Temple point restoration

I have undergone 2 strip surgeries with a well respected surgeon totalling about 6100 grafts, with good results. One thing that I'm lacking though is temple points, since I have none, and I don't think I've ever had temple points. During the last surgery I asked if the surgeon could restore the temple points, but he felt that my hair was too coarse for it to look completely natural. I have dark, coarse hair and fair skin. My question is: Is it possible to successfully restore temple points in a person with very coarse, dark hair and fair skin?

I've thought a bit about doing a FUE of 400-500 grafts using nape hair, which is finer and would give a softer look to the temple points. I know hair from this region is not necessarily DHT-resistant, but on the other hand it wouldn't be a disaster if I'd lose my temple points in the future, I'd just be back to where I am now, and the money is not an issue. Also, with nape hair/hair in the lower part of the neck I wouldn't waste precious hair in the permanent donor zone. I probably have about 2000-3000 grafts left as it is, and most of the hair in the midscalp is native hair, which I could lose, although I'm on Propecia since about 12 years with good results. Noone in my family has extensive loss of nape hair, and noone has progressed beyond NW 5.

What do you think about using nape hair to restore the temple points? Which surgeons would be willing to use nape hair? Do you have nay examples of good surgeons that do this?

Any input would be appreciated!

/Danny

Danny, I restored my temple points via fue. Dr. Feller used about 200/side and I have very coarse hair. The results look totally natural. I am going in February to add some more grafts to them too.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I have undergone 2 strip surgeries with a well respected surgeon totalling about 6100 grafts, with good results. One thing that I'm lacking though is temple points, since I have none, and I don't think I've ever had temple points. During the last surgery I asked if the surgeon could restore the temple points, but he felt that my hair was too coarse for it to look completely natural. I have dark, coarse hair and fair skin. My question is: Is it possible to successfully restore temple points in a person with very coarse, dark hair and fair skin?

I've thought a bit about doing a FUE of 400-500 grafts using nape hair, which is finer and would give a softer look to the temple points. I know hair from this region is not necessarily DHT-resistant, but on the other hand it wouldn't be a disaster if I'd lose my temple points in the future, I'd just be back to where I am now, and the money is not an issue. Also, with nape hair/hair in the lower part of the neck I wouldn't waste precious hair in the permanent donor zone. I probably have about 2000-3000 grafts left as it is, and most of the hair in the midscalp is native hair, which I could lose, although I'm on Propecia since about 12 years with good results. Noone in my family has extensive loss of nape hair, and noone has progressed beyond NW 5.

What do you think about using nape hair to restore the temple points? Which surgeons would be willing to use nape hair? Do you have nay examples of good surgeons that do this?

/Danny

Dr. Umar from Redondo Beach CA did my hairline, and did some temple points work using my nape. It came out really natural. Men in my family grow nape hair like gorillas!!!!

Atticus ;)

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

I have heard many cases where they restored their temple points. It is a crucial area to restoring a nice hairline as it helps frame the face. I recently had a HT with Dr. Rahal. Check out my website to see the pictures of my restored temple points.

Restored temple points can look great. Just make sure it's the most prudent use of a finite resource - I.e. would it better be of better use on top or not?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hairthere: Your temple points look great, so it is obviously possible to do natural looking temple points even with dark, coarse hair.

Atticus: I will check out dr Umar. Though I understand that he's gotten a mixed reception on this forum. Any idea why, his results seem solid?

Capelli11: I will certainly follow your progress.

aaron1234: I think the temple points would be the icing on the cake, that would complete my hair transplant journey. I don't need any more hair on top as it is now, but you never know what will happen in the future. I plan on continuing with Propecia though.

Edited by Danny1976

Hey Danny, For me temple points radically changed my appearance. I almost feel they are more important to have than a really low hairline, and they are certainly needed when you do have a low hairline. That being said, I think you probably did the right thing getting as much coverage as possible up top. You can always go back and recreate those TPs with a small strip or fue session. Best of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Maybe your surgeon felt if he thickened up your temple points then youd look silly if the hair behind at sides started to receed as you get older?

im sure there was a reason for it.

we all want a great hairline if possible.

im sure any of the top docs will tell you straight.

No, he clearly said the reason was that he felt that he couldn't make the temple points look natural enough, due to my coarse hair. And since he is one of the highest ranking surgeons in the world I suspect that he knows what he's talking about.

/Danny

I think nape hair is good to build the starting point of the temples then as you move back you can use other types of hairs. It's finer/softer so it would create a blended look. I know Dr. Umar has used the nape even for hairlines. I do think if you address it to any doctor they may also be able to do it if they think you have stable nape hair.

In regards to temple points, I think they are very critical when framing the face but it also depends on the type of head shape you have. If you have a smaller forehead then you probably wont need them or wont need as much. If you have a wider forehead then you will need more of a temple closure. Loss of temples on wider foreheads can make a person look more in a recession/balding state then they would on a person with a narrow smaller forehead.