Thinking of getting a HT in NJ/NY - Dr True/Dorin

usafjay1976

Hey all, here's my 'do' or what's left of it. :)

I'm still very new at all this stuff but I've submitted my pics to the docs mentioned in the subject for my online consultation.

So what's the verdict from the pros? How bad is my hair loss? Anyone know anything about these docs? (They are located in NY/NJ)

Thanks for any advice tips.

Respectfully,

Jason

2.jpg.e3810a51478475be5a365e83462b2671.jpg

4.jpg.585d1a47fcdd0351ff086b6e1972469f.jpg

1.jpg.3c156f7756b0e5c51574e496b4740e59.jpg

5.jpg.19c416a4749e4c5ecc8b8fca40bd2fd5.jpg

11.jpg.0860cb5169c6109f8f5d9cce82143a3f.jpg

12.jpg.6b8dea00a066c99e1a5150ba5f107d99.jpg

I think you are heading to a NW6 maybe even a NW7. It looks like everything on top is miniaturized. Firstly, look into finasteride - I personally believe it's never too late to start. Also, spend a lot of time on this site researching. Online consults with T&D is a good start but I would prefer in person consultations with multiple elite surgeons within and outside New York. If you are indeed a candidate for hair transplantation you definitely need a megasession so look into clinics that specialize in those; Feller, H&W, Rahal, SMG, etc. But your pattern is pretty advanced so tread carefully.

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I agree with Aaron...you are borderline NW 6 going to 7...so in order to get good coverage you will definitely need a mega-session if that is what you are looking for...again...HT's are all about expectations...nothing can restore your hair to when you were a teenager...so you have to expect this going into it. I would definitely recommend you doing your due diligence...get on Propecia even though you have extensive loss...it can't hurt at this point. Also seek out the top mega session docs as Aaron pointed out...H&W are the top for this IMO...and they also have the best documentation which is ideal for someone like yourself just starting to research this procedure. Go to their website and you will be able to see a ton of video's illustrating what they can do. I would get an online consult with them and see what they say...Jotronic is the handle that their rep Joe uses. He is a great guy and he will guide you through their consultation process. Good luck and continue to view this forum.

P.S. If you are very interested in True and Dorin..."Corvettester" is the man to talk to about them...check out his profile as he has documented everything about his experience with T&D.

What are your goals? Would you be happy with having a hairline back and mid to light coverage beyond that and a likely bald crown? Are you willing to have more than one surgery, and are you prepared to spend tens of thousands on it?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I agree with Shadow to some extent and also Hairthere...in that it all depends how bad it personally affects you...I gather that you have lost your hair a while ago and at 35 you have been living with your hair for a while. So the question is how much does it really affect you? How long has your hair been thin like that? A HT is a big commitment esp for a NW 6-7 in that you have to really be realistic as Hairthere states above.

So please elaborate more on what your "story" is and what realistic goals would you want for your HT?

I think that you're in the final throes of a NW6 territory and that it's only a matter of time before you plateau as a NW7. Generally, HTs are not recommended for cases like yours. However, if you do stand a viable chance at an acceptable cosmetic result from an HT, the following criteria would have to be met first:

1. You must respond well to Propecia and Rogain. No side effects. A noticeable stabilization and some decent regrowth. Also, you must be fully prepared to take them religiously and indefinitely.

2. You must have an above average donor supply. If you don't have a minimum of 8,000 grafts in the bank, then I don't think you're a good candidate at all. I can't tell from the photos that you posted if you have a good donor supply or not, but you're going to need at least 8,000 grafts.

3. You must understand that even 8,000 grafts isn't going to get you back to what you had 15 years ago and you'll obviously need multiple procedures, probably three.

I don't mean any disrespect or offense, but based on the photos you provided, I was surprised to learn that you're 35 years old. However, I imagine it's due more to lifestyle choices than anything genetic... I really think you could do well to lose some weight, build some muscle, get in shape, shave daily, improve your posture, get a tan, upgrade your style... and smile! Not to mention, completely change your diet. I'd say go raw...

I highly recommend that you check out Bobman's profile. I thought of his "before" photos once I saw your pics...

I wish you the best, but I think you're going to have to make fundamental lifestyle changes before you consider an HT. Look at it as reinventing yourself. It's an exciting concept and men and women do it all the time for the better!

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Look, when people see you on the street, they don't sit there and debate whether you're a NW 1 or a 2 or a 3. To the extent that people notice your hair, their brains put you into one of two categories: balding or not balding. It's as simple as that. And given your amount of loss, you're probably going to wind up in the balding category no matter what kind of transplant you have.

I mean, given that you've got no temple points at all and a significant vertical drop in the back, you'd probably need 15,000+ grafts to make a go of it. People just don't have that kind of supply.

Wait it out. You'll eventually win this game if and when hair cloning becomes a reality. Even if it's 20 years, you'll still be relatively young with a full head of hair.

Also, stay off propecia.

If you have enough donor supply, it depends on your goals. If you can do a mega session, which depends on a lot of things, yo can re establish a hairline with thinner coverage on top. You will lvery likely need 2 or 3 procedures. As others have said, you can't fully restore your hair, but you can improve it significantly. You do also need to get on and stay on medication. You should do consults with several top clinics to get an understanding of what can be realistically accomplished and see if that matches with your own expectations and goals.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

As others have said, unfortunately you're not a good candidate for a HT. Really man, don't waste your time and money. It's a life-long commitment and quite the emotional roller coaster. Work on improving other areas of yourself and your life.

