Revivogen ?

A B

Has anyone had luck with Revivogen? Considering adding it to my minoxidil, nioxin (just picked up the shampoo tonight) regimin.... but at $99 for a 3-month supply, and their somewhat hokey claim that it works better than Propecia.. has anyone had any personal experience?

Also, can I use it in conjunction with minoxidil ?

A

Has anyone had luck with Revivogen? Considering adding it to my minoxidil, nioxin (just picked up the shampoo tonight) regimin.... but at $99 for a 3-month supply, and their somewhat hokey claim that it works better than Propecia.. has anyone had any personal experience?

Also, can I use it in conjunction with minoxidil ?

A

As far as topical DHT blockers, Revivogen seems to be on track. Its use of copper peptides and fatty acids has a good bit of science behind it. A cheaper alternative would be Folligen. However, there is a problem with that I have heard of repeatedly. If one doesn't get the dosing and timing just right with the use of minoxidil, it can actually turn the scalp green.

Smoothy, I have never heard of the 5%. If that is true, it would be really interesting to see a study or something about it. Do you remember where you heard that?

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Robert- Sounds good... their claiming the product works BETTER than Propecia has me pretty skeptical, tho, admitedly.

Now, how would I go about finding out how to use Revivogen in addition to my established minoxidil routine?

A

I guinee'd it when it was under testing still. It was the most horrible smelling stuff!!

I couldn't stand the smell and quit using it. Then a bottle fell behind my night stand, and by the time I found it, it had eaten through the applicator, and goo'd up my hard wood floor.

I have no idea how long it sat there until it did that.

A B,

I would contact the customer service, and read the directions thoroughly. I am sure that they should have some kind of literature printed up and some suggested procedure for the use.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hi! I used Revivogen for about a year. The stuff didn't smell all that awful, but it was a pain trying to juggle that with the minoxodil. Did it work? That's the important question I suppose eh? Well, I used it for a year, and when I compared before pics to after 1 year pics, I had less hair in the later pics...so it didn't work for me. I am now trying minoxodil with Propecia...the only 2 FDA approved drugs. That combined with a HT, I am hoping to have more hair in a year...hopefully!

The Folligen is a great idea IMHO. I mix it 50-50 with distilled water and it has improved my scalp condition. You can buy the Folligen for blondes (it has tin peptides instead of copper peptides).

It's a clear solution and is supposedly almost as good as copper peptides.

Good luck, Bill, with the HT.

What worries me most about Revivogen (and, yes, admitedly, I just put in my order yesterday) is that, while Im going to follow the program, I cant help but feel that because of my vulnerability I got suckered. It wasnt approved by the FDA for hair loss? If it works, why not?

I started on Nioxin (shampoo, scalp therapy, and that foam stuff) which I feel really good about, it seems like some high quality stuff that isnt overt in it's promises.

Anyone PERSONALLY have any positive experiences with Revivogen ?

Thanks AB. I too would like to hear if anyone has had any success with revivogen. I just know that I personally did not have any luck with it and tried it for about a year. I liked the revivogen shampoo though. Washing twice with it gave a nice tingly feeling on the scalp, cooling it down. Nice stuff! Hair always was soft and healthy!

Bill

Bill- I just ordered myself a 3-month supply to start with (and Damn, is it expensive). Win, lose, or draw, I plan on sticking with it for at least 6-monthes and I will keep this thread active with how it works out for me throughout.

A

Here are a few emails I recieved from Revivogen, in regards to how to apply Revivogen while using Minoxidil, and why it hasnt been approved by the FDA:

Revivogen is applied once a night before bed.In the morning you wash and style as normal. You will not need to apply minoxidil twice a day (anymore) if you use Revivogen. Because there must be a 3 hour time span in between the two, some users report that applying Minoxidil when they first arrive home in the evening and then applying Revivogen just before bed works pretty well. This allows them to get the benefit of both products without styling problems because you are able to wash your hair in the morning.

