Flying the day after HT?

Hello,

I am considering getting a HT this November during Thanksgiving break and then flying home to family the day after. Are there any issues immediately after A HT procedure I should be aware of and if it would adversely affect flight plans?

This really would be the best time for me as I normally am not able to take many days off, but have an opportunity during the Thanksgiving week to take a few vacation days, which in addition to the holiday, would give me some good time to recovery, but I don't know if flying is a bad idea or not.

Thank you!

Many people have flown the day after a HT but I would advise flying the following day after a HT. You need a day to assess your needs, examine your head and apply whatever your doctor prescribes, and that 24 hour window to see if you are going to bleed and stop by Walgreens to get whatever you need. I think it is much easier on you if you spend a day to relax and decompress after surgery. Of course, alot of it has to do with how many grafts you receive and how much area is covered, for smaller sessions, the next day is fine.

My most recent surgery had me worried about removing my bandana as my entire head had been shaved and either was a donor or a recipient site. I've found that I don't have to remove my bandana at security, unlike a hat, if I mention I just had surgery and offer them the opportunity to feel up there.

This time when going through security was different, instead of the metal detector I raised my arms for the body scan, and there was no asking me to remove a thing.

I recommend that patients fly out the day after surgery but not before there is enough time to visit the clinic for a hair wash and a final check up by the doctor. It's better to fly home soon like this as no one wants to fly with a swollen face, which can happen to some patients and usually starts to set in two or three days after surgery, then gets worse until it is basically gone by day six. This is the extreme minority but you get the point.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I went back to the clinic the morning after my HT to have everything checked out and get my hair washed. I then flew home that afternoon and had no problems, so I am sure you will be fine if you fly back the next day. Just allow sufficient time to go back to your clinic for a check and hair wash before you fly home.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I think it is best to fly out after the post op checkup and first cleaning. For me, I drove, but swelling kicked in big time on the 2nd night/third day after surgery. I couldn't drive on the third day because my eyes were somewhat shut due to swelling, so I had to stay an extra day, my eyes went back to normal, and then I drove home. The swelling lasted for a couple of days though. So, if you fly home soon after your checkup, then I guess you should be good to go to avoid any possible swelling during your flight. Good luck.

I would agree that flying the day after post-op is more ideal so that you can still be in the vicinity of the clinic the day after surgery just in case you need to see the doc face to face for any unforeseen reasons.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

I recommend staying put for a few days if you can. There are certainly people who fly the next day or day after and have no problems. If you must be home for TG then ok. But my thinking is that after spending thousands of dollars and using limited grafts, Im in no rush to be out in public worrying about swelling, bumping my head, etc. just for the sake of being home. After my first op I flew on day 2 and found it quite stressful. I made it home without problems though.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874