Shedding of hair grafts at 6th month post op - Worried

Hi there

I had a surgery with Dr. Madhu 6 months back ( my hairloss blog link can be found below) . The results have been very good so far and I do see new hairs sprouting.

However, since the last couple of weeks, ( as I entered the 6th month) , some of the grafts have suddenly started shedding. Everytime I oil/shampoo my hair and run my hand thru it, a bunch of strands are sticking to my palm ( 10-30 of them approx per day). Why are the grafts shedding at 6th month post op. ? Does anyone else have this experience?

My grafts had shed during the expected effluvium phase during the 1st and 2nd month post surgery. I thought 6 month is the time when they start to grow back and not shed! Interestingly, not all grafts had shed earlier- could it be that the ones that hung on are shedding now. I am not entirely convinced as some of the grafts shedding now are thin and small - so its got to be the newly sprouted ones.

I spoke to Dr. Vijeta - an assistant of Dr. Madhu, and she said there's nothing to be worried about. She said that is how my hair cycle would have been set up and the grafts that have dislodged now will grow back after 12-18 months.

But I'm still worried. Well, does anybody else have this kind of experience.Please share your thoughts. I would really appreciate it.

Regards,

HairyBear

P.S: Link to my blog: Hair Restoration Site for HairyBear

Hair loss is normal, we all shed hair everyday and those hairs will go into a dormant state for about 90 days and then regrow. I am not sure what the doctors asssitant was talking about when they said the hair would grow back in 12-18 months. Either you misunderstood them or they are giving you false information, the hairs should start growing back in about 90 days ( 3 months).

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

hello.

I am having the same experience as well with a few newly transplanted hairs, as I am in the 6th month post op, just like you.

Some of them were thin, short, 'fine', and they just had sprouted in an area that formerly was bald, some of them were strong, rough and curly, just like if they had continued growing since the transplant.

I am worried too about if the grafts have been rejected or whatever, but i think they will grow back.

However, I personally think 10-30 transplanted hair are too much to shed daily, if that's what you meant.

She said that is how my hair cycle would have been set up and the grafts that have dislodged now will grow back after 12-18 months.
I think this is too much time for a graft to stay at a dormant phase, maybe she was talking about the complete result?

keep us informed,

best wishes

Edited by sea of possibilities

Transplanted hair regrows like hair that is being regrown by Finasteride or Minoxidil. It starts growing back fine, then sheds and comes back a bit thicker, then sheds, and keeps doing this until it is back to normal caliber. The grafts are probably just going through another phase of maturing. I wouldn't judge the results until 12-18 months.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Hairybair,

I can understand your concern and I wish you good luck for regrowing them back fast. From your pictures on the website, you have come a long way and there is great difference in just 6 months. I like your comment "from bald to balding".

what medications are you taking ?

Regards,

htrocks

My Hair GROWTH Website :):):)

That's my question as well. What new meds you may have started such as minoxidil or finasteride or any other topical application.

It sounds like you started a shed which is not normal for the average HT patient. Grafts should be coming in like crazy at this point in time post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

HairyBear,

Thanks for posting your concerns.

Some shedding is normal as all hair does go through phases. You could also be experiencing a seasonal shed or shedding if you recently started taking Propecia, Rogaine or other hair loss treatments.

Since it's been a month since you posted, do you have any updates for us? Are you still experiencing shedding or has it stopped? How does your hair look?

I look forward to your response.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 3 months later...
Transplanted hair regrows like hair that is being regrown by Finasteride or Minoxidil. It starts growing back fine, then sheds and comes back a bit thicker, then sheds, and keeps doing this until it is back to normal caliber. The grafts are probably just going through another phase of maturing. I wouldn't judge the results until 12-18 months.

So hair that sprouts during the 3rd-4th month sheds several times over the 12-18th month period? I had never heard that.

I assumed that once the hair sprouts, it grows and matures but doesn't shed. Is this not correct? ?

• 2 weeks later...

You are correct sugarhighs. It is not normal for transplanted hair to continue shedding several times after the intial post-op shed. Once the dormant follicles re-enter the growth phase, they remain there for their normal growth period.

Sometimes the new emerging hair does break off because of thinner caliber, but that does not imply that the follicles went dormant again. As the new hair shafts continue growing, they many times gain hair shaft diameter and "fatter" caliber.

We also at times read about patients who grow impatient waiting for the regrowth and then begin various topical treatments and other supplements which can confuse the dormant follicles and hold back the regrowth from their normal behavior.

This can also happen for the guys who never start finasteride until after surgery. This can also potetially hold back the follicles from emerging. The initial start of several hairloss meds like propecia and minoxidil can cause hair follicles to rest and go dormant as Bill was commenting about.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 11 months later...

Right now, I am approx. 6,5 mths post op my last procedure. However, the last 2 weeks I am suffering from a lot of hair loss.

I already haf 2 prior fue procedures. Transplanted hairs are falling out. I am really worried. I can use all help. Will it grow back?

Have you discussed this with your surgeon? Sounds like you also have a shed going on.

Gillenator

My surgeon hasn't replied yet.

But it freaks me out. Every morning, sinds the last 2 weeks I have 30-40 hairs falling out. All transplanted hairs.

In the last 4 years, I had 3 HTs. I never had a shed before. I am really anxious to lose all of my hair.

You may want to call his office directly and inform the staff that you need to speak with your surgeon due to the massive shedding going on at this point post-op.

Gillenator