Minoxidil is a growth stimulant. While it does not stop DHT from harming the hair follicle, it does stimulate the follicle and keeps it in the anagen (growth) phase. So Minoxidil will compliment Revivogen because they do two different jobs and they can work hand in hand. Minoxidil alone will fail in the long run because it does not have the ability to prevent hairloss by blocking DHT. It must be coupled with a DHT inhibitor to achieve and maintain success.

Revivogen is a stand alone product and it is not necessary to use with other products. However, (our success rate is 88%--we wish it were 100%) for some users, the best way to achieve individual results of success was by adding the growth stimulant to their regimen.

It needs at least three hours to properly absorb.

-----

Here is why they say it hasnt been approved:

Because Revivogen is an all natural product ( Revivogen contains no medicines, is not systemic and has no side effects) FDA approval is not required. We are the only non- FDA approved hair loss product endorsed by the AHLA. (please see attachment).

-- What do you all think of that? I dunno, all natural or not I feel that an FDA approval makes the product a LOT more legit.. wouldnt any product maker want it, natural or not ?

A B

The factor may just be cost. The bigwigs at Revivogen may feel that the benefits of and FDA-approval do not outweight the cost to obtain it (that or they are telling the tuth in the email).

I have heard good and bad about the product. Admittedly, though, most was good.

-Robert

Some more from the cust. service rep @ Revivogen... I asked about tossing in Nioxin tot he Revivogen / Minoxidil regimin... heres what they have to say:

I would not recommend taking their supplements. The shampoo is fine though. You can alternate with Revivogen shampoo.

Inhibits DHT Production:

Revivogen YES Inhibits Type 1 &2 5ar

Nioxin NO Supplement increases DHT production

Blocks DHT Attachment:

Revivogen YES

Nioxin NO

Activatev Hair Follicle Growth:

Revivogen YES

Nioxin NO

Safe For Both Men And Women:

Revivogen YES

Nioxin YES

Potential Side Effects:

Revivogen NO

Nioxin NO

--

Come on now, they say Nioxin supplement increases DHT? Now I really feel like a sucker tossing them my $100 so easily... Im still gonna use it faithfully, but am worried I wasted my money. I will keep this thread alive with my results, or lack there of.

Wow,

I cannot say that I have ever heard of Nioxin increasing DHT production.

I have emailed Revivogen on this subject matter. I asked them to provide any valid study to prove this claim. I will post their reply as soon as I recieve it.

-Robert

For anyone interested, here is the email that I originally sent to Revivogen:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I recently became aware of a response by a customer service person on the hair loss discussion forum that I moderate. The Hair Restoration Research Forum has thousands of members and gets read by hundreds of hair loss sufferers per day. Naturally, I make members aware of the different solutions that are available to them so they can hopefully find a solution to their affliction.

A recent discussion concerning your product was raised. While informative and inquisitive in nature, one member stated that they had emailed your customer service to learn more on utilizing Minoxidil and the shampoo Nioxin with your product.

He then posted the customer service response. I have pasted it below:

I would not recommend taking their supplements. The shampoo is fine though. You can alternate with Revivogen shampoo.

Inhibits DHT Production:

Revivogen YES Inhibits Type 1 &2 5ar

Nioxin NO Supplement increases DHT production

Blocks DHT Attachment:

Revivogen YES

Nioxin NO

Activatev Hair Follicle Growth:

Revivogen YES

Nioxin NO

Safe For Both Men And Women:

Revivogen YES

Nioxin YES

Potential Side Effects:

Revivogen NO

Nioxin NO

The part of the response that concerns me (and forum members) the most is the statement that Nioxin actually "increases DHT production."

Can you submit to me any valid studies that you have that may back up this claim? As you may expect, this is of great interest to our forums and its members.

Thank you in advance for your expedited reply,

Robert

Hair Restoration Advocate

Well, it has been almost a week with no reply from Revivogen so I decided to "remind" them that this question has gone unanswered. I sent this email today:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Last week I sent an email to this address concerning an issue of great interest to the readers of a hair loss forum that I moderate. I, as well as the members of this forum have been anxiously waiting for a response to the email. I am forwarding the original email along with this one in case that the original was misplaced. Again, your expeditious response would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Robert

I will keep everyone up to date when (and if) I get a response.

