4510 grafts with Dr Hasson... Watch out for the airport trip!

I Just a completed a HT with Dr. Hasson for 4510 grafts June 19th and the experience was excellent. Got to their office at 7:15 but hung around the front of the building for about 10 minutes since the front door was locked. A nice lady pointed me to a second unlocked entrance which was up the outside stairs on the second floor. From there, I made my way to their office.

Shortly after intros and paperwork, I was introduced to Dr. Hasson, who does quite well to put one at ease. He drew my hair lines to our liking and proceeded with extracting the donor tissue. I had very good flexibility in my scalp as well as density so he was able to extract 4500 grafts, which was more than the 3000 - 3500 that we were planning on, which was a good thing. It appears that the scalp exercises that I spent the last two months performing paid off.

Next, I moved face down onto the table for the extraction, which requires shots to the back of the head to numb the donor area. Only one of the injections was moderately painful. The rest were not an issue at all, which was surprising to me. Once Dr. Hasson started to remove the donor tissue, I could hear the cutting of the tissue, which I likened to the sound of chewing on sand. The process only took 45 minutes.

Afterwards, Dr. Hasson moved to the front of my head to make the incisions for hair placement. I was charged with using a counter device to determine how many hundred cuts were made. After about an hour, we stopped at 2500.

This is where the scale of the operation was apparent to me. They must have had a team of 10 skilled workers working directly on my procedure. Four were in the room with me separating the hair from the donar tissue and two were planting the hairs in my head. Another unknown number of people were harvesting my hair outside the room, but I don't know how many in total. It was quite impressive. They continued the process until sometime after lunch where Dr. Hasson returned to work on the back of my head. He repeated the process for another 2000 incisions and the planters went back to work. The procedure wrapped up at around 6pm, which gave me time to get some post op photos and head back to the hotel for some much needed rest.

Sleep was restless since I'm a side sleeper and I needed to lay like the bride of Frankenstein. This was a minor inconvenience and expected so I didn't have a problem.

The next day, I started out to the Airport departing Canada to the US. I'm a veteran of air travel, spending seven of my last eight years flying every week so I thought I was prepared for everything... Noob me didn't have a neck pillow, which is an easy problem to solve. I walked into an airport store, picked up a pillow, and promptly cut the living hell out of my thumb with the tag. BTW, twelve days later, it's still not healed. I should have recognized this as a foreshadowing of the events to come.

It was time to move past security, which I have done countless times before. I have my hat on my head, my pillow on my arm, and that's it since I check in my bags. Naturally, I had that evil look to me so they decided to pull me to the side for screening. I was now to the point that I understood that my hat had to come off but I waited for the off chance that the man touching me would not require me to do this??¦ but I was dead wrong.

He asked me to remove my hat, which I did, after which he promptly took his hands and GRABBLED MY FRIKIN BALD SORE AS HELL JUST OPERATED ON I WILL KILL YOU AND ALL YOUR HATCHLINGS head. It was unbelievable. It was painful and not to mention completely unexpected. I've never had an agent touch my head before, much less manhandle my shiny. To say the least, it took all my zen bodha powers not to break mr brainless's jaw. It was MORE than obvious that I just had an operation. I looked like Bozo the Clown after getting into a fight with a can opener. What was he thinking!?!

After moving from security, I spend the rest of the afternoon concerned that he messed up the work, especially since my head was hurting. I moved to the restroom to check to see if I was bleeding. I felt I was but after careful inspection, I was not.

Here is my advice to anyone going through airport security. If you are selected for screening, let the agent know in advance that you have had a procedure. Don't let anyone touch your head! And tell them Bozo sent you!

tsd.JPG.1e2d5fd89e20991998d47673bab98d52.JPG

I though about this in detail before i went to my procedure, i had Dr. Shapiro give me 2 extra surgiacal hats (the net looking things) so instead of wearing a hat i wore one of those in the airport so when i went thru security they knew right away that i had some sort of surgery done, they actually seen me and ushered me to the front in Minneapolis (the peoplein line and the TSA people) And they really cannot see anything under the surgical cap and never asked me to remove it..

