Has anybody else had nipple pain on Finasteride?

sjones23

If your side effects don't subside within 2 weeks, you may want to try taking it every other day. Some people have done that and the side effects go away and it still works to help your hair.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Thanks for the advice i might try it every other day, my worry is if i have a pain in my nipple then like other members have said the pain goes away after a few days or a week or so, what if its still going to give me man boobs with out any pain

• 1 month later...
Yes.

It drove me Fxxxxxg crazy for 3 weeks then went away.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Okay, I didn't know you were taking finasteride ...so I gotta ask if you don't mind...have you ever had a transplant before? Who performed the surgery?

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had any pain but i did get gyno under my nipple but i was doing weights and training hard which is a known cause for gyno but it did make me question if finasteride had a play in it too, i'll never know i suppose.

If Dr Lindsey has had a op the smart money would be on Feller doing it for him.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I had the nipple pain in one nipple only and chucked the finasteride. :(

Thing is when I was about 13 I had a growth spurt and surge in hormone levels. Apparently the quick increase in T caused a good bit of it to aromatise and turn to E. Unfortunately I got a small bit of breast tissue, not visible but sore and palpable. On the plus side once DHT levels came up to par (5 alpha reductase levels must have taken awhile to increase naturally) after about a month it starting going away and was gone after 2 months.

When I tried finasteride I felt the same nipple getting sore and puffy so I said no way do I want this happening and got off it. Sucks that it affected me like that but everything was fine after a few weeks.

I had the nipple pain in one nipple only and chucked the finasteride. :(

Thing is when I was about 13 I had a growth spurt and surge in hormone levels. Apparently the quick increase in T caused a good bit of it to aromatise and turn to E. Unfortunately I got a small bit of breast tissue, not visible but sore and palpable. On the plus side once DHT levels came up to par (5 alpha reductase levels must have taken awhile to increase naturally) after about a month it starting going away and was gone after 2 months.

When I tried finasteride I felt the same nipple getting sore and puffy so I said no way do I want this happening and got off it. Sucks that it affected me like that but everything was fine after a few weeks.

A common thing in puberty, and something that I suffered with.

I didnt take any drugs to stop it, my hormones just balanced themselves out, much like yours did by the sounds of it.

DHT does keep oestrogen at bay in men, so if you lower it, then you do have more chance of experiencing oestrogenic effects such as this.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

Hi Guys i was just wondering if anybody else has had nipple pain while being on Fin, i just weighing up my options for taking or not taking meds

Thanks

have a good day

Hello,

I urge to immediately consult with your physician for any perceived negative reaction to any medication. Err on the side of caution and let your doctor rule out the medical treatment or confirm. Either way your health is not worth any risk.

MIchael James

FUE Scalp Laxity - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients

Patient advocate US Hair Restoration centers.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Does anyone know if Merck has included this as one of the reported sides in their clinical trials? I have always cut Proscar so I suppose the data is at the Propecia website.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

A common thing in puberty, and something that I suffered with.

I didnt take any drugs to stop it, my hormones just balanced themselves out, much like yours did by the sounds of it.

DHT does keep oestrogen at bay in men, so if you lower it, then you do have more chance of experiencing oestrogenic effects such as this.

Wonder if it makes us more susceptible to sides like this? Seems like DHT is important for the hormonal balance for us. I know DHT is an antagonist to E, and T can either undergo changes to E or DHT. I'd like to take it but damn it's not worth it for me anyway.

Finasteride is a specific hormone inhibitor and do not believe that it lowers DHT so much as it inhibits it.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Finasteride is a specific hormone inhibitor and do not believe that it lowers DHT so much as it inhibits it.

I've been doing research in to this and it lowers and inhibits the aplha 5 enzyme which lowers the conversion of tesosterone to dht.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Thankfully, no nipple pain here. I've taken Propecia daily for 13+ years. I recently had a series of medical and blood tests done, because of my concern about the safety of long-term finasteride use. You may find the results interesting:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/163746-those-considering-starting-finasteride-therapy.html

I assure you it does. By about 60% or so. It inhibits 5 alpha reductase which is an enzyme that converts some T to DHT. It's the lock and key idea. If you block the receptor or binding site on 5 alpha reductase you physically stop it interacting with T and therefore reduce the amount of DHT. It inhibits the action of 5 alpha reductase not DHT. It is correct to say it reduces DHT and it does so substantially.

It is quite unlikely that DHT in the scalp is the final step. It would be far better to intervene further down the cascade insitu but no one has figured it out yet. It is looking increasingly likely that stopping the inflammatory action at the follicles is closer to the ultimate solution. It can be done in the short term with injections but these will cause scarring over time and is not an option.

Anecdotally I can tell you that this has been done in a case where a balding man was also losing his eyebrows. A European surgeon managed to get eyebrow regrowth for 6 months for the man's wedding but of course it was only done a couple of times as it would cause severe scarring over time. Eyebrows disappeared a year later.