Patchy and sore donor area 9 days post FUE

Hi guys,

Need a little reassurance as anxiety is starting to build post 3000 FUE procedure on the 23/12/2011.

I have 23 days off in total from work with about 14 remaining. I really can't afford for people to notice my procedure and feel as though i may not heal in time.

My area of concern is my donor area - it looks patchy and is still quite tender and raw. Pic attached.

What i want to know is, will it heal in time?

I have always had my hair quite short and intend on wearing it that way long term (number 1 on the clipper). I was told that the donor area would be undetectable after 2 weeks even if sides and back were buzzed number one.

At the moment i look so far from healing in time - it scares me.

My post-operative care advice was to use BioClin shampoo once a day using a soft patting motion.

I have started using vitamin E oils on the donor area in hope this will speed the recovery.

Does anyone have any recommendations on ideal post operative care?

Also - my scabs, particularly on the hairline are still there. I'm guessing this is normal only 8 /9 days out. Over half scabs have fallen out to date.

Please advise guys, i'm stressing out here.

Thanks,

DB

IMG_0804.jpg.b18b3396de857994a2897546719c967a.jpg

Edited by deebo80

Gosh I see what you mean there sure is a contrast where they stopped harvesting behind your ear. I just had one done 6 days ago 1500 . I've been bouncing off the walls because my face swelled up so bad and won't go down. Now I got puffy cheeks and black eyes a week later. Not to mention The doctors assistants did the whole operation and didn't put the grafts in the areas where I wanted now I got tepals with more hair then the middle. my donor area was cause for concern because one of the assistants took so many grafts out from one spot when I looked in the mirror on a bathroom break I nearly passed out. I told them to shave my entire head and take them out evenly spaced.

I wish I could post a picture on here it's pretty horrific! I did send him a couple pictures he told me to relax You'll be okay. Haha ! I'll be fine lol! Yea this runaway swelling has been totally unexpected even the girls on staff said they haven't seen this before. They gave me a shot and sent me home. It actually got worse after that. That's when I sent the doctor some pictures and he told me to not worry and just relax give it time and ill be ok. my eyes completely swelled shut and it actually reached my down my neck. my girlfriend and my mom are so worried they tell everybody about it I get phone calls from people asking me if I'm okay. didn't even want to tell anybody about this operation in the first place. Lol

Deebo,

There is definitely a contrast between what appears to be your donor area and untouched areas above and below. 3,000 fue is a lot for one session so they definitely put a dent in your donor supply but it could still recover by the time you go back to work. In other words a lot happens between day 9 and day 23.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

It could be shock loss in the donor. But 3K grafts FUE is too much for one session IMO.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

This is a horrifying story....especially to a newbie....has anyone heard from deebo? Is he okay? I thought getting an FUE would have faster recovery time than FUT. Is there any long-term results on FUE procedures or people who go through similar experiences post-op?

Hey guys,

Appreciate the comments, things have settled a little but there is still a noticable difference particularly on the right side of my donor area. Left side looks fine. Have contacted surgeon and they have advised my not to panic and that it won't be noticable at 23 days.

Still worried though. Not sure what i can do to cover it up. Was thinking of plucking some hair around it so it doesn't look so contrasted.

I've had friends do 3000 in one FUE session and their results were totally undetectable.

Any other advice would be appreciated. I'm still trying to figure out if it is in fact shock loss or the doctor has clearly taken too much from one area.

BTW i'm 20 hours aways (flying) from the clinic so i can't go back. Just hoping it'll get better at this stage.

Deebo

Hey guys,

Appreciate the comments, things have settled a little but there is still a noticable difference particularly on the right side of my donor area. Left side looks fine. Have contacted surgeon and they have advised my not to panic and that it won't be noticable at 23 days.

Still worried though. Not sure what i can do to cover it up. Was thinking of plucking some hair around it so it doesn't look so contrasted.

I've had friends do 3000 in one FUE session and their results were totally undetectable.

Any other advice would be appreciated. I'm still trying to figure out if it is in fact shock loss or the doctor has clearly taken too much from one area.

BTW i'm 20 hours aways (flying) from the clinic so i can't go back. Just hoping it'll get better at this stage.

Pics attached.

Deebo

IMG_0891.jpg.1a0aaa4f3591cf7d90b58c71542afbd9.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg.ebee301f9943a00832cae6804df4c709.jpg

deebo I think that you should definitely NOT pluck any hairs from the back of your head in the attempt to even things out. That could snowball into its own problem. You have another two weeks or so to heal up and I think you should probably just take a deep breath and wait it out.

If it looks the same by the time you need to return to work and it is still bothersome you could always use a concealer to even out the look. Good luck I hope things continue to settle down.

I know how you feel they really should have featherd the edge out not just stop at a certain point. They kind of did the same thing to me just not as many grafts. I was so pissed about the way mine was done I'm going back tomarro to have more grafts put in. They put 2 3 and 4 hair grafts rite in the hairline, they built up my tempals when all I wanted was the front center done. now I'm going to have a hairline and no center. You wouldn't believe how defensive the doctor was about the work his trainees did who basically did the whole job. I was telling him about the 3 and 4 hair grafts all across my hairline but he just kept his head down and basically said I don't know what I'm talking about and they don't exist! he didn't even want to look and see them. he was in total denial!! I told him I'm going to have them professionally photographed and then he will believe me . anyway he did agree to fix the problem ! Ifeel I was just a practice dummy for his staph. anyway. have you tried shaving it short on your neck and tapering it up.