Please review my bald head.

BaldBadger

Hi, Could some surgeons give me some feedback on my bald head. I am hoping to get a hair transplant.

What is the best that could be done for me, please respond with your views on what can be done via FUE and what can be done by FUT also.

Thank you kindly.

Back1.jpg.797fbd5e07f2d6a3371d4b36eb212798.jpg

Top1.jpg.55e09e7edb45ee5efc007af6641c1478.jpg

You shouldn't consider transplantation until you've used preventative medication like rogaine foam and propecia because you are considered a high Norwood stage (looks like a 6 currently). These medications can regrow a lot of miniaturized hairs audit appears you have quite a bit of them so I think you'll see good results with them. After a year you should get reevaluated and only then consider doing transplantation.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not totally sure why people are so into Propecia and Minoxidil.

From what I have read regrowth is unlikely on Propecia, but it has a good chance of maintaining hair. There is no point in myself trying to maintain the thin hair I have left as I am at the stage where I have to shave it short, I would be spending all that money and all the rest of my life on a pill to save the few hairs that are left.

Even if I had some regrowth it won't be enough to be worthwhile taking these pills day in day out until I die.

I have also heard that for some people it stops working after a while. Also what happens when you want to have kids, you have to stop taking it? so then all your good work comes to an end and your hair falls out? I want kids so tats another reason why I would not take this stuff.

From what I have seen from photos people as bald as me have had hair transplants so I am not sure why I can't just go for surgery.

The hair I have on top of my head is virtually nothing so it might as well be ignored in terms of what little extra it can help achieve in creating the final result, it will disappear anyway.

If I am not a good candidate in terms of donor area then I am probably screwed, but what I would like to know is what is the best result I could expect. By this I mean coverage and density.

Also I have already spoken to a couple of surgeons and they had no problems at all with me not taking Propecia etc, it was not even mentioned.

Edited by BaldBadger

I am by no means a doctor, however I would say you are NOT a candidate for FUE...You need a mega session or two...Your donor area appears to be decent but your hair is so short its kinda hard to tell...you really need to go have a consult in person with one of the top quality doctors on this site...as far as meds go,,you do have A LOT of miniaturized hairs on top that could benefit from the meds...without meds, well you are certainly gonna lose them..that small amount of hair you have on top, if it were healthy, would make a HUGE difference!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

You have a lot more than "virtually nothing" I strongly urge you to use them you would be surprised how many patients I see in the exact same position you are see a very nice change in their appearance from meds. If you're serious about getting the best results, keeping your hair and having them healthy you should start these. Right now you would need more than one procedure of a minimum of 2500 each time. Also your donor doesn't look ideal as it appears to be diffuse. Consult with a recommended doctor and see what they say but Iagain you see like a great candidate for the meds it can really make a difference and save you a lot of hair nada lot of money in the long run.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The thing that annoys me about meds, is the money, the pain it is to take the flaming things and most of all waiting, and hoping every day for some progress, I'd rather just live my life than have the hassle.

If I still had a decent head of hair then I would probably take them, with my hair like this I just can't be bothered with the hassle of hope and expectation and physically taken pills or rubbing sticky liquid on my scalp for the next 50 years of my life. Its not for me.

I would like a HT via FUE but have thin coverage, I simply just want to frame the face and avoid the slap head look. My hair would be kept short, grade 1 or 2.

If you are ok with a very thin look than you can do it. I still think you should try the meds for a year and see what happens and if nothing changes you can stop them. It could potentially regrow a lot of hair and I'll say it one more time you appear to be a good candidate for it. Your call

If you are ok with a very thin look than you can do it. I still think you should try the meds for a year and see what happens and if nothing changes you can stop them. It could potentially regrow a lot of hair and I'll say it one more time you appear to be a good candidate for it. Your call

I don't think a 'very thin look' would be ideal lol.

