Just Started Minox Yesterday. Thoughts?

Spanker

OK, I am a NW 2.5. My corners and now the very front of my hairline have started to erode. I would say the first 2 cm of my hairline.

My question is, if you start Minox, and get off, is there any chance that it would cause you to be worse off than you would have been anyway?

I am basically just testing it out and looking to see if get any results. Since it is in the very front, if I don't see any I plan on stopping.

I have been on Propecia for a little over a year and I can't say I have seen any regrowth.

I did go through a heavy four month shed this summer and now I can't hardly get a hair to fall out, so I don't know whats up with that.

Also, I was suprised by the easy of application and found it even less annoying then taking my pill, when you include the fact of cutting it into fourths.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I dont know if you would be worse off, but of course, you could have naturally regressed in the time that you were using the product, so it could catch up.

Just my thoughts, im sure an expert will come along and correct/add.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

Thanks, waiting for more opinions. I put a lot of thought and opinions into this board. It is a little concerning that I am not getting any feedback. :(

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

When I was researching minoxidil I found the general consensus was that you can use it for 4 months and if you don't get any re-growth you can stop it no harm done. But if you do get any re-growth and use for more than 4 months,and stop using it, you could end up going through a shed where you loose the Minoxidil dependant hairs and a few more. I 'am no expert but I did do quite a lot of research.

I have been using Minoxidil for two months and can see a lot of miniaturized hairs on my front getting thicker I'm hoping these turn into full mature hairs.

Thanks, waiting for more opinions. I put a lot of thought and opinions into this board. It is a little concerning that I am not getting any feedback. :(

You'll get some opinions. Remember it is the weekend, so people could be busy with families etc. ;)

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=10024&WebID=2832

October 2011 - 1647 FUT - Dr Dorin

January 2014 - 1580 FUT - Dr Dorin

Spanker

You are a big contributer to this board...let me give you my two cents

First, don't get off minox, I know that sucks, but its something us MPB people have to go through! If you do decide to get off of it though, I think your hair will just go through a "catch up" phase of thinning..However, being on propecia will likely offset that catch up. Thats just my opinion though. Look at the pictures on my website, I had just started fin and minox when those pictures were taken..I can tell a HUGE difference now. Those pics were taken in January 2011..I will take more photos before my surgery with Dr Rahal in January 2012 so I can compare..Give it time, stick with it, if you are using the foam its so easy, quick drying and convenient . Ive just gotten used to it, Like brushing my teeth.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Don't stop with Minoxidil. Your story is the same as mine it seems. I used Propecia for a little less than a year which stopped the loss but never helped to replace what I lost. After two months on Minoxidil I saw some wicked regrowth in my hairline. I'm now at the three month mark and I'm happy with my progress :) check out my thread for pictures.

Can't wait to see how much has regrown in 6 months to a year. If I can maintain my current hairline I will be very happy.

I don't think you would be worse off.

Think about it this way, minoxidil does nothing to interfere with the actual balding process, it just gives cosmetically significant offset growth to which sort of masks the balding process.

Think of it this way, everyone couple of months a man is loosing height. To offset the height loss he puts blocks in his shoes. He appears the same height, although he is constantly getting shorter. When he stops using the blocks he has still lost X amount of height. Minox is the same. Any worse off you are after you stop minox will just be the normal rate at which you are balding in the first place.

For this reason, I dont use minoxidil. For the annoyance of putting stuff on my scalp I would rather use a topical AA then a cover up.

I have always thought of minoxidil as a biotech hair piece.

If you are not getting any results, there shouldn't be any difference. I have been on 2% minoxidil for two months and can't say i have noticed any improvement. My hairline seems to have gotten worse, however I am not going to blame this on the drug.

Please keep us updated to your results. I am in the same boat as you and would like to know how it worked for you.

Cheers

Minoxidil does help, but without some minimal DHT hindrance, it is barely noticeable.

Kind of unsure what this means.

View Spanker's Website

• 2 weeks later...

Spanker,

I think my meds endeavour has just been as hap hazard as my approach to HTs.

I am a NW 2 and like you, thinning in the first 2 cms, 3 if I'm being hyper critical (but realistic).

