Money question

Hi, I'm new as a poster on here (lurked for a bit, always sounds creepy to write that) -- and I'm seriously considering getting a HT for my first time (I'm nearly 40 and have Norwood IVa best I can tell).

I'm in the process of doing consultations with all the top Drs rated on this forum. Thanks for all your informative and honest opinions.

I'm really nervous about this whole process.

I know that everyone on here keeps referring to the fact that you shouldn't worry about money during this type of procedure, that you should go with the best and who feels best to you. I totally respect that. However, I am also financially struggling, have a large family to support, work 3 jobs and and still only make around $40,000/yr. So thinking about dropping $10-15k on this procedure is just crazy, and keeps me up at night.

So at the risk of hearing the same response, I'd love some honest feedback on who is a top-rated surgeon that might also be the most reasonable cost, or at the very least, who has the best financial plan to pay off the procedure? I'm on the west coast so travel is also an issue for me. I've gone to a few out here that seem relatively reasonable financially (Wasserbauer, Panagotacos, etc.) but not much on this forum about them.

Can anyone help with thoughts/opinions? I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

Welcome to the forum!

I understand your financial concerns, its normal. Whenever you are dealing with top doctors the price different is very small. .In most cases you get what you pay for and some of these other clinics that are not recommended you will most likely need a second procedure. In the worse case you may even need to get repair. Losing your hair is normal but having a bad transplant isnt.

Research as much as possible I am sure posters will give you there opinion.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Many of the top doctors charge about the same for their procedures. Many doctors offer financing options as well as travel discounts so it may make payments much easier for you. Ask the doctors you are considering what they offer.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

You should also know that the top clinics' charges are more reasonable than the commercial clinics that you should stay away from. Also, the top clinics offer various discounts/help to offset travel expenses. This is something that you will live with in a very visible way, so please stick with one of the top clinics. You will be glad you did.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

If you are pulling in 40K with a large family to support then I'd might reconsider getting a HT. And for one basic reason: you will most likely need another transplant after the first. Right now you think you are only signing up for a $10-15K commitment, but in reality it is probably double that if not more.

I know how sensitive an issue this is. If you see my very first posts on this forum it is all about ways to scrap enough money together to pay off a HT. Short of male prostitution I was willing to do anything at the time. I went to a cheaper doc for my first procedure which I now regret.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks Aaron. I was hoping that if I did have to get another HT, it wouldn't be for a decade or more - is that being naive? I've been looking at H&W because they do the largest graft counts and I figure if I'm going to find a way to spend $10k+, I might as well get the biggest bang for my buck (as well as go for one of the tops in the biz).

It looks like you've had 3 procedures in only 3 years -- is that normal? I haven't seen that much around, but maybe I'm wrong?

You wanted honesty, and I will give it to you. I recently went to Dr. Pong in Chiang Mai Thailand for a first procedure. I had received two quotes from recommended doctors of "The LIST" before I decided on Dr. Pong. Like you, money was a big issue, and if the procedure was to be too expensive, I would not be able to have it done.

First off, I got a quote from H&W in Vancouver at $16,500 for the first treatment. Next I got a quote from Dr. Pathamovic in Bangkok for an even $10,000. Finally I got a quote from Dr. Pong in Chiang Mai that came it at a maximum of $5,000. Even with the $1,200 airfare, Dr Pong was a third of the cost of H&W and half the cost of Dr. Path.

I recently had the procedure done by Dr. Pong (August 1), with 2,875 grafts being done for a total final cost of $4,325. Total.

I asked Dr. Pong why he is not a recommended surgeon on this site. He said for 2 reasons. First, he is as busy at it is possible for him to be, doing roughly a transplant a day. Secondly, the vast majority of his clientele is Thai, who would not be reading an English language forum anyways.

Frankly, he just dosn't care whether he is on this websites "approved" list or not. He does exceptional work, guarentees it 100%, and has been in business for over 10 years and done thousands of hair transplants.

My experience with him was excellent, everything seems to be perfectly on track, the donor scar has already faded to almost nothing, and I'm just waiting for the 3-4 month mark to patiently watch for the new growth to begin.

In spite of what the salesm.... I'm sorry, the members on here say, you do not have to spend a fortune to get a great hair transplant.

PS: Its only 6 weeks post-op, and my HT is already all paid for ... nice feeling.

Edited by Vanman

Vanman, I agree with part of what you are saying......research should include more than just this site but this is a good place to get a lot of information and find some great skilled doctors who consistently produce outstanding results. I think it is great that you had such a good experience with Dr. Pong, and this site has provided a place for you to share that with others which is important. It is important for anyone doing research to understand that there are some real hack jobs out there that put on a great sales job, have nice offices and show good pictures. Just look around at the people who have experienced that. There are some great doctors identified on this site and not on this site, but there are thousands of HT doctors who consistently produce below average to poor to terrible results consistently. That is what most people on this site are trying to get across. The majority of people on this site, including myself are not salesmen and have no relationship to the HT business.....just people like you and me sharing their experiences and making recommendations and trying to help people. I would also add that most of the recommended doctors on this site charge substantially less than some of the clinics that have terrible reputations and produce inconsistent to really bad results on a regular basis.