If you look at the photo of the top of my scalp, you see the hair at the front of my head, the 2 inch square patch. I would hope to get that thickness all over and buzz it to a grade 1 or 2.

I'll consider the meds, but committing myself to 20+ years of taking meds is a huge commitment, and a lot say even if these meds work they do wear off after 5+ years anyway.

So it does not give me much confidence.

BaldBadger,

You are a solid NW6 on the hairloss chart and you are going to get worse without Propecia. I guarantee it. However, you have a lot of miniaturized hair on your scalp that can be revived (not will be, but can be) through the use of Propecia. I compare the daily use of Propecia to brushing your teeth. You brush every day to keep your teeth, so take the pill every day to keep your hair. Simple. And no, it does not wear off and stop working after five years. That is a myth. I've been on it for ten years as have thousands of our patients and it has not worn off or stopped working.

If you think waiting to see if the medication will work will drive you crazy then you are not mentally prepared for the waiting associated with a hair transplant. You will put yourself through eight months of Hell hoping, wondering, waiting, biting your nails etc. In the meantime you could be on Propecia and instead of waiting for it to thicken your hair you could just forget about it with the full expectation that it would arrest your loss and prevent it from getting worse. That is half the battle right there because if you have a hair transplant you cannot just forget about it regardless of how successful it may be. You will lose more hair and thus require additional work that would make the cost of a daily pill seem miniscule.

Think, learn, apply. Until then do not get a hair transplant.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I understand I will lose more hair, there is not much left to lose.

I would not want a surgeon to take any notice of my thin hair on top when it comes to a HT. I would want them to consider that that hair will disappear so that they cover the whole head in a way that will foresee the future loss so that when those hair goes the hair will look even, I would not care if it looked slightly thicker in areas for the time that those hairs tried to cling on as I would keep my hair short and it would not be an issue.

If I can get the thin coverage I want with a HT then there is no need to keep the thin hair I have on top when these can be replaced by transplanted hairs that I would not need to take medication in order to keep.

BaldBadger

If you are so set on keeping your hair short, why even get a transplant?? You have obviously been without hair for a while...why not just roll with the bald thing....I think you need to do one of two things

1. Go ALL IN...meds, research, future HT, etc

2. Save your money and move on...

I say this because I have heard a lot of knowledgable people, including Jotronic and several doctors say, In order to see the full benefits of a hair transplant, you have to let your hair grow out some..Not dead set on keeping it SHORT...

Jotronic..I hope I didn't miss quote you!

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Simple because short hair on top is HUGELY better than bare scalp on top.

Some people thin out evenly on top. They look better with the evenly thin look than the slap head look. They also still have a framed face as they still have a hairline.

This is my opinion, if you don't agree, then fair enough.

But its what I want that matters.

If it can't be done, it can't be done, but I am pretty sure there is a good chance that it can be done.

I am currently in correspondence with some surgeons about it.

BaldBadger

If you are so set on keeping your hair short

me too no doctor.....

but since he seems opposed to meds,

has a great deal of hairloss, likes to keep his hair short

and may decide against surgery....

he may be a good candidate for the scalp tattoo solution.

Badger check out the scalp tatoo links below:

(Links removed by moderator)

[/url]

Edited by TakingThePlunge

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Simple because short hair on top is HUGELY better than bare scalp on top.

Some people thin out evenly on top. They look better with the evenly thin look than the slap head look. They also still have a framed face as they still have a hairline.

This is my opinion, if you don't agree, then fair enough.

But its what I want that matters.

If it can't be done, it can't be done, but I am pretty sure there is a good chance that it can be done.

I am currently in correspondence with some surgeons about it.

Cool...good luck to you!!! I still think even in your current condition you could see some serious gains from meds...But I also understand your point....What if this tough, what if you were totally bald, slick, on top...and one of the surgeons showed you a picture of the current state of your hair and said " thats the best I can get you back to "...your thin hair on top now is definitely thin, so why not try and hang on to it? In the end its really up to the patient if they wanna take propecia and rogaine and it sound like you have your mind made up..Good luck on your journey!

