Hair Transplants FUE Vs. FUT

Hi Guys:

Doing some research and would love lots of imput! Can any of you tell me which is the preferred method FUE or FUT and why? Also, when the hair of either transplant grows is it as strong as the normal or regular growing hair? Meaning would a person be able to comb it, cut it, pull at it? Will it grow regularly, like the 1" a month as the ungraphed hair? Thanks for now!

God Bless,

Gingerrogers77 :)

Both are very good options and it also depends on your needs. Typically the FUE yield is lower than FUT so the results are a bit better, but if it's a small treatment FUE makes a lot of sense. The hair that is transplanted is your hair, it will grow normally, you can comb, cut and whatever else you would normally do.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for your answers. So the hair will be as strong as the current growing hair? Also, sometimes a snag might pull out a hair (accidentally) are we to treat the transplanted hair delicately and could this affect the growth at all?

Montreal: Can you please expand on your statement? Thanks!

Yes your hair will be as strong. Usually when your hair snags it doesn't get pulled out, but rather it breaks the root is still inside. But if you did pull out the follicle than it will not regrow as it has been completely removed. You only need to be delicate in that area for the first 2 weeks, after that you are fine.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

you will never get hair like you once had,transplanted hair will grow less strong and not always straight.I saw people on this forum with transplanted hair that just curles and it looks awful.Just remember HT is far from being perfect and there is a big risk to take.

Montreal you comments are incorrect. I don't know where you're getting your information. The hair that is transplanted is healthy and usually healthier than the native hair on top of your head because it's from your donor area, which doesn't react to DHT. The hair will curl if you have those types of hair characteristics. It seems that you are only coming on to this site to tell people that the HT process doesn't work and you should stay away, while you have not had one and have not experienced it for yourself. It is true that the HT will not give you the same density as when you were 13 years old, but it will give you a significant cosmetic improvement.

you will never get hair like you once had,transplanted hair will grow less strong and not always straight.I saw people on this forum with transplanted hair that just curles and it looks awful.Just remember HT is far from being perfect and there is a big risk to take.

Not true......you should not make statements like this when you don't have the background or knowledge to make them. You are making similar incorrect and unsupported statements on several threads which are not helpful or useful to those doing research and asking questions.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

That's because your statements are incorrect. In the beginning the hair won't be as thick, full or grow the same way it will be once a year goes by. It's a part of the maturation of the follicles; hairs start to grow at a slower pace at first and can be frizzy but that will change with enough time to develop. So don't make comments like "the hair will not be as strong, and not always straight" because that is simply not true and you're giving poor advice to someone and you're really not the person to be giving this type of advice, since you're very new to this whole thing.

whats your problem I see many people complaining about the way the hair is growing after a HT.People need to be better informed

My problem is with you making statements that are misleading and not helpful to people like Gingerrogers and others where you have made similar unsupported statements. I agree that people should do a lot of research and understand both the benefits and limitations of a HT so that they have realistic expectations. The fact is that the vast majority of people who have a HT with a really good HT surgeon are really happy with their results and the significant improvement it can make for them. You have not had a HT and you are not giving people sound advice. This is the last I am going to say about it because this thread is a question that Gingerrogers raised. I just don't want him to be mislead by your unsupported statements.

Good Evening:

Some other questions came to mind! With FUE (our preferred method) if we are correct seems less invasive, do he hair folicles that are removed for transplanting ever grow back or are they gone forever? Also, with your opinion, in the Tampa/Orlando, Fl areas, what doctors offer a free consultation and come recommended!

Cannot tell how helpful you have been and thanks!

God Bless,

Gingerrogers77 :)

Dr Charles comes to mind in Fla. I suppose one could argue that fue is more traumatic to the individual graft but certainly less invasive to the body overall. Im not sure if I understand your question about the follicle growing back. The follicle is extracted from the donor area and implanted in the recipient area where it grows. As far as the hole where the fue graft was extracted, it closes up and under current technology I don't believe it grows back.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Motreal

Why don't you and Francios ( if y'all are different posters ) go start your own website and title it

" we are uneducated about hair transants and nothing we say makes any sense "

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Ginger,

With fue the grafts are extracted one by one with a punch so there is a certain amount of trauma inflicted on each one as its removed from your head. With a strip, a large strip of skin is taken with no contact to the individual graft. The grafts are then removed from the strip by techs in presumably a more gentle fashion. So, you could say that fue is pretty invasive from the perspective of the graft but less so for you as a whole.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Ginger, I live in Orlando, and there is no one in this area I would consider. Dr Paul Rose in Tampa has a good reputation but I am not sure if he does FUE. Dr Carles in Boca is a very good surgeon and I believe he does FUE. Don't hesitate to travel to have you surgery.......I went to Minneapolis for mine and people travel across the world to ger to the right surgeon for them. I would recommend that you consult with several surgeons and get a good understanding of the process and the difference between FUE and FUT. They are both really good procedures. You have to decide which is best for you based on your goals, short and long term, your hair characteristics and costs. You will find lots of opinions on which is "better". Personally I think they are both really good. Like most people here i am not a Dr. and that is just my opinion. I decided on FUT for me after consulting with several surgeons who do both procedures. Just do a lot of research and decide what is best for you and most important is to choose from among top rated surgeons. In the end choose one who you are most comfortable with.

Hey there people,

I am a young male from Turkey and I have area-based thinning problem.

Which one of the surgical replacements would be better, this question FUE Vs. FUT is the question in my mind. Which one would you prefer for thinning?

Hi Guys,

Here is an article about this topic Bill and I authored earlier this year:

Can FUT and FUE Peacefully Co-Exist?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hey I'm Arthur, I just had a FUE hair transplant 3 weeks ago and obviously some of the new hair is falling off as it should. My concern is since I keep my hair short and I only get buzz cuts, I use hair clippers #1 all around my scalp when i cut my hair, will this affect the grafts after 3 weeks of surgery? I know after 2 weeks the grafts are firmly in place but should I be concerned about getting haircuts? Thanks.