Am I a candidate for a lower hair line? Almost 26

I will be 26 in 2 months. I've had slight recession in the front of my hairline over the past 8 years, although I've noticed little to no recession over the past 3 years. I have thick dark brown hair but not course. I'm wondering if I am a good candidate for a lower hairline to fit my age. I wouldn't mind my hair line but when the wind blows I'm self conscience of the higher hair line.

Back when I lived in the Chicago area (I was 23) I had a consultation with Dr. Konior. He told me to wait a few years but said I wasn't reseeding back then.

front_of_hair_001.jpg.80e3d4ca91755e7709bdd55fc11887a5.jpg

Another comment. It's exactly 3" from the start of my hairline to my eyebrows.

My fathers side has an excellent head of hair. My mother's side has hair loss and decent hair from some other relatives. My 97 year old uncle had the same hairline I have when he was my age. He still has the same hairline. But who knows? I might take after my bald grandpa!

Thanks!

At this point, I would say enjoy what you have. You have a great head of hair.

You could add some more pics of the front for our review, but I really feel you have a nice head of hair and should wait a long time to see if you see any noticeable changes, say...in the next 5 or 10 years.

I bet Dr. Konior would say the same thing to you today--and I would really respect his opinion. Don't risk shocking the front at this time, especially since you have 3" between your eyebrows and hairline. I had about ten feet between my eyebrows and my non-existent hairline before I decided to do something.

And on top of that, you are still very young and don't have much loss. Once you go down the transplant path, it will usually require touch-ups at some point in the future. Keep that in mind.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

You're kinda tweener, IMO. But, I'd def err on the side of enjoying what you have -- I'm pretty aggressive about this sort of thing, but I'd honestly wait.

And I don't think the loss you do have is critically hurting your overal aesthetic....enjoy life, research HTs if the shit ever hits the fan! icon_smile.gif

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I can see why you would want a HT, but it's not like there would be a unanimous consensus that you'd need one.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

You really do have a nice, healthy head of hair. And I agree with the other posters ??“ enjoy it!

Your frontal hairline is on the higher side. This by no means makes you appear bald, though. I wonder if you have male pattern baldness or a congenitally higher hairline. This information be would useful. In my mind there is nothing wrong with your desire to have a lower (but still natural looking!!) hairline. Your hair looks good??¦why not have it look better? HT work is, of course, surgery. And there are associated risks. So, I think the knee-jerk response with a young guy with a good head of hair is that the risk is not worth the potential reward. This is not always the case, though. You will likely suffer some long-term troubles if you aggressively lower your hairline. Still, some subtle work may be in order. You really need to have your hair evaluated by some elite physicians to see what the general consensus is. If the risk is too great, top surgeons will not take on the case. By ???top??? I mean doctors with both skills and ethics. If the risk is low or within reason, your doctor(s) must fully explain all the pros and cons of moving forward with surgery. At that point you can make a truly educated choice.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Spex is right, you have good hair. But, I would certainly not hesitate to bring those fronto-lateral triangles down CONSERVATIVELY.

Beware the desire for the "straight-across" hairline of a 23 year old. If you come too low you will: 1. look goofy when you are older and have a "the monkeys" style haircut and/or 2. be chasing further recession just to keep from looking goofier than #1 alone.

But a smallish case of 1500 grafts could quite nicely bring the triangles down a bit and look very natural.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Since I went to Dr. Konior for a consultation back in November of 04' or 05', I don't think I have receded and believe my hair looks the same. He looked at my new pictures and said I am a great candidate for a lower hairline.

He believes that if he lowers my hair line 2cm it would require 2,000 grafts. He also said I have outstanding donor resources.

rachmunas4life:

what is the measurement from your eyebrows to your chin? I would be nice to have some picture of your face (you can crop out your eyes if you wish) and some pic of the temples.

Based on the pics you currently have, i do agree with dr. Lindsey, you may opt for 1500 grafts at the temples.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

To answer your question, I am 8.5" from my hairline to my chin and 6" from my eye brows to my chin. It's also 3" from my hairline to my eyebrows.

I'm headed to Dr. Epstein's office in Miami on Wednesday since I live in the area. He in my top 3 between Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Konior.

I already got plenty of info through e-mail from Dr. Konior. Although I thought him saying he would do 3,000 grafts doesn't make a good impression on me. There still isn't a way to decide how much more I will recede. I know I have outstanding density in my donor area. But if I already lose 3,000 I won't be able to fill in the rest of my head if I one day (doubt it) turn into a NW 7.

Dr. Shapiro's patient advisor told me that very thing I just wrote and I completely agree. He also said that while waiting 10 years would be better to determine future hairline, they still feel 1,500-2,000 grafts can be achieved. This will give me a 2 cm lower hairline.

dry_front_hair_line_014.jpg.6f13b774eef3e495432a060caecaaecd.jpg

I had your hairline exactly, I mean exactly the same when I was 20 years old. It stayed the same up until I was 28 and then I noticed it had receded a little bit. I got on propecia at 29 and have maintained everything since then. I would not do anything without getting on propecia. Other than that, I think you are a good candidate for a small session as long as you realize that you may recede further in the next 5 years and need more work. You can look at my profile to see what my hairline looks like now. It has receded back further than where you are at.

Just to let everyone know that I put more photos on the bottom of page 1.

I do have 70 5mg Finasteride pills at my house. I bought it but I never took them since I am not receding anywhere where Finasteride would help. Also if I took it now than it might lose it's effectivness when I might need it in the future.

Originally posted by Rachmunas4life:

To answer your question, I am 8.5" from my hairline to my chin and 6" from my eye brows to my chin. It's also 3" from my hairline to my eyebrows.

Based on the measurements and your face picture, i don't think the hairline should be lowered at all. However, the temples can use some additional grafts. I have a very similar hairline to you, just had HT for 2100 grafts to fill in the temples and add density at the front tuft. IMO, you would need less grafts than me.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

What happens if you hit , say 30, and suddenly start losing hair in the areas beyond your ht. you'll be back in the chair for another procedure. make certain you weigh all the possibilities and risks of getting an ht done. i personally wouldn't mess around with one right now.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I am going to Dr. Epstein's office in Miami on Wednesday. I will keep this thread updated!

I am not making up my mind at this time. I will consider everything I hear and would probably get a second/third opinion with other surgeons.

It would be nice to get a H/T done in the area, and Dr. Epstein seems to be one of the top 3 surgeon's out there, but Dr. Shapiro's work really blew me away on this forum! I had a phone consultation with his assistant. I might have a phone consultation with him after winter break.

I'll update the forum on Wednesday.

I would honestly listen to hairthere!! Like I said earlier as well, enjoy what you have.

You are going to risk possible permanent shockloss amongst other things. Wait and see where you end up in ten years. If you were to lose more hair in the future, you are going to have these small islands of transplanted hair that will need to be fixed. Once you go in the chair there is a high probability you will need to go in again. Wait until your hairloss stabilizes.

You have a lot of hair now and do not need to go down this road at this time. ENJOY what you have...trust me.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...