New Growth: Wispy, Straggly, New Hairs.

corvettester

For those of you who have not had an HT, yet are wondering what the newly transplanted hair will look like when it first sprouts, I present to you these photos of some of my more unusual new growth.

These pics are by no means the majority of new growth. However, they do give you a good idea as to what to expect. This is what they mean when they refer to your new growth as "immature" hair.

The initial growth often times has to fight its way through the surface which causes it to initially come out crooked, straggly, wispy or curly. It will "mature" or normalize after a few months.

In my case, I have fine, straight, blonde hair. However, you will be surprised to see how some of my new growth is curly, wispy, brittle and dark. Plus, I wear my hair quite long so the first two inches of growth is pretty much worthless. I'm 10 months post-op and my new hair still hasn't caught up in length with the rest of my hair, but that is the price I pay for wearing my hair long... but on the bright side, the chics really dig it!

Again, these are some of the more extreme examples. I'd say about 10-15% about my new growth came out funny like the examples below and in my profile photo album. The rest were mostly just really thin, wispy or had a slight curve.

These pics were taken anywhere from 6-9 months post-op. For this reason, you will see that some of them are as much as 2" in length or more. For better quality photo examples, go to my profile photo album, Here.

Corvettester

IMG_4170.jpg.1390af2821e7a05fd2f81a9f048fbe4c.jpg

5b32cf10d1df0_IMG_44742.jpg.3cf2c690c7caa0e0c512a1c8503970da.jpg

IMG_4482.jpg.bd0e68c339df23588178a8872740c1c3.jpg

5b32cf110c892_IMG_44622.jpg.bdef35f3d9379266f6cb64fb0d62f38c.jpg

IMG_4504.jpg.0873fdb76a7270d8cc96e8f2fc867066.jpg

IMG_4519.jpg.fedad1f0ba19ff153a100b9c8be0261e.jpg

IMG_4527.jpg.e54b044f8330ea5bf45013f0532787bb.jpg

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Corv,

I sure hope that those hairs are transplanted hairs if you know what I mean. ;)

Good post. I would say that even 10 months post-op from your first transplant is early in terms of maturation of the hair. Mine kept on changing in texture even up to 18 months post-op.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I remember having that corkscrew effect on my transplanted hairs in the first year and worrying about it a bit. Before long they straightened out and I forgot all about it. Even the doc couldn't really explain it, but I think it's somewhat common.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

Hey Corvettester, welcome back!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

welcome back covettester,i dont post much on here but i always enjoyed reading your posts and im glad you are back and actively posting.i too had those wispy straggly hairs that looked like pubic hairs after both my transplants,more so after first one.but as time went by they just seemed to turn into my regular hair texture

Hey Vette,

Thanks for this post. This is one of those things I've read a lot about, but if they would have grown in on me like that I would have thought surely there was something wrong and I was the exception.

Thanks for sharing.

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Great topic...this is possibly the least talked about aspect/problem of a hair transplant,i am nearly 12 months post op and my hair is like the photos,will transplanted hair ever be 100% like native hair or will their always be a difference be it in coarsness,kinked,inability to grow completly straight etc..can any one who has had a hair transplant shower and go or is their a post shower routine so to call it?

Thanks for posting. This discussion and your pics are very helpful to anyone considering HT surgery.

I second mars' question...

I mean, assuming we've gone to a recommended "top doc," and our physiology cooperates for the most part, to what degree should we expect transplanted hair to resemble native hair when fully matured? Is it realistic to expect it to be virtually indistinguishable, or must we accept that there will always be a difference between the two, even under the best of circumstances? And, if so, what types of differences are considered "normal"?

Thanks.

Edited by zenmunk

I went to a top doc,my ht hair texture was like my native hair early on around the 4-5 month mark it was straight smooth and soft but around the 7-8 month mark it was completly different it became dry kinked and it wont grow straight..

I went to a top doc,my ht hair texture was like my native hair early on around the 4-5 month mark it was straight smooth and soft but around the 7-8 month mark it was completly different it became dry kinked and it wont grow straight..

That's very interesting, mars (and unfortunate, sorry to hear it). Normally, one would expect the opposite to occur. Have you discussed your situation with your doctor? Also, did you have FUT or FUE done?

It was fue,no never discussed with the doc,i dont see the point in doing so either as its something completly out of the docs control,it isnt all the hairs maybe a third of them are this way,with wax etc all looks good but shower and go is a def no go for me..

It was fue,no never discussed with the doc,i dont see the point in doing so either as its something completly out of the docs control,it isnt all the hairs maybe a third of them are this way,with wax etc all looks good but shower and go is a def no go for me..

I understand why you haven't discussed it with your doc. However, it might be helpful to know what he/she thinks is causing the problem. That knowledge could benefit you if you get further FUE procedures done, and that info. may help others contemplating FUE.

My worry about this had subsided, until the new post. Now I am curious as to what your doctor has to say about it, and/or to possibly hear others experience with this. Before that post, a few members had said that they straighten out and become back to their "normal" state after a year or so. Would like to hear again that that is the norm.