Vanman, I agree with part of what you are saying......research should include more than just this site but this is a good place to get a lot of information and find some great skilled doctors who consistently produce outstanding results. I think it is great that you had such a good experience with Dr. Pong, and this site has provided a place for you to share that with others which is important. It is important for anyone doing research to understand that there are some real hack jobs out there that put on a great sales job, have nice offices and show good pictures. Just look around at the people who have experienced that. There are some great doctors identified on this site and not on this site, but there are thousands of HT doctors who consistently produce below average to poor to terrible results consistently. That is what most people on this site are trying to get across. The majority of people on this site, including myself are not salesmen and have no relationship to the HT business.....just people like you and me sharing their experiences and making recommendations and trying to help people. I would also add that most of the recommended doctors on this site charge substantially less than some of the clinics that have terrible reputations and produce inconsistent to really bad results on a regular basis.

Can you substatiate that with names of doctors and the below average results they achieved? Thousands of doctors?

I found there was a lot of fear-mongering from some board members when it became apparent I was not going to choose an "approved" surgeon from "The List", and this sounds like just that ... fear mongering. Since there are only a handful of sponsoring doctors on the approved list, and "thousands" who are substandard (apparently) ....that is like saying that 90% of all dentists are inferior, but our 20 recommended and approved dentists, are the only good ones out there you can be sure of. The credibility behind statements like that just isn't there.

Not all recommended doctors on this forum have the same prices. Some are very different in range vs others. The price difference can be like night and day. I know this because I requested multiple price quotes from numerous clinics listed on this forum and not listed on this forum. The only way for you to find out is to go for consultations and get those quotes. Only then, you will be able to tell who is giving you the best rate. I actually was able to get surgery at half the cost of what some of the doctors on this forum would have charged me if I had gone with them. That's a fact. Remember, negotiating doesn't hurt either. Don't just settle for the price you see listed. I too, am very cautious about my financial situation as I have financial concerns myself. Not everyone can afford multiple expensive procedures. This also depends on the level of hairloss you have. Realize that if you have very extensive hairloss, Norwood 5 or above, you may very well need multiple procedures. Maybe one now, and then another few years later to be satisfied. However, if you want to knock out a very large procedure in one day, then you can certainly discuss this with your doctor. I think price is a major factor to consider when getting hair restoration. For some money isn't an issue, but for most of the public it is. Have you tried getting consultations from any doctors around the west coast? Are you thinking of getting strip or fue? That is a factor to consider as well.

Vanman congradulations on your transplant. Its great that you are content with your procedure so far. Its might be better that you wait for your final result because at the end that is what is important. Looking at your pictures the procedure so far looks clean. I understand your limitations on an NW6 concerning hair transplants. Without knowing for sure my guess it that you have an area of baldness is probaly around 400sq/cm. So it appears you recieved 2875 grafts in around 200 sq/cm. This means that you have probaly recieved an 15 grafts per square cm. So with my experience even if you get everything that is promised you will have thin coverage. So its important for you to be realistic rather than question this forum. Regardless I am sure your plan is to get a second transplant.I agree price is an important aspect but many of these top doctors are repairing patients that saved alot of money going to cheaper countries. Its is in no way talking about your doctor or your procedure so far.

Having assisted Italians for over 8 years I have found only one doctor in Italy produce consistant good results. There is no fear mongering its call reality, I have witnessed this first hand. I understand that you may be looking for justification on your hair transplant that is normal. You may not be the best example in my opinion because you have had full growth or seen the final result.

I agree with orhair that over 90% of doctor perform subpar results. I am saying this because I have seen it.

Edited by lorenzo

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

Vanman,

"The credibility behind statements like that just isn't there."

We can just agree to disagree on that one. You can find a lot of examples of really bad work on this forum and in other places. It is up to each person how much of a gamble they want to take with a big decision such as a HT. It sounds like you think everyone on this forum, except you of course, is wrong and I guess that could be true, but we will leave that to others to decide. Again, glad you had a great experience and I think it is important that you share that.

Edited by orlhair1

In spite of what the salesm.... I'm sorry, the members on here say, you do not have to spend a fortune to get a great hair transplant.

You had quite the informercial going on for Dr. Pong in your post on a thread about financing transplants. Who's being the salesman?

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Thanks Aaron. I was hoping that if I did have to get another HT, it wouldn't be for a decade or more - is that being naive? I've been looking at H&W because they do the largest graft counts and I figure if I'm going to find a way to spend $10k+, I might as well get the biggest bang for my buck (as well as go for one of the tops in the biz).

It looks like you've had 3 procedures in only 3 years -- is that normal? I haven't seen that much around, but maybe I'm wrong?

Three transplants in the pass three years. Yes, I don't know if it is normal or how many other patients do it that way. It didn't help matters that I didn't do my due diligence and went to a cheap doctor for my first procedure. I might have only needed one or two surgeries if I did it right the first time around. Everyone is different. Some might get by with just one procedure but I think far more patients at the very least feel like they need more work even if they are happy with the results.

