Suture Removal & Some Good News!

I just got my sutures removed at 12 days post-op. I was also given a bit of good news which I'll get to shortly.

The healing process was much easier the second time around and much less traumatic an experience overall. Just like with my first procedure, there was no swelling, bleeding or oozing. Of course, my donor area is still sensitive but that will go with time.

To date, there has been no shock loss. I didn't experience any last time either so I'm hoping that it holds this time as well.

The big difference is that my head is no longer numb. This is in stark contrast to last time where my midsection remained numb for over 5 months post-op. I was beginning to get worried, thinking that it would never go back to normal, but it started to subside around month 6 and by month 8 I had normal sensation again.

So what's interesting this time is that it's only been two weeks and the numbness is virtually gone... I don't get it. I thought that it would actually be worse this time! I'm not complaining though.

Now on to the good news...

Dr. Dorin is on vacation now so Dr. True gave me my follow up examination. I had a pretty long conversation with him about FUT and FUE, closures techniques, scars, methods, etc... It's really nice to have access to another doctor and get a different opinion and perspective.

So I asked him what he thought about the quality of my donor supply and how much I had left.

To my surprise, he said that it looked like I could easily get another 7,000-8,000 grafts out of it between FUT and FUE!!! Bear in mind, that a year ago, they estimated that I had around 7,000-8,000 grafts total available donor supply. Now, after two HTs totaling 3,000 grafts, it appears that I have another 7-8k left in the donor bank!

Hells yeah!

I had thought that I was down to 5,000 grafts or so but it appears that I'm one of the lucky ones. I basically had around 10,000 available grafts in my donor area to start with. If I'm down to 7-8k now, that puts me in a very comfortable position should any hair loss progress. I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't though...

Below are some pics of my recipient area two weeks post-op.

As always, any thoughts or comments are welcomed...

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

It looks like you are in really good shape now and in the future. I wonder if the ~400 less grafts this time around had anything to do with the numbness lasting so short? Anyways I'm glad to hear things are going well this time!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Lookin good Corv!!! Hairline looks really good and promising! You must be so excited about the donor news...good stuff! I'm curious now that you met with Dr. True...is his approach similar to Dr. Dorin's? I haven't yet met Dr. True but was always curious to see if I should meet with him too to just see any contrasting and/or similar views with Dr. Dorin who I thought was great.

I'm curious now that you met with Dr. True...is his approach similar to Dr. Dorin's? I haven't yet met Dr. True but was always curious to see if I should meet with him too to just see any contrasting and/or similar views with Dr. Dorin who I thought was great.

Well, I actually consulted with Dr. True and Dr. Dorin twice each before making my decision. In my particular case, Dr. True wanted to go a little more conservative than Dr. Dorin, but only by 300 grafts. Dr. Dorin's approach was still on the conservative side.

As I mentioned before, I was very comfortable with either doctor. I ended up with Dr. Dorin because he had an earlier opening. Had Dr. True had an earlier opening, I would have gone with him.

I would definitely suggest meeting with Dr. True as I find him to be a wealth of experience and expertise. He is one of the pioneers of the HT industry and actually teaches other docs how to do FUT/FUE. He's very welcoming and affable too.

I'm sure that he has his own opinions, style and philosophy when it comes to HT, which is a good thing in my eyes. So go ahead and consult with him, I'm sure you'll learn something.

Corvettester

Corv,

I'm thrilled for you! That is great news and very encouraging should you need further work in the future. As it stands, you should be looking good for a long time to come when this one grows out.

Good luck! Can't wait to see how things work out.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Great results! I just looked through all of your albums, and you're definitely fortunate. This procedure brought your hairline down considerably lower than the last, and the last one brought your hairline considerably forward from your starting point. I definitely can't see you bringing the hairline down anymore since it appears--especially in profile--that your hairline now reaches your frontalis muscles. The forehead angle appears more flat now, which gives you a more youthful AND masculine appearance, particularly with the stronger temporal points.

As conservative in graft numbers as these procedures were, the results are dramatic. You appear to have gone from prematurely approaching a NWIV to being able to expect a very youthful NWI when it's all said and done...and you have plenty left in your donor area!

Congrats! I, too, had the fortune of seeing both Dr. True and Dr. Dorin, and I can attest that they're the real deal and at the very top of their game. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone else in the field with their level of expertise and their sheer artistry!

Looking great Corv! Seems like we both got very lucky this time around with the healing and limited redness, which is pretty awesome given the blonde/fair factor we both have going on.

Maybe it was our meeting in the office...ha!

And, wow, congrats on the donor supply...that's really, really great news! We definitely differ on that front. I didn't even have that much to begin with, and I've already used up probably half of what I had. But, it's all good.

Happy growing,

teach77

...I would guess your hair loss situation has stabilised?

Vincent,

Yes, I believe that my hair loss has stabilized for the time being. It's held steady since my first consultation two years ago.

I go in for follow up visits every three months. Each time, they examine and photograph my crown and midsection as we are monitoring it very closely.

One of the reasons I'm monitoring it so closely is that I'm not on meds. If my crown or midsection starts to go, I will start Propecia immediately so as to possibly save whatever native hair I can. However, for the time being, I'm opting to stay away off meds.

Corvettester

This procedure brought your hairline down considerably lower than the last, and the last one brought your hairline considerably forward from your starting point. I definitely can't see you bringing the hairline down anymore since it appears--especially in profile--that your hairline now reaches your frontalis muscles. The forehead angle appears more flat now, which gives you a more youthful AND masculine appearance, particularly with the stronger temporal points.

As conservative in graft numbers as these procedures were, the results are dramatic. You appear to have gone from prematurely approaching a NWIV to being able to expect a very youthful NWI when it's all said and done...and you have plenty left in your donor area.

Secretly Thinning,

Do you really think I was approaching a NW4? That hurts man! You're really scaring me now! :eek: LOL!

Just to clarify, it only appears that my hairline has been lowered, when in fact, it has only been squared off. Dr. Dorin designs his hairlines very jaggedly to give it a natural appearance. However, that isn't my preference so I asked him to contour it or square it off because that's just how I like it!:D

However, he certainly lowered it with my first HT, which basically reestablished it to where it had always been. Yes, I've always had a high hairline...

I appreciate the compliments though. Looking more youthful and masculine by flattening out the forehead angle is exactly what I was shooting for. You have a good eye for detail. Thanks a lot!

So when are we going to see your results, buddy?

Corvettester

Congrats Corvettester. Great to hear all the positive things and especially about the additional availability of donor.

I bet you are going to keep having procedures until every last 8000 is used....hehe.

I can already tell that I will have more done. :)

Great to hear from you.

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)