Perhaps advances in technologies designed to address hair loss will give you options down the road, but not now. And, yeah, don't bother with propecia - it's not worth it in your case.

All the best.

usa, The one saving grace for you is that your donor appears to be healthy and thick, and your sides have not appeared to have dropped (this could change, though). Your rear crown however is quite low. What's your father/grandfather's NW pattern?

Also, there are some great HT docs in New York, but if I were you I would consult with Hasson and Wong. They regularly perform very high graft count surgeries and cases like yours. Jotronic, a member here is their rep and he was similar to you. That being said, you need to be realistic with your goals, understand multiple surgeries might be required, and that it will require a large financial obligation, as well as a lot of time (a HT takes at least 1 year to see the final results). Best of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hey all, thank you for the replies. I thought I'd try to snap a few different pics so here they are. The original ones I had a 'wet head' and perhaps made it look worse than it did. They were also taken with a webcam. On the same token, I know I'm definitely balding and I want to do something about it.

My back and sides grow and remain relatively thick. However, being I'm in the military, I can't grow it too long.

I'm not sure what my father's/grandfather's pattern was (They are both deceased) but I know they both had plenty of growth in the back and on the sides. The tops were both pretty thin in their later years.

As far as shaving my head, I can't really go that route. I'm 6 ft 3 and weigh about 195 lb. I'd look even MORE funny completely bald than I do now! :)

The main thing I want to start with is the forehead area, if that's an option. If the docs say use Propecia, I'll start that. I'll keep reading information and keep you all posted.

Anyway here are some pics fresh out of bed. Be warned. :D

5b32d02586b12_Picture16.jpg.439a46a91517e58c90e09bfb12a9e76e.jpg

5b32d0259e3f6_Picture17.jpg.27b6ef7a72052bd2cb1587e444f5f0ae.jpg

5b32d0265ec5a_Picture18.jpg.9dbe2bf880f775d5cad26c5b410a8c8e.jpg

5b32d0267a0df_Picture20.jpg.2c02348cb735519c762f9da85b3c960f.jpg

5b32d02692998_Picture21.jpg.e77419d3732c81d324814eb5d585864e.jpg

5b32d026b7a0e_Picture22.jpg.4986e68ed431ed90bb1466fdce17c0b1.jpg

And, yeah, don't bother with propecia - it's not worth it in your case.

All the best.

I couldn't disagree more. You clearly still have hair on top of your head as well as a lot of miniaturized hairs. Propecia can save most of it, and possibly regrow some dormant hair. Also the area above the donor area where it's starting to thin can also be improved with the medication. Dr. True and Dr. Dorin will speak to you about that.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I agree with THEHAIRUPTHERE. You should start meds.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I think what it comes down to is your expectations - what you're willing to live with and what you're willing to invest. If a relatively minor cosmetic improvement is good enough for you and your current situation really bothers you that much, then go for it. Consulting as many proven HT docs as you can is essential. My personal opinion is I wouldn't bother with a HT in your case, but what matters is your opinion.

Regarding meds, I think you're in a difficult place. Your degree of hair loss makes me seriously question if taking the meds is really worth it. Sure, you may retain what you currently have indefinitely, but at what cost? It's a powerful drug which affects people on a hormonal level. Don't take it lightly. Remember that you have to stay on the meds for life if you want to continue receiving the benefits. Do some research on finasteride first. Talk to a GP or urologist about it.

That said, if you do go forward with a HT, then I'd say get on the meds. If you're going for it, then go all the way and give yourself the best chance of a positive outcome. On the up side, if you do try the meds, you can always stop if it's not working for you or you experience sides, and odds are you'd have no lasting problems from having taken it (although there are no guarantees).

If you do get on the meds keep in mind that they might help you retain your native hair which can help bolster a HT; but, eventually they will lose effectiveness and therefore your HT will look worse. My main concern if I were you would be those sides. They look very stable right now, but your crown goes very low and I'd be concerned if the sides do sink as low you will have trouble concealing a strip scar.

So, at 35 years-old I'm not as convinced as some posters that meds are the best option. You really need to think this through, consult with top doctors (I'd put Dr. Feller and H&W as already mentioned, at the top of my list. You also might want to try Dr. Rahal). If you do go through with a HT, make sure you have a solid game plan in place and manage your expectations.

Usa, I don't post much but I've been following this site for years now. I've undergone several transplants myself. Regarding whether you're a good candidate for surgery, my personal opinion is that you may be able to achieve a nice cosmetic result, although I don't think you will get full coverage. But, I'm not a doctor and many of the posters here are not either so we can only speculate based on photos.

My advice is to go to a reputable doctor or two and have them personally evaluate you to get a sense of what they may be able to do for you. The fact that you may be a NW6 or NW7 does not mean you are not a good candidate for a transplant. It just means your expectations need to be managed. Reputable hair transplant doctors sites are replete with before and after photos of NW6 and NW7 which tends to undermine the claims here that you are not a good candidate. So hear it from someone who has a degree, experience and reputation regarding your treatment options. Best of luck.