I started on kirkland minox about 3.5 years ago on my hairline only. I found it annoying and clumsy to apply. I stuck with it for 6 months and saw no improvement and no major shedding but I would say that if I was to get off the fence and give you it straight, my hairline appeared slightly thinner. Was that down to the meds or its ineffectiveness and the gradual erosion of the hairline continuing, probably the latter.

Two and a half years ago I went to the Belgravia Centre in London where I received some advice from a lady who could barely string a sentence together in English let alone ply me with her expert knowledge. But out of desperation I started on propecia and their special patented potion of minox: extra strength 12.5 %.

After giving the minox a whirl for 6 months I binned it. Was this too soon to make an informed judgement? Not sure. However my scalp was dry, the hair appeared dry in the hairline and seemed to erode, but this time quite aggressively.

But I stayed with the fin and take it to this day. 2.5 years on and I feel that it is over rated. I stay on it out of fear of the potential consequences from withdrawal.

But in-between all that I had 2 bad UK hairline HTs.

I'm also in a highly demanding and stressful job.

If you can work all that out then you are a genius mate. Like I say, too many variables to give an accurate appraisal.

My advice to you and anybody out there would be to start on a steady regimen and keep things consistent. Adding, chopping and changing just creates confusion and anxiety.

I am yet to see anybody showcasing good minox results to the hairline. I'm not criticising it or anybody that uses it. Indeed, after my last HT which I am just days out of, I may explore minox and other drugs again more closely in the hope of finding a life long manageable routine.

Biotin will feature on my list as it prob does nat all to retain or replenish but may improve quality, the next best substitute!

Are you confused, well I tried mate!

Jessie

Spanker,

I think my meds endeavour has just been as hap hazard as my approach to HTs.

I am a NW 2 and like you, thinning in the first 2 cms, 3 if I'm being hyper critical (but realistic).

I started on kirkland minox about 3.5 years ago on my hairline only. I found it annoying and clumsy to apply. I stuck with it for 6 months and saw no improvement and no major shedding but I would say that if I was to get off the fence and give you it straight, my hairline appeared slightly thinner. Was that down to the meds or its ineffectiveness and the gradual erosion of the hairline continuing, probably the latter.

Two and a half years ago I went to the Belgravia Centre in London where I received some advice from a lady who could barely string a sentence together in English let alone ply me with her expert knowledge. But out of desperation I started on propecia and their special patented potion of minox: extra strength 12.5 %.

After giving the minox a whirl for 6 months I binned it. Was this too soon to make an informed judgement? Not sure. However my scalp was dry, the hair appeared dry in the hairline and seemed to erode, but this time quite aggressively.

But I stayed with the fin and take it to this day. 2.5 years on and I feel that it is over rated. I stay on it out of fear of the potential consequences from withdrawal.

But in-between all that I had 2 bad UK hairline HTs.

I'm also in a highly demanding and stressful job.

If you can work all that out then you are a genius mate. Like I say, too many variables to give an accurate appraisal.

My advice to you and anybody out there would be to start on a steady regimen and keep things consistent. Adding, chopping and changing just creates confusion and anxiety.

I am yet to see anybody showcasing good minox results to the hairline. I'm not criticising it or anybody that uses it. Indeed, after my last HT which I am just days out of, I may explore minox and other drugs again more closely in the hope of finding a life long manageable routine.

Biotin will feature on my list as it prob does nat all to retain or replenish but may improve quality, the next best substitute!

Are you confused, well I tried mate!

Jessie

Have you used the foam yet, it is quite easy.

View Spanker's Website

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My first post.

Ive been using Minox for 3 months 9 days today.

I can say I noticed growth of fine hairs at the hair line within a week..maybe they were there already but looking at the photos ive posted in my album on here today and others I have on my PC I would say there has been some slight regrowth at the front and most noticably all over the scalp the hair is thicker and darker. I would not be surprised if in another 3 months I saw significant improvement in this area.

I dont think there is enough juice in the tank to grow back my flowing locks from 15 years ago, but I'm impressed with Kirkland Minoxidil and I use Alpecin caffeine shampoo everyday...which some people suggest as anti hair loss.

Check the photos in my album out, not the best quality angles, but will be interesting to see after 12 months of treatment.

I would appreciate a second opinion incase :) I'm deceiving myself!

Cheers