only the best HT docs.

Best of luck to you, and try not to take anything personally on this forum. The majority of the posters, including the ones on this thread, are simply trying to pay forward their experience and knowledge to the best of their ability. But at the end of the day it's you who will have to make the choices on the right course of action.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

BB

As hairthere stated, not quite sure where all the attitude is coming from...I spend a lot of time on this forum sharing experience AND LEARNING!! Ive learned so much in the past 1.5 years!! We are simply trying to give the advice we have learned and pass it on!!! Meds are a good thing, especially with your degrees of hair loss...anyway, good luck to you!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Badger.....I think I read somewhere that only 7% of men do anything about their balding. 93% do nothing. So if you decide to do nothing because of costs, side effects, hassle, whatever....you will be in the large majority. There is no shame in that....that's what most guys do.

Getting super-active about fighting one's baldness is neither cheap or hassle free. From your statements and tone I honestly don't think you are ready to fight the fight. It's a long fight, a life long commitment. But obviously you are interested in getting more info and joining this forum is a smart first step.

I would hang around and stay active on this message board...I learn something new almost every day....also make an appointment with one of the hair transplant doctors in the videos I posted earlier and get a consultation. Many of the issues and concerns regarding hair loss solutions can change over time as one learns more about the whole picture. Sometimes what appears as a problem at first glance makes sense as you learn more about the puzzle. I am still trying to get educated myself and this is a great place to do it.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Hi my baldness is same as you or even worse, i have same view about propecia and minoxidil, its been 2 years and 2 fut transplants later and im not happy its thin and horrible on top and need another no surgen has said its not possible but its who to trust for my third as no money and one donor site, tattooing ill be considering next you heard of that?

me too no doctor.....

but since he seems opposed to meds,

has a great deal of hairloss, likes to keep his hair short

and may decide against surgery....

he may be a good candidate for the scalp tattoo solution.

Badger check out the scalp tatoo links below:

(link removed by moderator)

This looks interesting. Do you know how short can you keep your hair after the tatoo procedure?

Edited by TakingThePlunge

Sorry MillionHair (btw cool name!) I just really found out about scalp tats myself. I am not at that level at this time, so it's not really one of my options right now. Although if I was a lot more bald I would certainly look into it more because from what I've seen it looks much better than completely bald and/or the big horse-shoe pattern. I have wondered how well the tat ages...as far as if your side stubble goes gray with age do the tats fade? Because it wouldn't look cool to have gray sides and a super dark top at 65 years old.

Edited by Shampoo

BB, 100% agree with hairthere. I've been so mad about the hair I (uncharacteristically ), punched a hole in the wall, we all been there. So to use a bit of anecdotal: I came off finasteride due to be being concerned by side effects, but not actually experiencing any. At this time Merck were getting rich off me as I was taking propecia and generics were not available. Coming off meds turned out to be a really bad move. After some 18 months off it I got got super whispy up top. To quote a well known poster I was 'heading straight into baldsville', hell I was gunning for mayor!

Anyway, at that time I realised I really did not want to be the mayor of baldsville and decided the meds risks were outweighed by what was for me, known benefits. As I was messed by previous doctors in late 90's and round 2000, I knew it was going to look really awful, (plug scars aint pretty). So going back on finasteride absolutely thickened up my hair the second time round as well. It took 6 months of being regular but it happened, combination with 1% or 2% Nizoral a must. I then went in for surgery 1 year after that first 6 months.

Despite the fact that my situation was really grim after the 18 months off finasteride, going back on meant that for me surgery had a point, if it didn't work, or I was off it, there would have been none. But you know mate I had to be patient and that is the tough bit.

The last point to explain is this, that if you are stabilized, then there are a few select drs out there who are MASTERS at creating a head of hair you can enjoy, they operate on like you are a friend, thats how much respect some of them will treat you with. Yes they charge you but when it comes to the surgery side they're humanitarians too. Find the right guy and he wont sell you down the river.

Failing all else, ACELL transplant technology has potential, it could mean a guy like you can have access to more donor supply than ever previously thought. You have the virgin scalp, stay that way until you know ultimately what you want to do. Do not risk it on a dodgy dr cause your case has zero potential for a false move needing repair, it would need to be right first time.

Sorry MillionHair (btw cool name!) I just really found out about scalp tats myself. I am not at that level at this time, so it's not really one of my options right now. Although if I was a lot more bald I would certainly look into it more because from what I've seen it looks much better than completely bald and/or the big horse-shoe pattern. I have wondered how well the tat ages...as far as if your side stubble goes gray with age do the tats fade? Because it wouldn't look cool to have gray sides and a super dark top at 65 years old.

Thanks. I was thinking about that too. What if the hair starts to gray and what about the tattoo part. It would be half dark on top and white on the sides.

Has anybody on the forum have had this procedure done?

I was thinking about that too. What if the hair starts to gray and what about the tattoo part. It would be half dark on top and white on the sides. Has anybody on the forum have had this procedure done?

I agree.... with any of these hair "solutions" it's always best to think about the long term. I would doubt there are many on this forum that have had this procedure done. From what I understand it is still relatively new and possibly still evolving as an industry. As with any of the hair solution categories be it wigs, hair systems, hair transplant surgery, and now scalp tats....each one is "not for everybody". I could see myself really looking into this before I walked around with a completely bald look. I also wonder if this somehow might be done in a way that could help say a year or two after a hair transplant to aid giving a look of more density to a transplanted head. I'd like to see someone that has done that.

Cheers for everyones help, support and feedback......

I have been researching HT's for 2 months and have not really got anywhere. Surgeons/clinics don't reply, or if they do its ping pong emails which are getting know where. One surgeon recommends this, another that, I am starting to give up.

So I am heading for the pills.

Can anyone let me know a legitimate online source where I can get this 'generic pill' ???

Is this proscar? finesteride? what do I need to buy? Thanks.

I have been researching HT's for 2 months and have not really got anywhere. Surgeons/clinics don't reply, or if they do its ping pong emails which are getting know where. One surgeon recommends this, another that, I am starting to give up.

Hello Badger.

I think it's a good you have decided to get on the meds regardless of what else you do.

As far as doctor's offices, I too have noticed some of them are a bit slow about returning e-mails.

I suggest you call instead of e-mail and make an appointment for a in-person consult.

By your posting name I assume you are in Wisconsin which puts you close to one of the world's best hair transplant surgery clinics in Minneapolis. (Shapiro Medical Group). I have corresponded with Janna at Shapiro and she is very quick to respond. I suggest you may want to start your search with a call to Janna.

I have found in all areas of medicine it is not uncommon for different doctors to recommend different treatments. You just have to find a doctor you trust and go with his/her suggestions.