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Badger....also if you haven't already you should take a look at the following link

and watch as many of the videos as you can over time...

it's educational as well as helpful in choosing a doctor.

Interviews with our recommended hair transplant physicians

Good evening Bald-Badger, If you are a Badger from Wisconsin I would recommend both Dr. Panine (had 3 fut) or Dr. Konior, both in Chicago. You won't go wrong-marcushair. I also agree-don't waste your money on medications. Have the H.T.-it will be done right, permanent, and natural with either of these to Doctors. Don't worry, the surgery will give you happy results. P.S.-Both these H.T. surgeons will be totally honest with you.

Edited by marcushair

IMO, with your advanced NW level you are not a HT candidate based on your expectations of coverage and density and non-willingness to get on meds.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Badger there are plenty of success stories of finasteride / propecia (et al). The course being recommended to you of 12-18 months on these meds is one that is well tested, the side effects are low percentage but they exist. If your loss can be stabilized then something is possible with HT. So if you want to try meds or some other plan, you can always throw yourself open to another assessment in the future. There are really experienced guys on here who will give you real solid advice. You can understand those on here advising not to consider HT though because of your reluctance to consider a plan. And the only doctor who would operate on you at this stage would be probably the worst of the worst. I don't think its too bold for me to say no coalition Dr would do a procedure do it unless you committed to taking meds, re-stabilized and possibly regrown. And these would be the absolute best dr's you would want, if you were ever in a position of getting a HT. Don't give up hope just yet, just consider the advice and continue to educate yourself best you can.

Badger, just to clarify, I am not saying you have to get on meds to have an HT. I have not been on meds and have lost all my hair, but I've had to have 3 strips and 1 FUE to replace it. Luckily I have great laxity and very thick donor. I just think your goal of having overall coverage plus density (and via FUE) is not realistic. Considering your goals, getting on the meds can only help.

Regarding sides, they are very rare and people that do experience them get off the meds and they subside. There have been reports of guys who have persistent libido, etc., issues even after discontinuing the meds, but chances of this are very slim.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Here is why I am not keen on meds:

-Pain in the ass, taking them every day.

-Side effects.

-They are only 65% ish likely to work.

-Cost.

-When you want kids you have to stop taking them or risk harming your baby, this lead me to...

-When you stop taking them I am informed that you lose hair quick.

-You have to take them for as long as you want to keep hair, which is practically your whole life.

In terms of a HT:

I do not want much density, I just want some coverage so I can frame my face and avoid a slap head look.

Baldbadger

Your research is Incorrect. That's why I strongly urge you to keep researching. Meds are successful over 80 percent of the time. You DO NOT have to get off meds to have a baby. This has never even been suggested, anywhere!! Not sure where you are getting g that from.

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Here is why I am not keen on meds

Pain in the ass, taking them every day

No more than taking a one a day vitamin.

No more than brushing your teeth everyday.

No more than using deororant everyday.

Most things that "help us" can be a "pain in the ass".

But it's a pretty minor pain in the ass if it works,

-Side effects.

-They are only 65% ish likely to work.

But if you are in the majority where the meds do work

They save lots of hair and lower hair transplant costs

by holding on to lots of hair instead of needing all transplants.

Cost...

It does cost to have and/or keep hair.

No doubt being bald and/or shaving it all off is cheaper.

Each person must decide if bald is worth saving the money.

-When you stop taking them I am informed

that you lose hair quick. -You have to take them for as long as you want

to keep hair, which is practically your whole life. ...

But as we grow older isnt that how a lot of things work?

If you stop working out....you get fat or out of shape?

If you stop brushing your teeth you get cavaties or root canals.

You stop taking blood pressure medicine your high BP returns.

You have to keep taking blood pressure medicine for as long

as you dont want high blood pressure, which is practically

your whole life.