Good-luck Mars and zenmunk.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

Interesting thread. Thanks for posting it, Corvettester.

Mars,

I'm really sorry and concerned to hear about your problem. I would really like to know what your doctor thinks about the matter. It seems like something like this would essentially negate the benefits of an HT in the first place.

Please keep us updated because I believe that this is an important matter that concerns all of us.

Thats what happened to my hairline grafts in my previous surgery before Dr. Rahal repaired me. Some guys where asking whether the hair i implanted came from my pubic hair rather than the back of my head, It was si embarrassing, you cant even comb them well cause they will jump out. I asked my forum mate Jotronic about it and he benefited me that this happens with bad handling of the grafts which results to a kinky wiry hair.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

There seems to be a real division on the answer to this question. I hope possibly that Bill or Takingtheplunge might come across this and throw in their knowledge or opinion.

My Hair Loss Web Site

Thanks for the well-wishes, southbeacharchi. Good luck to you as well.

If mars' problem is the result of "bad handling of the grafts" as HARIRI implies may possibly be the case, then it may benefit all of us if we know who mars' surgeon is. Would you feel comfortable sharing that with us, mars?

HARIRI, what did Dr. Rahal do to repair your "kinky wiry hair"?

Thanks.

zenmunk my result is not from bad handling of grafts i went to a top doc so that is not a possibility i can asure you.

I have had bad grafts in my hairline from a previous surgery with a notorious greek chain clinic these were since punched out,these were bad grafts very unnatural so i know what mishandled and poorly implanted grafts look like..my grafts now look nothing like my previous grafts and are very natural but not exactly like my original hair yet in texture.Nobody would ever notice i had a ht.

I read previously that dr feller says the kinked hair phenomenon is from all the cells not active yet on the hair and it kinks on the weak points.It can take 18months for things to normalise.

As far as naming the doc i dont really see the point because i dont think their is anything any doc can do prevent kinked hair,coverstters photos are from dr dorin a top doc those grafts were not mishandled,see my point.

Edited by mars
add something else

Point taken, mars.

It would be interesting to see if others can confirm Dr. Feller's opinion via mars' recollection. Other learned theories are also welcomed. The more information we get about how transplanted hair grows in, the better.

Thanks.

Zenmunk imo this is the problem..everytime the skin is broke it leaves a scar,even a paper cut leaves a scar,every incision where a graft is planted will heal up as scar tissue,it may take time for vascularity to be sufficent for a hair completly mature in terms of characteristics texture etc..

Thanks for your theory, mars. OK, so we have three possible causes so far generally speaking (not necessarily specific to mars):

1. bad handling of grafts.

2. all the cells not active yet on the hair and it kinks on the weak points.

3. scarring in the recipient area.

Any other opinions?

Assuming the best scenario - great doc (great execution) & great physiology - I'd like to ask the questions again that I posted earlier in the thread with the hope that some HT vets and docs can chime in:

- To what degree should we expect transplanted hair to resemble native hair when fully matured, and how long until maturity?

- Is it realistic to expect it to be virtually indistinguishable, or must we accept that there will always be a difference between the two, even under the best of circumstances?

- And, if so, what types of differences are considered "normal"?

Thanks.

i have googled and researched endlessly....everything i have read says that this should correct itself eventually. Some places said 12-18 months, others said after a couple of hair "cycles."

by the way, my credentials....i have unofficially been given the title "google master" by several different people. :)

My Hair Loss Web Site

Assuming the best scenario - great doc (great execution) & great physiology - I'd like to ask the questions again that I posted earlier in the thread with the hope that some HT vets and docs can chime in:

- To what degree should we expect transplanted hair to resemble native hair when fully matured, and how long until maturity?

- Is it realistic to expect it to be virtually indistinguishable, or must we accept that there will always be a difference between the two, even under the best of circumstances?

- And, if so, what types of differences are considered "normal"?

Thanks for following up Zenmunk. I like your systematic approach. I hope some docs chime in.

As for my case, I will say that most of my hair has now started to straighten out and mature. I'm 11 months post-op from my first procedure and 1 month post-op from my second... so I'll have to wait another full year to give a definitive answer.

However, most of my worries have been put to rest. If things continue as is, I would say that transplanted hair should match native hair almost identically. I have a very discerning eye and high expectations and high standards so I will definitely keep you posted on my progress.

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Thanks for following up Zenmunk. I like your systematic approach. I hope some docs chime in.

As for my case, I will say that most of my hair has now started to straighten out and mature. I'm 11 months post-op from my first procedure and 1 month post-op from my second... so I'll have to wait another full year to give a definitive answer.

However, most of my worries have been put to rest. If things continue as is, I would say that transplanted hair should match native hair almost identically. I have a very discerning eye and high expectations and high standards so I will definitely keep you posted on my progress.

Corvettester

That's reassuring, Corvettester. I look forward to your input going forward regarding how your transplanted hair grows in. Thanks, and good luck!

HT vets and docs... please chime in here. It'll be helpful to get your perspective on this very important subject.

Thanks.