"u can always just shave it" fue option

Everybody wants fue, myself included, because of the option of shaving your head in the future with no linear scar. I for one have seen a fair amount of ht scars with guys with longer hair and think they're much more obvious than people on here want to admit.

My question is how would it look with a fue in the frontal third when thats pretty much all the hair you have there? Is it going to look natural if you buzz it down with the healthy, transplanted hair in the front and a nw 4-5. My hope for me and the rest of us is that we could just do another fue for a full, yet less dense look, that still hopefully looks natural.

Everybody wants fue, myself included, because of the option of shaving your head in the future with no linear scar. I for one have seen a fair amount of ht scars with guys with longer hair and think they're much more obvious than people on here want to admit.

I fully agree, i've seen scars that are obvious even when buzzed to a 3 or 4.

I know someone who did fue for just the hairline, then buzzed his whole head. It gives a very cool and confident look. But its also a very expensive way just to rebuild a hairline shadow.

There was a thread a month ago where past fue patients said they buzzed to a 1 with no visible signs. Its somewhere on this forum.

I kept my hair long for my FUE procedure. But it did not look good given that I am a Norwood 4 and had rebuild a lower hairline. My hair was not long and dense enough to cover it. By the 10th day, I decided to buzz off my entire head to make it a somewhat natural look all around.

Is it going to look natural if you buzz it down with the healthy, transplanted hair in the front and a nw 4-5.

It can look natural if the hair is transplanted to lie flat on the scalp, and not spike up.

HT surgeons seem to plant on the spikey so when it is buzzed down it looks terrible alongside the softer, and often thinning, native hair.

Natural doesn't always look good though. I saw a guy with a NW6 + sparse FUE + buzz this the other day on another site, and to be frank, it didn't look too good. He just didn't have enough grafts, or he had the native hair on the sides too long. Whatever, but he did look natural, nobody would give him a second glance and wonder.

So the flatter the hair, the more coverage you get for the buzz look, and the better it will blend in.

I've had almost 8,000 FUE. While I'm lucky to have high donor density when shaved down it looks very thin, especially in certain areas in the donor. There are also the white dots that are visible, some more than others. Frankly my donor doesn't look normal at anything shorter than a 3 guard.

I agree with Scar5's above post. Transplanted hairs do not look great when short or buzzed. They are so thick and not close enough to each other (the best dense packing can't match nature) that it does not look right at close inspection. HT's look best when grown out.

FUE (for the most part) allows for a hair transplant without the traditional scar. I myself have had 3 FUT and 1 FUE but I can buzz down to about guard 2 . At my age (40) I have no need to go shorter. How many professionals have a "buzz" cut??

The whole purpose, in my view, of having these procedures is to sport a normal haircut. Short hair was better when I was thinning and now I want a real haircut.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• Moderators
The whole purpose, in my view, of having these procedures is to sport a normal haircut. Short hair was better when I was thinning and now I want a real haircut.

What happens when someone who thinks that way has a HT and then later ends up with what would have been a NW7 ? Then he still has thinning hair and keeping it long looks like a combover. Going back to cutting it short and the scar shows.

What do you do then?

I would love to be able to get a normal haircut!

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Hello

This is why it is essential your hairloss is stabilized. Don't get me wrong, I can still have a guard 2 with no problem so I can have a short haircut. Almost all of my hair on the top is from transplants. Further, I have had all of my procedures over the course of 7 years so this allows for a progressive "fill in" and to compensate for any gradual loss. Based on my plan, I can still have one more strip if needed.

At the end of the day, you need to decide what is best for you. For me, my plan has been spot on and I could not be happier with my results. FUE is great but there is no way I could afford the same result (time and money) as opposed to the plan I have completed

Edited by MrJobi

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Let me re-phrase because it may have sounded pessimistic.

Yes, you CAN buzz an FUE and it DOES look and it, IMO, is the BEST reason to get FUE, but the caveat is IF the hair lies flat and doesn't spike up. Get the doc to understand that first!! Beat it into him/her!! They don't listen!

Having the option to buzz is definitely a plus for a balding guy and having a strip scar and losing the top or crown is a miserable place for many - including me.

Also, coloring the hair helps, although it is a pain in the ass to do it with shorter hair.

I have been over harvested with FUE and strip scarred (3 long visible scars) but the 'dots' represent no dilemma to me. The gaps between hairs, are a problem at certain lengths. From a week post-buzz to nearly a month, it looks crap.

I went to a budget HT hair clinic for my first FUEs and I got the results tally with that.

Nevertheless, for all my FUE misadventures, it is still the horizontal lines of the strip scars that have done me in, not the FUE.

So don't blow off the idea of FUE and short hair!! But remember, that it has to be done 'right'. So what can you do to make absolutely sure you made the right steps to achieve that it is done right? That is the question.

WOW For once I feel proud of a thread Ive started. Im incredibly pleased with all the great insights and opinions and I hope others benefit from this thread.

I'm really getting thin in the frontal third and would love to get a conservative yet large fue procedure with Dr Shapiro. I have good hair characteristics but wont ever use fin again.

Best case: The beautiful, conservative hairline by dr ron shapiro looks amazing. My hair characteristics and caesar-like hair style compensate for not using fin. Like my father, my loss is pretty much all in the front third.

Worst Case: The thinning in the nw4 area increases and the frontal third is bald except for my transplanted hair. The thick hair in the front is thicker and looks unnatural. Its obvious I had an HT and life sucks.

Whats more likely?? I'd love to buy 10 years of decent hair with an ht, but I want to look natural if the worst case happens. would pics help???

For once I feel proud of a thread Ive started. Im incredibly pleased with all the great insights and opinions and I hope others benefit from this thread. I'm really getting thin in the frontal third and would love to get a conservative yet large fue procedure with Dr Shapiro. I have good hair characteristics but wont ever use fin again. Best case: The beautiful, conservative hairline by dr ron shapiro looks amazing. My hair characteristics and caesar-like hair style compensate for not using fin. Like my father, my loss is pretty much all in the front third. Worst Case: The thinning in the nw4 area increases and the frontal third is bald except for my transplanted hair. The thick hair in the front is thicker and looks unnatural. Its obvious I had an HT and life sucks. Whats more likely?? I'd love to buy 10 years of decent hair with an ht, but I want to look natural if the worst case happens. would pics help???