What exactly is a graft? Did mine fall out?

usafjay1976

This might sound like a silly question but I want to make sure I'm clear.

I had my HT on 29 Nov 2011 and everything is going great! A few days later, give or take, the crusts formed and shortly after that they started to fall out as they are supposed to. At least I think it was just the crusts and not the grafts.

I noticed that when I would gently comb my hair or run my fingers through it, that sometimes the crusts would fall out and little hairs would be in them. I want to make sure that these are NOT the grafts falling out.

I didn't think anything of this until recently. Just want to make sure everything is normal. My head looks fine now with just a little bit of pinkness.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Hope everyone had a Happy New Year.

That is perefectly normal. The hairs coming out with the crusts are just your grafted hairs shedding. Keep in mind that if you lost a graft, you would know it since it would hurt and bleed extensively. After day 3, the grafts are securely in place and it would take alot for them to be lost and again, if it ever happened, you would know it. What you are describing happened to me as well.

Happy growing!!!

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Grafts are fully secure after the seventh day. I am surprised your doctor did not explain the healing and growing process to you.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

He did indeed explain everything and I was pretty sure he had told me that. That being said, I wanted to make sure that was the case. I've been on graveyard shifts the past week. I blame the zombie hours for my lack of my remembering.

Thanks again for the peace of mind guys! :)

Yeah, you are ok. I actually accidentally pulled out a 3 hair graft once about 5 days post-op. I thought I was just rubbing off a scab. It bled and stung a little. I cried and put on a funeral for those three hairs. Much different then the shedding scabs with hairs inside them.

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group