Getting a little nervous...

fratboy91

I am 20 years old and am worrying that i may be starting to lose my hair... This makes me nervous because i am a good looking kid with a very pretty girlfriend and am way too young to start this. it would be devastating. I have recently started growing my hair out since last january. It is now late july and my hair is very long all over... front back sides... so it wouldnt appear based on the growth of my hair all over that i would be losing. while doing my hair or washing in the shower i do sometimes see a few hairs on my hand or in my sink which seems to be normal... its never more than 4 or 5 at a time. i read another test is to tug hard on a patch of hair and see how many come out... 2-4 at most from any area. my real concern is the top of my head. a few years ago i stood up in the locker room at the gym and hit the top of my head on a corner of a locker. could this have stunted my hair growth? a few years back my mom had told me she had seen a bald spot on the top of my head but we werent sure what to make of it. now i am getting nervous. like i said my hair is long all over... so i dont think its receding. it falls straight down on my forehead for the most part and the sides near my temple. so it wouldnt appear my hairline is receeding. it keeps growing and all my hair is thick. now at the top of my head is my worry. i take countless pictures and each one looks different so i cant tell if its an illusion of light, me being paranoid, something normal based on me hitting the top of my head, or something to worry about. my hair is also thick everywhere but around that spot. can anyone offer their 2 cents? thanks a lot.

also i forgot to mention in my car, my pillows, my shirts, etc. i never see more than a few hairs hairs laying around that are probably a result of me playing with my hair or fixing it. so i am really not sure if i should be worried or if its just me being overly paranoid.

my dad and my grandpa are bald. my mom was adopted so we dont know about her. like i said in some pics it looks horrible and in some it looks totally normal... icant upload pics right now but the problem is ONLY on the top of my head... the rest of my long hair is all thick... my front is down to my eyes so i doubt its receeding.

Sorry to say,if you think you are going bald, you probably are. But that is not always the case. Hard to tell without pics, but if your dad is, from the start your prolly have about a 50/50 chance.

Shedding hairs is not a great way to determine loss in my opinion as I have been a heavy shedder ever since I can remember, even as a young child, and only started having noticable loss at about 30.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree, if you think you're going bald then its probably true especially since you can see the density difference between top and sides. Post some pics when you get a chance.

Depending on how bad your loss is and if you respond well to meds, you might be able to slow down or stop the process.

"my dad and my grandpa are bald"

Sorry to say, but this indicates you will likely go bald as well. Your pictures show some definite thinning in the crown It is impossible to tell how advanced it will be at this stage though. I would highly recommend you get on finasteride asap. This should halt the thinning and perhaps help you re-grow some hair. In the meantime it's good to research HTs, but try not to obsess because you are far too young to consider one, especially with your current level of loss.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I have to agree with hairthere. You definitely look like your thinning. Just because you can grow your hair long in the front doesn't mean it's not receding. Pull your hair back in the front and take some pictures and post them, you'll get better feedback on your hairline. As for your crown, it certainly appears to be thinning. Finasteride is a drug, pill, that inhibits testosterone from converting to DHT. DHT is what causes hairloss in people who are genetically programmed to be bald or balding. It's an excellent preventative. Rogaine foam can be used with finasteride. Also, look at getting some nizoral shampoo. In the hairloss world, these are know as " the big three "

Good luck

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Finasteride is prescription. Nizoral 1% is OTC , 2% is prescription. You only need to use the shampoo a couple of times a week. Go to your dermatologist and get a prescription, or even better, if you are close to one of the doctors recommended on this site, make the drive and have your hair loss evaluated by a true professional. They can also help you with the meds you need to take

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

The only step you can take to prevent further hair loss and maybe regrow has already been suggested to you. Tell your doc to give you a prescription for proscar (generic finasteride). It is much cheaper than the name brand (propecia) but you will have to cut it into quarters. I'd get on it asap....

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I am going on thursday to my demo. Going to get the shampoo and rogaine tonight... I think im still early enough in the process that i caught it and can fix/reverse it... i care about my appearence so dedication isnt an issue. as far as proscar vs name brand, is one better than the other? money isnt really an issue so i'd like to get whats best. thanks for all the help... i hope this works in my favor.

Proscar is the name brand, but if you get the generic version, it will just be cheaper. The generic version is fine. Most people on here, if not everyone, takes the generic version. What hairthere was stating is if you get generic Proscar(5mg) you can cut the pill in 1/4 which will give you the recommended dose! I think you are off to a great start.

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Yes, Propecia is the name brand for Fin, Proscar is the generic. Quarter the pill and you get the right dosage. If money isn't an issue and you find quartering the pills a hassle then go with the name brand. Best of luck!

I hate to say it but your crown/vertex is definitely thinning. It looks as if you have been losing for quite some time. I'm surprised you didn't notice it earlier. BUT, you are very young and I think Finasteride, Minoxidil, and maybe Nizoral shampoo would halt and maybe regrow some.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 2 weeks later...

It is not your imagination you are in the early stages of thinning in your crown. Since most of us usually have a lot of hair in our teens and 20'S we do not even notice early stages of thininning until we have lost about 20% of our density. I would recommend you go see your dermatologist and get started on Propecia. You have a very good change that it will not thin out anymore. It is by far the most effect non surgical treatment today that is approved for genetic hair loss. If you go on it make sure you give it time to work and don't expect it to grow back your hair, go into with the expectation of keeping what you have.

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

Frat,

Based upon familial history and the pictures you have submitted.......active hair loss is going on.

This post is not going to offer any new revelations that many of the other learned members of this site have not already recommended.

I was there (right where you're sitting) and I understand the devastating psychological effect of being a young man faced with the expression of the genetics we inherited. I know the feeling of wet hair in the gym locker room, bright sunlight, who is sitting behind me and pressing my head against a bench press and what it will do to my carefully placed hair after I get up.

The great news is that there are modern medical measures that can be taken to address this problem. The fellas have discussed finasteride and minoxidil already. I suggest you go visit a hair transplant physician for an evaluation only! Get a miniaturization study performed. Have your donor density checked and this may give you a bit more information about your present status and possible prognosis for future hair loss.

Also wearing long hair (long hair is heavier) causes hair to create more separation and parting in certain regions of your scalp.

So frat, do what you can conservatively and rest assurred that a front line hair restoration physician can really help you out down the road should it remain a great concern.

Best of Health

"Opinions and expressions are solely my own!"