Am I a candidate for a lower hair line? Almost 26

Rachmunas4life,

This patient of Dr. Arocha reminds me of your situation, he might have had more hair loss.He is very early in the growth of his transplant at only 5 months post TP. He only had 2068 FU procedure. Here is a link:http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=154672

I am employed by Dr. Arocha as his lead tech at Arocha Hair Restoration.

Dr. Arocha is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I just had a consultation with Dr. Epstein. He and his assistant were very informative! He told me I might be ever so slightly receding at best. But said since my hair has been like this for 8 years now, it might only recede slightly more over time.

He also told me I have outstanding donor capacity with 10,000 grafts in my donor site, which is well above average!

He also said that he could do FUE with 1100 grafts the first day and 800 the second day. But he said that there is an 85% chance for all the hair to grow for fue vs 95% for the strip. He also said the hairs are of better quality from the strip.

He does do dissolvable sutures so I won't have to go back to have them removed from the strip. He can also put hairs over the strip scar if I wished. It would probably cost extra but he said I can keep my long hair so the strip and the grafts won't be visible!

I'd be looking at 2,400-2,600 grafts to give me about 1cm lower and to fill in the temples. He could do about 1,800-2,000 to fill in the temples alone and not lower my hairline, but I'd like a lower hairline. I'd still have 7,500 grafts left and cell (hair) growth should be around in 8-10 years anyways.

I will think about it over winter break.

Glad to see you are taking time to do research and not rushing into it. I would like to echo what hairthere and eman stated. I think you are better off waiting and see how things develop over time. This is a serious commitment it seems to me that you do not have to commit to at this point in time. Good luck, though, whatever you decide to do.

As you know and most guys here will tell a HT is not a walk in the park. There is pain, swelling, rednes and itchiness, which can go on for months and there is never a guarantee. Shockloss is also a possibilty in that area. Why do it if you don't actually need to? I waited until I was 40 until my hairloss partern-according to Rahal had stabilised. I have forlock shock loss to my existing hair, it may be limited but it happened.

Why wait until you are bald before getting HT? Yes, there are risks with HT, but Rachmunas is on this board for almost 3 years now. He did his research and he knows what is really bothering him.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

LL- all we are saying is he should wait until he recedes as he is FAR from bald. He is young, little recession at most and just because he has been on the forum for three years doesn't justify a procedure. He will be all the more knowledgeable in another ten years and the technology may be such where a HT won't be as invasive.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I think he is asking us since he is uncertain if he wants to move forward. If he does move forward and regrets it for some reason, the consequences are significant. If he does not move forward at this time and regrets it, the consequences are much less significant. He can always move forward at a later date when he is more certain. Again, Rachmunas4life, best of luck whatever you decide.

• 2 weeks later...

This video of a guy who went to Dr. Hasson looks incredible! His hairline was similar to mine before his surgery.

http://www.hassonandwong.com/m...lay=1&PLindex=3&id=1

I've already had a consultation with Dr. Epstein in Miami. I am meeting Dr. Ron Shapiro down here as well on Tuesday. He is really laid back on the phone and is very nice to meet me down here on his vacation. I just hope he won't examine my hair in the lobby of the hotel I'm meeting him, haha!

I've also been speaking with one of Dr. Hasson's advisors. Dr. Hasson will review my hair (by photos) when he returns from his trip.

But seeing Dr. Shapiro should give me a real honest opinion on my situation if I should go ahead or leave it alone for now.

I am happy to have found this forum! Everyone is great on here! Otherwise I'd probably be under the knife right now at Bosley.

• 2 years later...

Well it's been almost 3 years since my last post. I didn't have anything done yet but I do think about my hair often. I don't come on the forum as much as before but like seeing updates, etc...

The only thing that has been on my mind is my trip to Thailand next spring with my fiance for our honeymoon. I've been following Dr. Pathomvanich for a few years now and have never seen a bad result. Also I do have a budget and know that Thailand in general is much less expensive. I've been on Finasteride for over 2 1/2 years now. I have seen no loss in crown or mid scalp and never had loss there prior to Finasteride. My temples are holding up well. No recession in my right temple but I've always had slight miniaturization in the left, although no change in 3 years possibly due to the Finasteride.

I do have an elastic scalp which worries me about strip. I know FUE isn't as good and is more expensive. I have also been on this forum long enough to read all the posters and Dr.'s words on pros/cons on FUT & FUE.

So my question is do I keep waiting or finally take the plunge???? :D In Thailand it's so much cheaper and in my price range! I will there in the spring and Dr. Pathomvanich is one of the best. I wish I wasn't too indecisive. :confused: 1,500-2,000 grafts in the hairline (1cm lower), temples and front lateral triangles slightly worked on (left more than right).

Thanks for all the help over the years!!!

Good job staying on the Fin. You had a good head of hair were you able to maintain most of it? If it's not much different than before I would still hold off on surgery. Dr. Path is good but don't let the fact that it is cheaper make the decision for you.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thank I know about distance to go to the best. I believe he is on my top 10 list from everything I've seen on him which is why I trust him performing surgery on me. I'm just debating on FUE since I have a very elastic scalp and I don't believe Dr. Path performs it. U.S. surgeons are out of my price range.

If you have an elastic scalp and like your hair length then I would go with strip. If you feel US surgeons are out of your price range I would still consult with them. Sometimes they go out of their way to help those on a tighter budget. Not all, but some.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

I actually had consultations with Dr. Ron Shapiro (2 years ago) , Dr. Konior, (5 years ago) Dr. Epstein (2 years ago) and Dr. Charles (2 years ago). I felt most comfortable with all except Dr. Esptein. So much knowledge in my head, lol!

My hair is always semi long. My photo you see is the shortest it's been in a while. But the past year I grew it out again. I'd 100% go even longer if my hairline was really strong and 1cm lower. That's what I've always wanted.

Oh man, well you've done your research. If you think you're ready to jump the gun then go ahead and do it! Just be prepared for the possibility of more procedures down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

I think since you claim you haven't lost any hair in the past 3 years, I would think that if your hairline bothers you you could lower it to a reasonable level. You definitely have great hair and I have seen others who have stabilized with a mature hairline say like yours do a small HT. FUE would be good in your case. I would get on Propecia and/or Rogaine to hold those locks of yours. At a minimum if you don't want to go the Propecia route I would definitely take Saw Palmetto as it is a more natural approach to hair meds. Good Luck!