Best Concealer for Short Hair

Dermatch vs. Nanogen vs. Toppik?

I have heard great things about dermatch. Is it the best one?

Short hair being about a 2-guard. I will grow it out longer but right now it is at a 2-guard.

My hair is pitch black and skin is tan.

What should i use?

Guest mariewoltz25411697

Use Dermmatch to decrease the contrast between hair and scalp. With short hair I don't think making hair look thicker with hair fibers will conceal the baldness.

I used Toppik before with the spray attachment/pump.

I think it worked well with short hair. I haven't used it since my transplant since I do not want to clog or damage my grafts.

I know when I used it with my short hair style, it really worked well. They have a special spray you can use to kind of hold it in place in the rain.

Another question I have is that is it possible to achieve a look at isn't COMPLETELY full of hair?

I think it would be unrealistic to go from severely thinning to completely full.

Can you achieve a middle ground with dermmatch?

With concealer's it is all about trial and error. It took me months to get a good method down. Just remember that less is more! Too much concealer caked on then you might stand out with a painted head. Dermmatch is easier to fade than nanogen or toppik.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

thanks guys,

i used dermmatch and love it so far.

it is tricky with how damp to use the applicator.

i dont want to bother with toppik or nano, i feel like if somebody ran there fingers through my head stuff would come off.

with dermmatch i feel more safe.

however, the scar does not look any better with dermmatch unfortunately.

• 1 month later...
Dermatch vs. Nanogen vs. Toppik?

I have heard great things about dermatch. Is it the best one?

Short hair being about a 2-guard. I will grow it out longer but right now it is at a 2-guard.

My hair is pitch black and skin is tan.

What should i use?

Up until recently, I used the combination of both Dermatch and Nanogen to achieve a look of density.

Since I had recession at the front of my scalp, I wasn't able to achieve a straight line, and I had to follow the receding hairline. Even still, the result was believable to people who didn't know that I was using these two products.

Like another poster mentioned, there's an amount of trial and error involved, moreso with the Dermatch. Since my hairloss up front consists of fading hair, I can't have a strong hairline, and it took some time with tissue paper to wipe away just the right amount to make it look proper.

The Nanogen fibers were also necessary to help cover the painted scalp. When I put on the Dermatch, I applied it all over, wherever there was hair. In the thinning areas, this would have been noticable unless I applied the fibers on top.

As a combo, they worked for me. There's a cost factor involved, as well as the time needed to apply it each day, and to wash it out at night.

My regret is not realizing the extent of my hair loss soon enough and not taking stronger minoxidil to stop it before it got to where it is.

With concealer's it is all about trial and error. It took me months to get a good method down. Just remember that less is more! Too much concealer caked on then you might stand out with a painted head. Dermmatch is easier to fade than nanogen or toppik.

Aaron

What do you use for concealer? Ive never used concealers before..just wondering your method?

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Yo Newhair,

I currently use dermmatch for my crown. I often, though not always, sprinkle a little nanogen on top of the dermmatched area. And less frequently I add a little nanogen to the front. After three transplants to the frontal third I believe I don't need much concealing there anymore - though who knows I might change my mind someday.

The best way for me to apply dermmatch is fresh out of the shower with a slight towel dry. Wet hair makes it easier for the dermmatch to go on without too much rubbing and pulling of hairs.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 1 month later...

however, the scar does not look any better with dermmatch unfortunately.

Hi Mac1,

Any success with concealing the donor scar with very short hair ( Grade 1 or 2) ?

Anyone out there has done it with some success?