UK to NY 3000+ Strip graft with Dr.Feller Thru Spex.

Papillion

Hi,

(Background)

I have no vested interests and speak independently.

For those interested I'd like to post a quick r?sum? of my situation and experiences. I happen not to be the sort whom either spends time, or posts, on forums in general. Hair loss is by definition a personal issue and I've tended to find it makes people rather fickle. Add to this a band of people with vested interests and a culture of non to limited improvements of the past I decide to stay away from the tickle tackle.

That said I did my own research and came to the conclusion that the time had come to take affirmative action and have a transplant.

My situation was to some extent unique in that I had a combination of problems that made my hair the bane of my life. As a child I briefly had a problem that resulted in me picking away bits of my scalp which created scars where hair never grew back. To add to this I always had very fine hair and as I grew older started to thin too. (anything else ffs?)

In reflection I'm unsure as to whether I'm a result of my hair (becoming retracted from society or whether Id have still gone self employed and almost misanthropic anyway :P) either way I found myself concentrating on work rather than being the life of the party.

It goes without saying I was temperamental about my hair. I was equally frustrated at the fact I had to go through loads of almost idiosyncratic procedures to give my lackluster thinning hair some support to make it act a bit more like other people's seemed to act.:rolleyes:

I didn't particularly keep up with advances in hair tech due to the acceptance that there were lots of unscrupulous types with nothing of substance to offer.

How many times can you honestly say things have improved in your own circumstances? From my experience it all goes in one direction, you almost become expectant of no or little improvement.

(Action)

I can't honestly recall where I first learned of Dr. Feller and Spex. I realised though that there had been a real shift in surgery results and that if I was serious about getting the best job I could I had to leave the UK and go where, dare I say, the areas of cosmetic surgery is more developed. (there are no doubt people screaming at the screen now, you can have the debate all you like, I wanted results)

I don't know enough about the industry to know with certainty who is 'top dog', I believe that it will always be a subjective matter, but needless to say I was satisfied Dr. Feller had at the very least served his apprenticeship and I liked the findings of my research.

A lot must be said at this point for Spex. It would be understandable for individuals thinking about surgery to believe affiliations to surgeons would mean the ubiquitous 'sell' that tends to come from the unscrupulous. Simply not so, with the relationship between Spex, the clients and Dr. Feller. It is difficult to emphasise without sounding biased, how professional and honest the relationship is. You only actually know the situation after you've been through it, at which time you realise its all genuine. Spex really does give you the honesty and guidance and Dr. Feller really does offer you as good a job as you can expect from anyone (if not better?) and the whole situation pulls together all wanting the same thing as the client.....a satisfied customer.

Dr Feller certainly knows his apples, he has worked to improve the industry and is surprisingly approachable. As mentioned, my situation was a personal one, it was a surreal experience to have within minutes of arriving at his surgery, the very issues that I had spent my life attempting to cover (both metaphorically and literally) explained to me. To say I felt relief to be at the hands of somebody who understood the situation and would do his utmost to improve things for me would be an understatement.

We were of slightly different persuasions politically, but I would find it hard to believe there are people who wouldn't get on with the man unless they have some kind of issues or their own agenda. He is intelligent and seemingly can talk about all subjects with a welcoming persona.

To dwell on his character does his expertise, and application of his team a disservice. He has clearly spent time thinking about the whole process and makes sure it runs smoothly.

His team are friendly yet professional. I brought them chocolate,..... smarmy? I don't think so, why wouldn't you appreciate every cog in the machine?

(Conclusion)

I am now 5 months post surgery (Jan '12) and am very happy with the results. I'm told that I am still in the recovery period and potentially more growth may occur. In truth I'd take this right now. Having hair that is by definition thicker (from the back of the head) in places that I had little is great. To think of an analogy I'd say it was like putting on a warm coat in winter, it just makes styling etc an experience I can't recall for a very long time suffering. It has also drastically changed my day to day routine. The number of products I use has been culled and windy days are no longer a concern :o

Would I recommend Dr. Feller to somebody who had the same problems as me, I certainly would. In my opinion you want to give yourself the best chance of dealing with the issue satisfactorily and I believe Dr. Feller is that person.

I took the opinion that had things not turned out as well I'd at least have known I'd done everything I could under the circumstances, happily being on the other side I can say this has become a turning point in my life. (ok that sounds sycophantic, but it's hard to give an honest account and not be seen as being disingenuous when even small improvements feel like minor miracles.)

If you are in the UK and daunted by the whole thing then Spex is your man pure and simple. Yes its a commitment flying to and from America, but who are you doing all this for?

It should really become a template to dealing with hairloss. A simplicity of following the actions advised by Spex in a step by step format. It could very well become, 'those who suffered and those that went to Dr. Feller'

*That's not to say there aren't other doctors who also solve people's problems with hair loss, but I am happy with the important decisions I made.

:)

A nice account and I have to say a very similar situation from my perspective as well. You have pretty much nailed the sentiment I feel towards the whole process of dealing with hair loss and taking action to go do something about it.

I'm from the UK also and boy I nearly went to Europe and even considered good old Harley Street on pure convenience not so much cost. Much like you I ended up on this Forum after pounding google for the answers I was looking for.

I was under the assumption hair transplants were 50/50 in that there is a 50% chance of it working, I heard this from GP's! Boy how little even the medical field know about this procedure and industry! That is what this Forum is all about and it is a great place to research and get your own informed decsion for sure.

