Dr. Paul Shapiro: 4400 FUT Grafts, 14 Days Post Op

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 4400 FUT grafts on 28 year old Norwood type 4. 14 Days Post Op with hair cut short.

This 28 year male came by for his suture removal 2 weeks post op. His native hair was buzz cut so all the hair you see on the top of the scalp and hairline is transplanted hair. A lot of patients want to know what they will look like after the surgery. Like this patient, most patients redness and scabbing is gone by 2 weeks. As you can see, with a good haircut, it is difficult to tell that he had a hair transplant. Most likely all the transplanted hair will shed in a month, but his native hair should grow about ? to ? inch a month.

His graft count was as follows:

· 1 hair - 1113

· 2 hair – 2484

· 3 hair – 756

· 4 hair – 47

· Total grafts – 4400

· Total hairs – 8564

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Slide6.jpg

He's a lucky guy. He seems to have a fair, pale complexion like me but doesn't have any residual redness. Can't wait to see his results in a few months!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Very nice work.

Dr. Shapiro - Can you tell me why you opted to go back into the crown? I ask because I hear of some docs not wanting to touch the crown until a patient is much older and more progressed. This patient is a NW4 at 28 but theoretically, his crown could open up much further.

Thanks in advance.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Cant Decide:

There is no set rule whether to put hair in the crown or not. What is important is that we take in future hair loss into consideration so that if the patient progresses there is enough donor to make the hair transplant look natural.

In this case the patient did not want his hairline very low and was happy with a mature frontal-temporal angle. I kept the front of his hairline high at 9 cm above the glabella and his frontal temporal angles mature. In these patients I will shrink the crown, but not completely cover it. It is usually safe to put hair at the top of the crown. Also the hair in the top of the crown is at a lesser density of around 25 to 30 FU/sq.cm to give it some coverage, but not very dense. In the photograph of his crown I have drawn in green the potential future crown hair loss and in red how far down I would go in his case. So if he becomes a Norwood type 6 or 7 he will still have some crown showing.

I hope this answers your question.

BCrown.jpg.98f4aa0fd80995e8f6b91a462b8e7c07.jpg

Dr. Shapiro - If you would not mind, I have one more question. Is it advisable to transplant the crown laterals at a denser rate while leaving the center top of the crown at 25? When I refer to "laterals", I mean the left and right side of the crown between the red and greem marks on the pic you posted. For me, I would want the laterals to be as dense as possible thus locking up the side profiles and conceed the center top as thinner since the only way to view that would be from the back or with the head down. Is this rational sound?

Thanks in advance

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Cant Decide:

I understand what you are saying and I do think it is importatn to give these areas good density. They usually are not as dense as the central core area, but should be dense enough to block light and frame the face. What density I plant there can really vary by case. But you are correctr in saying thi is an important area to frame head. That is why I make a circle in the crown with those side angles down lower. I hope this makes sens

Dr. Paul