Dr. Umar

Ryan123

Hello Thanatopsis

All your questions are valid and I appreciate your concern and I dont think that you are trying to sell me a doctor or clinic.

What I do think is that you are trying to say FUT is better than FUE (assuming there was no scar in both). I have done lots of research on this and its definitely debatable but my conclusion would be that if I choose the right FUE surgeon I would be able to acheive the same results as if I had done an FUT. Do you agree or am I thinking wrong?

6000 to 9000 grafts, I mean Dr. Umar is one of the only doctor I have found that does suregery with such magnitude. I have posted a video of someone who received 15000 grafts in one surgery which probabaly lasted a week. So I guess it is possible, what do you think of the below video?

I am taking all my savings to go and commited to achieve my goal at any cost but at the same time with an open mind and outting all my emotions aside. Thats why I have chosen a unique doctor that can perform such high number of grafts. Hasson and Wong never do above 4500 grafts. and I honestly dont still understand why most good surgeons dont go above 4500 and Dr. Umar seemed to be going way above it and getting good results.

Cheers

Aaron, who you talking about?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be going to Hasson and Wong,period.

I have not seen any of Dr Umar's results that can even compare to Hasson and Wong density and thickness.

Just because he is a listed doctor on here does not mean he is in the same league as another doctor listed on here.

Fut scars now are like the edge of a pack of cards and paper thin.

There is a misconception regarding fut scars.

Strip was first performed in the 1950's or something and the whole process has been refined and evolved considerably since then.

Its has been around far longer than fue and usually people see a scar from like 10, 20 years ago and think they are like that now.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Hasson and Wong never do above 4500 grafts.

I was referring to the posting legend Thana.

It's simply untrue that H&W never go above 4,500. I've seen them do as much as 8,000 grafts and they routinely go above 5,000-6,000.

Dr. Umar's work is a good last resort. But H&W's work has been proven time and time again. I think you are little too caught up in graft counts. More grafts doesn't always translate into better results. Think about it this way - would you rather have a failed transplant of 3,000 grafts or 7,000 grafts when most of your precious donor has been used up. I would also say that 5,000 FUT grafts would be far more effective than 10,000 FUE nape/beard/BHT/scalp grafts.

But if large graft counts are important to you than still you should look no where else than H&W. We all want the best for you Ryan. I wish I would have heeded some advice from experienced posters and HT veterans when I was a newbie - it would have spared me my first poor transplant by a doctor that was once recommended on this site.

P.S. And consider the fact that your case if enough to get Thana out of retirement.... many of us have tried for months for that to happen.

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hello Thanatopsis

All your questions are valid and I appreciate your concern and I dont think that you are trying to sell me a doctor or clinic.

What I do think is that you are trying to say FUT is better than FUE (assuming there was no scar in both). I have done lots of research on this and its definitely debatable but my conclusion would be that if I choose the right FUE surgeon I would be able to acheive the same results as if I had done an FUT. Do you agree or am I thinking wrong?

6000 to 9000 grafts, I mean Dr. Umar is one of the only doctor I have found that does suregery with such magnitude. I have posted a video of someone who received 15000 grafts in one surgery which probabaly lasted a week. So I guess it is possible, what do you think of the below video?

I am taking all my savings to go and commited to achieve my goal at any cost but at the same time with an open mind and outting all my emotions aside. Thats why I have chosen a unique doctor that can perform such high number of grafts. Hasson and Wong never do above 4500 grafts. and I honestly dont still understand why most good surgeons dont go above 4500 and Dr. Umar seemed to be going way above it and getting good results.

Cheers

I'm honestly not inclined to debate FUT vs FUE in any way here, as it's a debate that entails way more nuance and complexity than what your situation entails and is going through.

Generally speaking, I love FUE; the same way I love FUT when it's performed by world-class clinics.

All I'm getting at is this: I see two routes which you can take.

One entails minimal uncertainty about the result, regarding growth; wouldn't have any unresolved red flags about naturalness; and which has zero mystery about what your surgery is even entailing, regarding the grafts, the types of grafts, and the subsequent impact on the result and meeting your expectations. Not to mention, an irrefutable cache of crystal clear results and long-standing history to back it up.

The other route has none of this, but the benefit of never having a strip scar.

I've told you my personal experience in having a strip scar *worse* than anything you'd likely end up with; if, for whatever reason, you value not having a FUT scar in any fashion, and value it far above the actual transplantation of hair, I'm not one to tell you otherwise.

But taking into account all the above, and that you are pouring your ife savings into this (not to mention the incalculable cost of your emotion, time, and how you are going to look for the rest of your life).....I can't help but call it like I see it.

Plus, as Aaron said (sup bro :D), Hasson&Wong have performed sessions of over 8,000 grafts -- all actual scalp hair mind you, not body hair! Not that H&W would even ever recommend 8,000 grafts for you, or think you needed that many to achieve a result you want.

I just see many issues here, dude....as to why you shouldn't be pouring your life (literally) into the procedure you're set for. :(

Re: the video you showed me, it does look fantastic for that guy. It's not exactly clear lighting, or clear shots, but he obviously had a ton of hair moved onto an extremely bald scalp, and he now has really amazing coverage.

Final things to take away from that video, and I'll leave things at that (at least in this thread):

*that surgery was mainly body hair grafts; it doesn't appear that dense, or that natural (and I'd expect more crisp, clear documentation would show that even more).

*that patient appears to have way more bald real estate to cover than you; which means needing to go for some 10,000 graft session of mostly body hair grafts is extremely puzzling, to me at least, when you could get legit density and unquestioned naturalness by way of scalp hair, in one session, by way of FUT.