I can't think how the hell I got hold of Spex either! I know I short listed 3 or so clinics and Dr Feller was one of them. After speaking to Spex he advised and guided me so well in terms of the 'long game' the expectations and the supply vs demand and of course hair greed :) im there right now! - Just had my 2nd Surgery. Spex did not sell anything but just gave it to me straight, Speaking to Spex and really uncovering what was the best plan of action to make sure I have the best long term game plan and also making sure short term needs were met.

I chose Dr Felller from the oure body of evidence that resides in this forum alone and also his profile. Indeed Dr Feller is as much an artist as he is a skilled surgeon, in terms of my first Ht I'm still amazed at how just 2250 grafts makes such a huge difference in how the whole head of hair behaves and looks. he certainly has a reputation for getting awesome results from much less grafts I see from other clinics.

You know a lot of things are subjective but results aren't and never should be. If you are looking for the standard to measure hair transplantation results from you should start with Dr Feller and compare other surgeons and clinics to the body of consistent results produced.

Never factor location into such a big life changing decision but base it on results

:)2250 Strip Dr Feller

:)1900 Strip Dr Feller

-----------------------------------

2 Great HT's & Experiences

-----------------------------------

Hi Papillion, great account of your experience. Have you got any pictures of your current progress?

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Hello and thanks both.

I have just looked back at the pics pre-surgery and was actually shocked how bad I was. I'll look for my camera it's somewhere (these 5 months post pics are grainy mobile phone pics and don't really do it justice)

Just to add, I think there wont be anyone who would argue something needed doing but what the 'pre' pics don't really show is the feebleness of the hair, it wouldn't stand up under its own weight and as tragic as it sounds I was into comb-over territory :(

I'm of the belief that there's a culture change going on now, past stigmas of transplants are eroding quite rightly too but I'd just like to say to anyone wary of surgery and stigmas, I wasn't vain per-se, I'm just an ordinary northern guy in the UK who had a growing personality problem as a result of hairloss. It was an affliction I guess, but I'm not about to go around showing hair off now, I just wanted to be more accepted and 'normal' I guess.

Its a sorry story suffering, as you can imagine by the pre op pics, if somebody farted in the room my hair would be all over the place, its got strength and thickness about it now and definition.

Nor am I out of the woods, I intend to have another once I've given it a bit more time to asses, there was a considerable area that needed work and over 7000 hair were moved, Dr. Feller still ran out of hairs required, and I know he wouldn't waste a single one.

pre1.jpg.c2f5dc6d09af1a75c34a61e6d7e5e02f.jpg

pre2.jpg.f5f5de01ee8822afef94d61ebf66c9df.jpg

pre3.jpg.2c0698796666b2fc156584d442cb136a.jpg

5mths1.jpg.7ee32af32d6e614c5ae025c5453d6283.jpg

5mths2.jpg.f5ec5c9d75e24405c895337a9d65bfa9.jpg

Hey Papillion

Great review!...being one of the Doc's fellow transplantee's l echo your sentiments 110%...having done endless research, like yourself, l opted for Doc Feller and after 3300 fut procedure with him at his NY surgery, more or less 2yrs to the day now, the results have been simply awesome. So much so that l have decided to go back and have my crown filled in this year to complete the job;).....On a final note, l couldn't go without mentioning our topman Spex, who's been there done that and tell's it how it is, warts 'n' all to coin an expression. He was superb from the start and still rings for personal catch up's today, which is the measure of what the guy is really about.....not the selling like many others l spoke to, but simply there to guide and offer his experienced opinion with a great personal touch......Keep growing my friend...the results so far are fantastic, but take it from me the best is yet to come!!

Thoughtsbecomethings

Hi thoughts.

A fellow Yorkie I see...just goes to show that nowadays transplants are not exclusive to people on telly etc (unless you're on telly ofc) but is appropriate for the man on the street.

I welcome your comments and thanks, in all honesty I'd like to think Im not a greedy man, Im happy with things right now, its a real tidying up of what can be a real mess when people start loosing their hair.

If I were to get further growth then it would be much like waking from a long coma (in more ways than one) to find 15-20 years worth of unopened birthday and Christmas presents at the end of my bed, haha.

Good luck.

I'm in New York Now waiting for my procedure tomorrow and this has really helped put my mind to rest. Thanks for the detailed account guys.

I must say it has been nice spending a couple of days alone in the big apple to really think over the whole process and what I'm about to get into. It's damn cold though : )

Also your hair looks amazing man.

I'm in New York Now waiting for my procedure tomorrow and this has really helped put my mind to rest. Thanks for the detailed account guys.

I must say it has been nice spending a couple of days alone in the big apple to really think over the whole process and what I'm about to get into. It's damn cold though : )

Also your hair looks amazing man.

Good luck.

You are in a very good place with your hair now. It's a lot thicker and you still have a lot of thickening to go.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

cheers guys,

Not exactly holding out for further advance but I guess it would be like handing back free money :D

Spreadlocks

Goodluck (although I assume you are through it now)

Perhaps feeling abnormal roundabout now, things do improve.;)

Thanks a lot man. I'm 8 days out now. Just about to start the waiting game. Your write up really helped calm me but he procedure seemed to go swimmingly. Really smooth. Just wanna get these staples out now for a comfortable nights sleep : )

I actually made a topic on my procedure here too http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164595-1st-hair-transplant-dr-feller-2000-grafts-400-free.html

I really hope to be where you are man. Your hair looks really damn good now.

Papillion , ace film with steve mcqueen and hoffman ! hahaha I often wonder about peoples online name choices !

Very good write up bud , and looking at your pics you're growing well .

good luck

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007