Hair transplant NW2

Hello all.

This forum seems to be the best place to ask questions. I have a question about a hair transplant.

i am 25 years old and considering a ht. After doing some reasearch it appears it is advised against getting a ht at such a young age because furthur loss is unperdictable. But i want to see what you think.

History

I've always had a high hairline so the little bit of recession i have makes it looks worse, if my hairline was lower i would not be considering a ht. I had a widows peak since i was younger.

The hair at the conners has always been thinner than the centre of the hairline and the hair colour is lighter.

I'm on finasteride since 2009 and have not noticed any improvemt or seen any regrowth. I also use Nizoral 4-5 times weeky.

If i was to get a ht i would be getting the FUE method because i have my hair short at the back.

I am considering waiting until i am 27 to get the ht so i can monitor the situation better.

Attached are some pictures from last year to date.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

july last year

file.php?id=5845&mode=view

file.php?id=5844&mode=view

file.php?id=5843&mode=view

file.php?id=5842&mode=view

file.php?id=5841&mode=view

March this year

imag0048xc.jpg

imag0050a.jpg

imag0052ek.jpg

imag0054w.jpg

imag0056ts.jpg

imag0063g.jpg

imag00662.jpg

Just took these pictures today.

imag0194xs.th.jpg

imag0192c.th.jpg

imag0191y.th.jpg

imag0189vo.th.jpg

imag0188m.th.jpg

imag0187in.th.jpg

imag0186h.th.jpg

imag0185n.th.jpg

imag01842.th.jpg

I know my situation might not look too bad but for me it is because of my high hairline the slight recession make it look so much worse.

Let me know what you think

Thank you

Tom

Edited by tom20

imo you are no where near in need of a transplant. It looks like you have very little if any hair loss. There isn't a reputable doctor anywhere that I would think would operate on you. Pictures sometimes can be deceiving so maybe it is worse. But I think if you are experiencing hair loss you have done the best thing at this stage by getting on propecia. Stay on that and try and keep all the hair you have. You could also add minoxidill. I also think you are using the nizoral a bit too much. It is usually recommended to use it only once or twice a week. I think your idea is right on the money with waiting. You should defiantly wait a few years, stay on propecia and see how things progress. If you are really worried find a reputable recommended doctor on this site and go see them for their opinion. Best of Luck!!

thank you for reply.

Yes the pictures make my hair look better, i think it could be the angle, but there is recession at the conrers,but not much. I've been reading about a "mature hairline"i dont know if thats what i have but some people say thats the start of the MPB process so who knows. I find everytime i have to fix my hair, i.e in the morning i am always trying to to cover up the conrers.

I have been thinking about mixox, will it make my situation better or worse? i dont know if its a good idea to use it or not.

I was thinking about getting around 700 graphs put in the corners of the hairline and hopefully it will not progress any furthur or maybe at a slow rate. (wishful thinking maybe)

Thanks

I think your hair looks great! I would stay on the finasteride and try to wait a little longer. When you turn 30'or so and if it still bothers you, maybe have something done then. I'll bet if you wait for a while, you'll wind up not having anything done because your hair looks great! Definitely don't jump into anything!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

When your hair is dry it doesn't look like any hairloss is visible at all.

The recession being as minor as it is, if you're lucky, Minoxidil could regrow some of what you've lost.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks again for replys.

My hair looks good from the top, but from the front and sides it looks bad because of my high hairline. When I see pictures it looks bad.

I think i might give minoxild a go. I've read that it is not as effective on the hairline as the crown/vertex so this was putting me off. Do you think that if I started minoxidl and used it for 6 months then stopped that it could make my situation worse?

Thanks

I agree with all of the advice. Your hair looks great. Whatever loss you have is minimal. Keep taking propecia avnd try adding minox to the mix. You would be better off waiting a few years before even considering surgery in my opinion.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Your hairline doesn't look so high that it would be seen in a negative way by other people.

