Dr. Keller/Chicago/Great 6 mo. post-op/2,875 FUT grafts utilized

The patient recieved 275 single hair FUT grafts, 300 double hair FUT grafts and approximately 2,300 multi-hair FUT grafts (approx. 8,925 hairs).

I've yet to see a breakdown quite like this, were these his natural follicular groupings? If not, can you describe in more detail what constitutes a multi-hair graft?

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

H1: 508

H2: 1741

H3: 1377

My Hairloss Website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2127

ahairdown, actually graft breakdowns like that are quite commonly presented here. Every HT doc keeps a specific count. Multis are 3s and 4s. This patient was very fortunate to have so many multis. In fact, I don't recall seeing someone with quite so many. Singles are paramount for the hairline and temple points, but beyond that zone multis are great as they provide better coverage. That's why it's not always best to get caught up in sheer graft count.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

hairthere, I understand natural groupings and the basic concepts regarding this subject. I had over 8100 hairs in 3626 grafts myself, and even one of the technicians made a comment that the donor was a lot better than what they typically see. That's around a 2.3 hairs per graft average.

I'm not buying into that this guy's natural follicular units are averaging almost four hairs per graft. Also went and looked at some of Dr Keller's other patient samples and they have very similar breakdowns.

Maybe I'm wrong here.... hope he returns and confirms one way or the other. If these aren't their natural groupings I'm not saying this is wrong by any means, but not what we typically see.

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

My Hairloss Website:

I believe doctors like Dr. Keller and Dr. Beehner use some multiple follicular units (putting 2 grafts in one incision). I don't know anyone on earth who would have nearly 9000 hairs with a true 2875 fu's.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Are these mini plugs? When I see "FU" or "FUT" I interpret this to be follicular unit, but it doesn't sound like that's what is going on here. What am I missing?

There aren't plugs. They are true follicular units, it's just that they insert two of them in each slit. It still looks natural but they usually use them well away from the hairline. It is good for density in the middle.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

RC, no offense but I'd really like to hear from the doctor on this.

I see no reason to double up anything, another slit could have been made for the additional hairs to keep them in their natural grouping.

Hopefully the doctor comes back to clarify.

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

My Hairloss Website:

I could be wrong but I believe these are DFU's (Double Follicular Units). They are quite common and I know SMG uses them quite a bit. Generally, the purpose of them is to spike up the density in the middle region. But maybe Dr. Keller is using a different method, I'm not sure. He'd have to answer that one.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Or maybe MFU (Multi-Follicular Unit) grafts.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks aaron, guess that makes sense. Why not take the time and seperate them and make two incisions close to each other instead of dumping them into one? Would really like a more detailed explanation from the doctor if he has the time, I've never heard of this and would like more information on it.

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

My Hairloss Website:

Hello Everyone. I took a couple of days off and just saw all the posts. Hairthere-great explaination on multi-hair graft counts. My patient had excellent density-lucky gentleman! Hair density varies greatly from person to person. I keep the natural follicular three and four hair units undivided and place them in the mid-scalp and crown regions to maximize density. I do not put 2 grafts in one receptor site. Thank you for your interest, and yes my patient is ecstatic with his 6 month post-op results.

Best regards,

Dr. Keller

Dr. Keller is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Thanks Dr. Keller. I've had 4 HTs and have spent a bit of time on the forums, so I'd like to think I know a thing or two by now. And, btw, this is a very nice result!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com