-Robert

I recieved a reply from Revivogen. As promised, I have pasted it below:

Dear Robert,

The statement about increase DHT production by Nioxin applies to their oral supplements which contains DHEA. As you know DHEA is precursor to Testosterone and is converted to Testosterone in the body. Increasing Testosterone levels leads to increase DHT production.

DHEA supplements are contraindicated for people with Androgenic Alopecia but Nioxin does not know this. Here the address on one website promoting Nioxin supplement containing DHEA http://www.hair-concepts.com/regiments.htm

Best Regards

Alan

This piqued my curiosity even further. The claim is to vague and too broad. It oversimplifies the conversion of DHEA into testosterone and thus into DHT. This is a very complicated biological process that is, to my understanding, not yet fully understood.

I replied once again:

Alan,

Thank you for your response.

However, to say that DHEA increases DHT production is a bit of an over generalized statement. Surely your company has some sort of study that details what amount of DHEA ingested into the body will convert to testosterone, and thus into DHT to support the claim. For instance, how much DHEA does the Nioxin supplement contain? How much DHEA must be absorbed by the body before it is converted to levels of testosterone that would, in turn, convert into harmful levels of DHT?

Your answers to these questions and scientific data to support those answers would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

I will keep this thread posted.

-Robert

I recieved a reply back from Revivogen on this issue:

Dear Robert,

Our statement is a general statement. DHEA, or Testosterone supplementation serves no benefit for someone suffering from hair loss. Any amount of DHEA ingestion leads to Testosterone production and eventually DHT . If someone is suffering from Androgenic Alopecia the last thing they need is anything that can increase DHT even if the increase is very little.

As for scientific studies you can search the Medline. You will find overwhelming evidence that DHEA increases Testosterone and DHT levels. We don't keep track of how much DHEA is in the Nioxin Supplements and how much DHT it can produce but the point is any amount of DHEA should be avoided by those suffering from Androgenic Alopecia.

Best Regards

Alan

Draw your own conclusions.

-Robert

Thanks for the time and effort, Robert.

But if we may go back to square one... What good have you heard from people who actually were sucessful with Revivogen?

I cant help but feel the money I put toward Revivogen would have been more useful toward a lasercomb... The stuff is so freakin expensive!

So what have you heard, aside from stuff on the site, from real people, about Revivogen ?

(PS: Where does your guy, Dr. Shapiro, practice out of ?)

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for your research and time Robert. I have a problem with company's making broad claims that could be false. It seems like more of a marketing tool than actual research and proof!

So far I think I'm the only one to post here that I have used Revivogen...and if it is suppose to work for 88%, then darn, I'm one of the 12 lowly percent that it didn't work for! In one years time, I lost significant amounts of hair, and I did use both minoxodil and revivogen faithfully as directed. Sorry for the disappointment...maybe you'll be different...however...I do like their shampoo, not because it stopped hairloss, but using it made my head and hair feel great!

Bill

The thing about Revivogen is, that the science really backs the product up. It really should work well as a topical DHT-inhibitor. I have heard of success stories, but nothing really overwhelming. However, if you think about it, the price really isnt all that bad - about $30 a month. If it works, thats nothing at all, really.

By the way, Dr. Shapiro didnt perform my hair transplant procedure. Dr. Cooley did.

-Robert

Hiya Robert,

Well, if Revivogen works for some, that's awesome. It just didn't work for me. I'd still be interested to hear from someoe on this board who has had a good experience with it. Yes, $30 a month isn't bad, but truthfully, spending an extra $20 a month gets me Propecia, which is now what I am using to see if that works. Maybe I'm just one of the lower percentiles where nothing but HT works. Oh well! Unlucky me I guess!

Bill

I hear ya, Bill. I don't personally use Revivogen - I don't think I need it. I have started using American Crew's line of Copper Peptide shampoo's and conditioners for dry hair and I like that pretty good. Topical DHT inhibition sounds good - like I said, it looks good on paper but I just have not seen enough conclusive evidence that it works.

-Robert