If you use Minoxidil, have success with it and then stop, you will almost certainly lose any hair you do regrow with it.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

All you need is a daily dose of Finasteride and twice a day of Minoxidil. Your hair loss is basically non existent appearing to me. Maybe very very minor at the corners of your hairline, but no surgeon on here would touch you.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I agree with all of the advice. Your hair looks great. Whatever loss you have is minimal. Keep taking propecia avnd try adding minox to the mix. You would be better off waiting a few years before even considering surgery in my opinion.

In theory, if you are not losing any hair, it will not make it worse. However, if you have any regrowth I'm sure you know you have to continue applying minoxidil.

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

I dont see any loss. If you were 45 and your corners bothered you, a doc might work on you, but at 25, ther is not reputable doc that would work on you. Give it at least another 5 years and come back to it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

What an excellent forum, so many replies.

All the adivce seems to be the same so you cant all be worng haha. I think i will take the advice and wait.

After all these comments i think i will add minox to my regime, so i have a couple of questions you might be able to help me with:

Which brand, should i stick to Rogine?

Liquid or foam?

And should i add anything else to the mix to help absorption?

Do you think i can regrow much of the temple area with twice a day application with 5%?

I understand that most of the answers to my questions i will have to find out for myself by trying different things, but would like to know what you think.

Thanks Again

Tom

Yeah seriously I would kill someone to have your hair. Shoot I would've killed someone to have your hair when I was 18. I prefer the Rogaine foam; I can't stand the liquid makes my hair disgusting. Try them out and see what you like. Some use foam in the morning and liquid at night to keep cost down. No one can tell you with certainty if you'll regrow anything as everyone is different. Good luck!!

Tom,

Like others have stated, I do not believe you would be a candidate for surgical hair restoration at this time. Frankly, it simply doesn't look like you've experienced enough hair loss and I don't think an ethical hair transplant surgeon would see the need to essentially lower your hairline at such a young age.

However, having said that, starting finasteride and Nizoral very early in your hypothetical hair loss journey was a very good decision. Because you've essentially stabilized and halted any real loss, a hair transplant down the road if you're still unsatisfied with your hairline may be an option (though this would depend on a number of variables and the surgeon's opinion).

Thank you for sharing your story!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Yep, your hair is fine but it's good that you're prepared to take pre-emptive measures to look after your hairline. I think your hairline has just matured slightly and you've become alarmed by the change - this is not the same thing as MPB, so no need to stress.

I don't think minoxidil is in any way appropriate for you at this stage as it is for hairloss and thinning at the top of the head and crown. It's not great for recession and any hair you gain will need to be treated with minoxidil for the rest of your life to retain it.

Finasteride is probably the best option, if any. This will help to ensure that you keep your existing hair without the need to keep slapping on daily solutions. However, since you are still young and your hairloss practically non-existent, it would probably be worth sticking to a low dose (e.g. 0.5mg per day) unless you notice further hair loss.

Thanks again for replies.

I've been doing some research on Minoxidil, I am thinking about trying the Kirkland brand because it seem to be the same as Rogaine but cheaper.

I dont mind having to use this twice a day if i get some regorwth, and if i dont i can just stop without making my hairline worse right?

Hopefully it will thicken the corners, I will not need to use it in the middle (forelock) becaust there is no sign of MPB here so hopefully just at the corners will help. No harm in trying it for a year.

I took a few more pictures of my hairline because the other pictures are taken from above, these pictures are taken from below with the head slightly tilted back and fringe flicked up a small bit. If i could regrow even a small bit in the corners with minox i would be happy (for a while haha)

Edit: one more quesiton, someone mentioned i was using Nizoral too oftern 4-5 times a week letting it set for 5 mins, how much Niz would you reccommend to use weekly?

Thanks

imag0198l.jpg

imag0199o.jpg

imag0197q.jpg

Thanks Again

Tom

Edited by tom20

No harm in trying Rogaine or Kirklands for a year and stopping as I really don't think you are losing your hair. If you were losing your hair you might experience a shed once stopping but I don't think you are. Good luck!

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website