I don't think your being naive... just optimistic. Just remember once you sign up for one transplant you need to be prepared for more when your hair loss progresses.

You had quite the informercial going on for Dr. Pong in your post on a thread about financing transplants. Who's being the salesman?

I was thinking the same thing. Thought not only that was a cheap shot but showed a great deal of immaturity in my opinion even though he appears to be close to 60. Whenever you make a decision that you are happy with you dont have to insult others in order to have justification. Not only in my opinion he insulted this website but also insulted the many reps that post on it. There was no need to do that in order to prove your point. All that being said he hasnt even close to seeing his full result. So naturally it would make more sense to talk about your experiences and wait to showoff the final work. Not to push a doctor that you have yet to see the final results.

I don't think your being naive... just optimistic. Just remember once you sign up for one transplant you need to be committed to more when your hair loss progresses

First of all aaron congrads on your hair transplant. Vanman is an example that will not only need a second procedure but perhaps even a third one if possible. I have a funny feeling that in 6 months we will not be seeing any pictures or hearing from him. Hopefully I am wrong but that is my thoughts.

Edited by lorenzo

First of all aaron congrads on your hair transplant. Vanman is an example that will not only need a second procedure but perhaps even a third one if possible. I have a funny feeling that in 6 months we will not be seeing any pictures or hearing from him. Hopefully I am wrong but that is my thoughts.

Thanks Lorenzo! Appreciate it... And I hope nothing but the best for vanman. But I definitely was a victim of thinking cheap for my first procedure. I was better off waiting another year or two when I was better able to afford it.

Aaron you have gone through alot of what I see with the Italians quite often. You are fortuante that very little damage was done and you picked a great clinic/doctor for your second procedure. Many patients I meet have recieved horrible transplants before coming to H&W.

Three years ago I became really good friends with an Italians patient. His friend called me and enquirered about hair transplant. He was undecided between H&W and a cheaper clinic in Europe. At the end his decision was based on price and location and I wish him the best. One year later he was at H&W for a repair and more grafts.

I am not saying this is always the case but this is an example that I have seen live.

At the end his decision was based on price and location and I wish him the best. One year later he was at H&W for a repair and more grafts.

Yup, an initial decision based on price eventually becomes more expensive in the long run.

Yes, I completely understand not to make a decision based on price - what I'm trying to figure out is how to make this work for me in the financial situation I'm in. Since many folks on here must have been in a similar financial situation, I'm looking for any suggestions on how to do this.

A few folks have mentioned negotiating - do these top clinics/surgeons really negotiate? How does this work exactly? Someone also mentioned that with the economy problems some clinics were becoming more competitive with their costs to lure patients in -- is there anywhere on here that shows a price comparison for the recommended surgeons? Any help/advice is appreciated.

Yes, I completely understand not to make a decision based on price - what I'm trying to figure out is how to make this work for me in the financial situation I'm in. Since many folks on here must have been in a similar financial situation, I'm looking for any suggestions on how to do this.

A few folks have mentioned negotiating - do these top clinics/surgeons really negotiate? How does this work exactly? Someone also mentioned that with the economy problems some clinics were becoming more competitive with their costs to lure patients in -- is there anywhere on here that shows a price comparison for the recommended surgeons? Any help/advice is appreciated.

I understand your concerns as it was similar to mine. I don't think there are prices listed openly here, but you can try the doctor's websites. Some doctors openly display their prices, while some you get the prices with your consultation/quotes. Your financial concerns are very valid.

There are some people that pay more for better quality, while there are some that pay less for the same or better quality. Obviously, not all cheap/affordable surgeries end up in failure. I understand there are some surgeons that might be hidden gems and offer a great price and get great results, but there are some that can also offer a cheap price and give you a bad transplant. The only way to find out is to talk with several hair restoration clinics, explain your situation, see their results, see the deal they give, see if they can negotiate, see if there is a 0 interest payment plan, ask what options are available on the table when it comes to payment and payment terms.

Clinics are competitive, why wouldn't they be. You got one quote given by someone and you ask another clinic if they can match it. If it is feasible for a clinic and they can make a profit, they'll go for it. Obviously, it has to be within the reasonable limits for that clinic to make a profit, pay employees, insurance, other bills, and etc. A doctor in Thailand has less costs to worry about due to the economy/cost of living in that region, as compared to a doctor that is in the United States or Canada. The cost of living factor plays a big role. There are just so many factors, but in the end it's who you feel comfortable with and who you feel can get the job done. This can only be done with extensive research, evaluation of patient results, and any other information pertaining to your level of hair loss.

I'd really begin the process by going through multiple hair consultations. If those consultations are free, that's even better. This way you can get quotes and ask payment questions. Cross off clinics that you feel uncomfortable with, and highlight ones that match your interests. In the end, see if you can work something out with the doctors. Some doctors are flexible, but it depends on the situation, the type of surgery, and the number of grafts, etc other factors. Good Luck.