World Class HT-Dr. Ron Shapiro 6/29/2009 4792 FU Total Hairs-9731

This does bring up a good point. I wore the surgical bandana through customs and they went through all my stuff (training a rookie). She eye'd my head and it seemed she was going to say something, but then took her attention back to my bag. I bet if I had on a cap, she would of asked me to remove it.

That story is almost enough to make me not consider H&W. They are so close to Seattle, it would have been great if they opened shop there.

On a different note, why did they shave the entire top of your head? It looks like they only did work on your hairline.

Also, did they give you a graft breakdown? (how many 1's 2's, 3's and 4's)

If I had to do it again and I knew for a fact that I would be selected for security, I would still go through the entire process again. I wouldn't want my dissuade you in any way. It sounds like Leeson and Tos7581 had excellent experiences with covering the head with surgical bandannas/hats so I would go that route if there is a next time.

Dr. Hasson originally asked me where I would like to keep it long. I countered with "cut wherever you need to make your job as easy as possible". It was a personal decision to cut it short since I had front and back work done.

1 Session

4510 grafts -

1501 1s

3009 2s

7519 Hairs

2500 grafts applied to the front

2000 grafts applied to the back

You can check my blog out for better pics :

A friend of mine flew from US to Canada for a transplant from the sometimes hack Robert Jones and customs made him take of his hat on the way back and they all starting inspecting his head and basically laughing at him .

He said it was the most embarrassing moment in his life until only half the grafts grew and he had to walk around like a goof for year.

Everule,

First, thank you for the positive review of your experience at our clinic. We appreciate that you took the time to share with the group.

Second, after I read your experience in customs I had Dr. Hasson sit down and look over your comments. I'd like to apologize on behalf of Dr. Hasson and Hasson & Wong for your treatment in this manner. It is absolutely unacceptable and has never EVER to our knowledge happened before.

Dr. Hasson has asked that if you would not mind writing up a few paragraphs of your experience, along with the name of the officer (if you happen to remember it) we will forward your comments on to the proper authorities. Dr. Hasson will personally pursue and follow up with on this. Again, this is absolutely unacceptable and unheard of for the thousands of international patients that have come before you.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hopefully you can get something resolved on that Jotronic. But I wouldn't count on much being done. Customs is their own little world given a lot of authority.

It would be like me calling in to a police captain complaining that an officer gave me a ticket that I felt I didn't deserve. They would listen, but it would end at the phone call.

But hopefully you guys can at least relay the situation to Customs of traveling patients through security. Your clinic probably is considered one of the top 3 in the world and something like this is definitely a deterrent to having a procedure there.

Keep us posted!

Ive heard quite a few horror stories on a hunting forum about how customs treated people trying to go hunting and fishing there.

You can send ALL the letters you want and NOTHING will be accomplished.

Nice gesture but will be a complete waste of time.

They instruct them to be tough

Remember Joe how we talked about Ferko sneaking me in his trunk to get me there if I choose HW. icon_wink.gif

Obvious we were kidding but both know how big of pricks they can be.

The last thing I want is to be hassled and my hat taken off right after surgery.

Sorry that happened to you

I wouldnt let it be a deterrent in my mind was set on going to Canada.

More then likely nothing will happen or at the very least youll have to take off your hat for them .

Originally posted by Severn:

That story is almost enough to make me not consider H&W. They are so close to Seattle, it would have been great if they opened shop there.

On a different note, why did they shave the entire top of your head? It looks like they only did work on your hairline.

Also, did they give you a graft breakdown? (how many 1's 2's, 3's and 4's)

The majority of hair transplant patients fly to see the top hair transplant surgeons.

So this isn't unique to Hasson and Wong.

Also, Eyerule's story has absolutely nothing to do with Customs.

This is an experience anyone could have when flying to see one of the top hair transplant surgeons.

I actually screwed up and forgot to remove a bottle of water from my carry-on bag. When it went through the X-Ray machine security pulled me aside.

I was scared they were going to ask me to remove my hat. They never did.

So I had the opposite experience with TSA security.

