Will we ever see the day that we take a tablet and all our hair somes back.

Ireland78

Ah, to dream!

It's not beyond the realm of possibility but I don't think that's likely to happen in our lifetime. Science does indeed move at an alarming pace these days, but the exact nature of androgenetic alopecia is still not 100% understood and a clear "magic bullet" has not even really been proposed yet.

I think over the next decade or two we can look forward to more treatments in the form of potentially pills, topical medication, improved hair transplantation techniques and stem cell therapy and similar treatments. But I'd hazard a strong guess no one specific technique will enable you to get all your hair back. I think the more realistic proposition is that over the next 20 or 30 years we can combine several techniques to make a more significant impact on the amount of hair we can get back and the quality of it. Hopefully we'll be able to get to a point in the not so distant future where the majority of people can restore a very good head of hair at a not ridiculous cost. We're already pretty close really but hopefully we can improve on that in the coming years.

But the magic pill? I think it's too much to ask for, given the complexity of hairloss. One day, very possibly. But one day that we'll still be alive to see? Not so sure!

We went from the flight at Kitty Hawk, to a man on the moon in about 50 years, so it is anyone's guess.

A life time is a very long time in the scheme of science. Personally, I would be surprised if one is not able to have all of his hair in 20 years. The question is will he be able to afford it?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Id rather have a tablet than can cure Cancer, Aids, ect...before worry about some stupid pill to cure hair loss. My opinion.

I would too, that said, money is what drives research, and while there is money in AIDS and Cancer research, there is a lot of money and there will be a lot of research in hair restoration as well.

I wouldn't call it a stupid pill either, and if you didn't worry about such things, you wouldn't have an account with 207 posts. Just my opinion.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

We went from the flight at Kitty Hawk, to a man on the moon in about 50 years, so it is anyone's guess.

A life time is a very long time in the scheme of science. Personally, I would be surprised if one is not able to have all of his hair in 20 years. The question is will he be able to afford it?

We went from Louis Bleriot, Wright brothers and their first air death traps to full aerial combats in 5-6 year time. :D My personal opinion is that great inventions come after great world wars. When the world is starting to rebuild itself, the economy is rising and there is a need and hunger for everything.

I would too, that said, money is what drives research, and while there is money in AIDS and Cancer research, there is a lot of money and there will be a lot of research in hair restoration as well.

I wouldn't call it a stupid pill either, and if you didn't worry about such things, you wouldn't have an account with 207 posts. Just my opinion.

Spanker,

u are allowed to speak your opinion.

Cloning hairs and planting 20 000 grafts should not be so hard, we can grow livers, it's just not funded that much or is too expensive. Stem cells are always a controversy. If this procedure costed $50 000, I would finance today with no scars and illusions.

Definitely won't be a pill

Cloning hairs and planting 20 000 grafts should not be so hard, we can grow livers, it's just not funded that much or is too expensive. Stem cells are always a controversy. If this procedure costed $50 000, I would finance today with no scars and illusions.

Definitely won't be a pill

I agree, HT?s are going to be automated so the main cost of manual labor will drop and HT?s are going to be more affordable for the masses. Mass affordability is the key to make great profits, good old Ford is a fine example. Making unlimited grafts for transplanting using cloning technique and automated machine for implanting it in the scalp is the key to victory. :D

Dr. Jim Harris Purchases the First ARTAS Hair Restoration System for Automating the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) Procedure | Hair Loss Q & A

Edited by Pale_Rider

• 1 month later...

I don't really see the point in there being a magic pill, as with all medications comes the possibility of side effects and the annoyance of having to take something daily.

Once hair cloning is perfected and being sold, there will be no need to maintain your existing hair either, just clone some DHT immune follicles and stick them in the thinning area!

We are in an age where science has moved so quickly. Will the day come where we take a tablet and it all comes back. The mecca tablet!

Very possible! Only 5 years away! Ha

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I don't know if the "tablet theory" (i.e. take a single tablet and cure your ailment) will ever be true for any complex medical condition, but this does not mean we won't see some "miracle" cures in our lifetime.