*Aaron touches again upon a really good point: you don't seem to have a great handle on the difference between body hair grafts vs scalp hair, especially regarding naturalness and how your HT is actually going to look when all is said and done. This too can't be understated.

Finally, I can't ever overstate this: when I mentioned those two routes before, one route also has literally hundreds of crystal clear documentation to back it up, people you could see in the flesh, etc; that video you showed, while impressive in scope, doesn't bear any resemblance to what YOU yourself are going through with your MPB, nor does it's result, which I'd say to be the best you could expect in such a scenario, meet the expectations you seem to have, re: density and naturalness.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong? Honestly, maybe I am. Then please just see *in person* anyone who you know 100% has been treated in a fashion similar to you by Dr. Umar (one session, 10,000 graft FUE, with about the same breakdown of BodyHair to ScalpHair that you'll be receiving).

Do a consult with a world-class FUT clinic. See how many grafts they recommend. Then check out some High-Def video work and HD picture work for FUT that mirrors what the world-class FUT clinic recommended.

If the patient who received the BHT/FUE looks as good as the latter, you're choice is easy, and you'll be making a great one and did your due diligence in making such a huge, life-altering decision.

best luck, dude.

Edited by thanatopsis_awry

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Ryan, Have you had the chance to see a BHT result up close and in person? I know when you first started this thread you had not. I would also try and talk to as many BHT patients as possible.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hello Thanatopsis

I cannot thank you enough for such detailed explanations. I totally agree with you 100% !!

I will personally go see few people who had BHT/FUE done (there are on this site) so can see the results myself. I hope they will have the free time. will definitely keep you posted on what I think of BHT

Again I am not big fan of FUT only because of the scar, however you are right I will speak to some world class doctor about FUT.

Regards,

Ryan

• 1 month later...
Hello Thanatopsis

I cannot thank you enough for such detailed explanations. I totally agree with you 100% !!

I will personally go see few people who had BHT/FUE done (there are on this site) so can see the results myself. I hope they will have the free time. will definitely keep you posted on what I think of BHT

Again I am not big fan of FUT only because of the scar, however you are right I will speak to some world class doctor about FUT.

Regards,

Ryan

Ryan,

You are making a smart choice by going to Dr Umar. You've already done the research for yourself, thats obvious....

The H&W crew are always going to be here trying to convince you its the best thing in the world and that they have your "best interests in mind"... kinda like an overbearing parent - btw, none of these guys have an MD and none of them know you.

Fact is that if you have the following criteria you are a great Umar Candidate.

1. you have plenty of money

2. you prefer a short haircut (with H&W people will "see thru" your hair" if you are NW6 with normal laxity and only have 8k grafts in that nw6 pattern - if you like short hair the see through is even worse)

3. you don't want a big scar on the back of your head

4. you can also get off meds if you graft enough... i think propecia is dangerous and in 10 years when there is an epidemic of male breast cancer and sexual dysfunction people will recognize that (don't play with your hormones... people on oral contraceptives in the past never realized there were severe stroke, intracranial pressure, and hepatic adenoma risks; many drugs take a long time to build up their effect and individuals won't report it especially if the dysfunction is sexual in nature)

I just think you should do what you want. I sense you are trying to be "nice" to these guys because you are nervous about your procedure and want "support" but you gotta realize a lot of people on these forums aren't here to be your buddy, but just want to feel important.

You are a smart guy and I wish you luck in your HT and look forward to seeing you improve.

Oh and one last thing, never trust a hair transplant "consultant"... they are just a salesperson who will try anything to build credibility.

Edited by BuddyTheElf

Hello Thanatopsis

Regards,

Ryan

Good Luck Ryan,

Lots of us support you but can't really fight off the H&W crew. Its like they always have an agenda. I think Umar's patients look better, thats my opinion.

Just know that other ppl feel the same way you do and you don't need to impress anyone on the internet. Do whats right for you man :)

Ryan,

You've been provided with a great deal of valuable feedback already, so I won't get into all the pros and cons of FUT versus FUE versus BHT, etc. It looks like you've done your homework and have an overall understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of FUE/BHT. I did however, want to wish you luck in your upcoming hair transplant procedure.

In my opinion, Dr. Umar is world renowned with both FUE and BHT and I trust that he will do all he can to help you meet your hair restoration goals. I hope you'll share your photos and monthly progress with us so we can support you in your journey.

Best wishes,

Bill

Buddy,

Hasson and Wong and Dr. Umar take very different approaches to hair transplant surgery and thus, you really can't compare them. I do happen to feel that scalp hair should be depleted before considering the use of any body hair since growth cycles are faster (keeping more hair in the telogen phase and preventing hair from growing as long), growth yield is typically less than viable scalp hair and body hair "may" look unnatural, etc.

However, I also believe that body hair transplantation has a place in hair transplant surgery and I don't begrudge anyone for choosing this route as long as they have given informed consent and truly understand of all the advantages, disadvantages and potential risks that go along with it.

I like Dr. Umar's approach to body hair transplantaiton because he typically combines scalp and body hair, using body hair (in appropriate candidates) as "filler" to create the most natural looking and full appearance he can. I also believe Dr. Umar has the best intentions and wouldn't operate on anyone unless he felt they were truly a candidate for his unique FUE/BHT procedure.

His strong ethics, his dedication to state of the art FUE/BHT and his excellent results is why Dr. Umar has been approved for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network.

Best wishes,

Bill