-

1st Transplant: 5,485 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

2nd Transplant: 3,100 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

3rd Transplant: 5,035 grafts with Dr Sanusi Umar

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:
Also, Eyerule's story has absolutely nothing to do with Customs.

Did you read what he said or was he talking about security at the HW building.

Your also right that this could happen to anyone and it HAS

Eyerule's story is about TSA Security at the Canadian Airport.

All I am saying is it had nothing to do with Customs and this could happen to anyone flying.

-

Drew, you are correct in that it wouldn't be unique to H&W. On the reverse side, anyone flying to the U.S. from Canada would face the same problem. I am just assuming someone would face less scrutiny flying within their own country than having to go through Customs.

edit: well, if it were just TSA security and not customs, then thats a different story.

Eyerule,

Welcome to our forum community and congratulations on your recent hair transplant with a world renowned surgeon.

I must admit, I cringed more than a bit when you told me this airport security guard grabbed your head. This is totally unacceptable. I think you ought to take Dr. Hasson up on his offer and provide him with the information so they can follow through with the proper authorities. Frankly, this officer deserves to be fired at the very least for the fact that he could have potentially damaged your hair transplant. The good news is...it doesn't sound like he did.

I hope you'll post some before, surgical and progress photos for us along with your experience by creating a free patient website at www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blogs.

Happy healing and growing!

Bill

Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:

I didnt know you had to answer to customs and security Damn glad I stayed here.

Severn right it could happen the other way around also

If you drive over the boarder you deal with Customs.

If you fly you don't have to deal with Customs.

-

I think this is a great argument for not shaving vs. shaving instead of crossing the border lol.

A slightly red scalp with surgical sutures on the side would definitely draw less attention than a bloody shaved head with staples!

Maybe the best solution is to just find an apartment for a month wherever you have the surgery icon_razz.gif

Anyone who flies (or drives) to another country, whether from the US to Canada, from Canada to the US, from Europe to the US, etc. will have to go through customs. This is just the way the world is set up.

However, the issue here isn't customs, it's security. Anyone who flies goes through security whether you're flying within your own country or abroad. Security usually makes you take your hat off to go through it.

I can tell you that the above story is the first time I ever heard something this ludicrious happening when going through security. I've flied to Canada twice for surgery and never had any problems there or the way back. Hundreds of others on this forum have flown overseas and also have never had anything like this happen.

In my opinion, select your doctor based on their skill and consistent results and don't let location or traveling be a factor. Just be honest going through security that you just had surgery and warn the guard that your head won't look pretty :-)

Best wishes,

Bill

I've got a surgery with Dr. Wong scheduled for next week...I'm very excited and can't wait for the next year.

This thread however is alarming. I was always weary of airport security but now I am a little more nervous. I'll do what I did after my first procedure, just take of the hat and walk through without thinking twice.

I guess the best thing you can do is make sure you don't beep...take off your belt and shoes, or better yet wear basketball shorts and flip flops.

715 grafts at Bosley, 2004

3238 grafts by Dr.True, Mar 2008

3393 grafts by Dr. Wong, Jul 2009

Originally posted by alwayswaiting1:

I've got a surgery with Dr. Wong scheduled for next week...I'm very excited and can't wait for the next year.

This thread however is alarming. I was always weary of airport security but now I am a little more nervous. I'll do what I did after my first procedure, just take of the hat and walk through without thinking twice.

I'd say the best thing is telling them right off the bat you had some scalp surgery and ask them if they want you to remove your cap. That at least lets them know not to grab your head. Probably the easiest solution to all this really.

Or you could wear a turbin and tell them you're muslim! Well on second thought, maybe that wouldn't be a good idea.

alwayswaiting,

Nobody likes airport security. However, I believe the above case is a one in a billion type scenerio. I don't think you ought to stress yourself out about something that has a very low probability of happening.

That said, follow Severn's advice, be honest with the security people about your surgery when you approach them, and you'll be just fine. In fact, it may not be a bad idea to have the paper ready that Hasson and Wong send you that says you are flying to Canada for surgery. I showed them that and they let me take the shampoo they gave me on carry on. :-)

Best wishes,

Bill