Biotin usage question

hello everyone

my name is Jeff, and i am new to this forum .. so nice to meet you all.

i am 28 soon, and already starting to see a major setback in my hairline.

i have been doing some research, and come up with a site about Biotin hair growth (link removed by moderator) that seems to have a very recent research about Biotin effects on stopping hair loss and contributing to hair growth using Biotin vitamins and diet.

the good thing i found on the site, is that you dont really need to purchase all of those expensive hair products that "include" Biotin.

they talk about Biotin rich diet, and i am defently willing to try that.

so my question is, did any one have any expirience with such diet?

any suggestions and tips will be most welcome.

i will try to update a thread of my work in progress including pictures.

p.s i have been reading a lot on this forum, and was a pretty silent, decided to make some changes today :) wish me luck !

Edited by TakingThePlunge

Biotin is produced by the body by bacteria in the intestinal tract. That being said, there are a lot of factors that can hinder that process. Illness, some medications, raw eggs, etc. I take a seizure medication that hinders the body's production of it's own Biotin, so I do take a Biotin supplement. Biotin deficiency is rare, but it can happen and can cause hair loss. I have seen some improvement since starting the Biotin supplement 9 months ago. Some well respected hair transplant surgeons recommend a Biotin supplement. Dr. Limmer, who is recommended on this site, recommends Appearex tablets which is basically just a high quality 2.5 mg. dose of Biotin. Finasteride is definitely the most important thing you can take, followed by Minoxidil and Nizoral or any Ketoconazole shampoo.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I just started taking 6,000 mcg of Biotin daily last month. I can't really speak for the hair on my head because I don't know if it's really having any effect yet. However, the one very noticeable change is to my face and body hair.

I now have to shave 4-5x a week. It used to be 2-3x a week. My face hair is growing much more rapidly now. It's the same with my body hair. I kind of don't like the fact that I have to shave so much, but if it will improve my head hair, then I'm all for it.

I'm just one month post-op so I'll be monitoring it very closely. I also take a Hair, Skin and Fingernail Multi-Vitamin as well. I remember when I first started taking it, I went from having to clip my fingernails twice a month, to once a week. So there is definitely something going on there too...

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

I know Spex recommends it.

I started taking 5,000 mcg's of Biotin daily after my previous surgery. Being two months post-op and dealing with a little shock loss is making it hard for me to determine it's value. I would guess that my hair is growing back fast. But given that I'm also on 3000 mg of MSM daily, Folic Acid, Multi-Vitamins (and don't forget about finasteride) it is pretty much impossible for me to tell which supplement is working or not.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 3 weeks later...

I have been taking around 4,000 mcgs of biotin for over a year. Biotin will certainly improve the health of your existing hair, but it will not do a thing to stop hair loss or regrow it. A bummer, but it's true. Also, it will be difficult for you to only get biotin from diet--get a high quality biotin supplement. I use Andrew lessman's healthy hair skin and nails formula.

I hoped biotin would work miracles for me. It didn't. Use it as a supplement to a Propecia regiment.

Good luck.

I agree that it would be almost impossible to get a significant increase in biotin with diet alone. You would definitely need some quality supplements. I recommend one that uses the newer nano technology. These are made with nano particles that actually get absorbed in the intestine. Most vitamins and supplements are produced with macro particles and clusters that are too big to get absorbed and get excreted in the urine before being absorbed. I also agree that Biotin probably has more of an effect on hair quality than quanity.