All discussions about highly debilitating conditions (AIDS, Cancer, MS) aside, I personally think hair loss is too unique and complex of a condition to ever be "cured" with a single therapy. However, I definitely think we're going to evolve and invent to a point where a combination of treatments and therapies will allow for an non-invasive, satisfying reversal of genetic baldness.

In my opinion, I think we'll probably progress somewhere along the following lines:

1. An injectable hair loss solution that helps regrow around 15-20% of lost/miniaturized hairs. I feel like this will be somewhere along the lines of the current reversal seen with Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride), but without the need to stay on the medications for the same duration of time. Frankly, I believe this therapy is probably the furthest away.

2. A large number of practitioners offering reliable "Hair Regeneration" techniques. What I mean by this is a large number of physicians offering treatment involving partial follicular unit extraction and implantation with regrowth of terminal follicles in both the balding scalp and donor region (people often refer to this treatment as creating an "infinite donor supply"). We're already starting to see this via ACell hair duplication, the "Gho procedure," etc.

3. I believe traditional methods of hair transplantation (FUT and FUE) and medications will continue advancing.

I think this variety of options will create two scenarios: 1. minimally invasive methods for partial hair restoration (i.e. only undergoing injections or a single "hair regeneration" procedure); 2. near complete restoration via combination therapy (i.e. undergoing partial regrowth via injections and then restoring the rest of the hair (especially areas that require more control and planned density - e.g. hairline) with hair regeneration).

Remember, this is just my opinion. Additionally, I do believe that utilizing current methods - such as Propecia/Rogaine in combination with surgical hair transplantation, does allow for very satisfying restoration.

However, I do remain "cautiously optimistic" toward future therapies and the restoration potential when combining these treatments.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I don't know if the "tablet theory" (i.e. take a single tablet and cure your ailment) will ever be true for any complex medical condition, but this does not mean we won't see some "miracle" cures in our lifetime.

All discussions about highly debilitating conditions (AIDS, Cancer, MS) aside, I personally think hair loss is too unique and complex of a condition to ever be "cured" with a single therapy. However, I definitely think we're going to evolve and invent to a point where a combination of treatments and therapies will allow for an non-invasive, satisfying reversal of genetic baldness.

In my opinion, I think we'll probably progress somewhere along the following lines:

1. An injectable hair loss solution that helps regrow around 15-20% of lost/miniaturized hairs. I feel like this will be somewhere along the lines of the current reversal seen with Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride), but without the need to stay on the medications for the same duration of time. Frankly, I believe this therapy is probably the furthest away.

2. A large number of practitioners offering reliable "Hair Regeneration" techniques. What I mean by this is a large number of physicians offering treatment involving partial follicular unit extraction and implantation with regrowth of terminal follicles in both the balding scalp and donor region (people often refer to this treatment as creating an "infinite donor supply"). We're already starting to see this via ACell hair duplication, the "Gho procedure," etc.

3. I believe traditional methods of hair transplantation (FUT and FUE) and medications will continue advancing.

I think this variety of options will create two scenarios: 1. minimally invasive methods for partial hair restoration (i.e. only undergoing injections or a single "hair regeneration" procedure); 2. near complete restoration via combination therapy (i.e. undergoing partial regrowth via injections and then restoring the rest of the hair (especially areas that require more control and planned density - e.g. hairline) with hair regeneration).

Remember, this is just my opinion. Additionally, I do believe that utilizing current methods - such as Propecia/Rogaine in combination with surgical hair transplantation, does allow for very satisfying restoration.

However, I do remain "cautiously optimistic" toward future therapies and the restoration potential when combining these treatments.

That all sounds right! I think your are right, I think unfortunately hair loss is to complex to ever have a single cure.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Everything that will bust out Propecia/Rogaine out will be a good therapy. I do not know how you feel about Propecia/Rogaine but to me that is middle age technology. I would compare it to blood letting in the 16th century, more harm than benefits.