Exciting Development

I went for my fourth procedure with Dr. Ron Shapiro on July 1st to correct the first two procedures I had with another doctor that provided poor results. I had a total of 1191 grafts which consisted of 447 one hair, 580 two hair, 150 three hair and 14 four hair giving a total hair count of 2113. Once again, Dr. Shapiro and everyone in his office went so far above and beyond the call of duty to pay such amazing detail to the task at hand but at the same time made me feel comfortable and welcome. It was almost like a spa experience! I have achieved good results from Dr. Shapiro’s last procedure and this last one was to thicken it up a bit for more density. He believes I have about 1000 grafts left through an FUE procedure.

While in Minneapolis I met with Carter at “Good Look Ink”, a company that offers cosmetic transdermal hair replication (CTHR). I mistakenly called it tattooing which I was corrected on, it bears vast differences from tattooing although to the layman that is what it appears to be. I had a lot of questions and most were answered satisfactorily and one they are going to research and get back with me on. I saw photographs of clients some who had hair transplants to thicken the appearance of density and some didn’t. Carter had the procedure done so I was able to view his results first hand and I must say I was impressed. This may be the magic bullet for guys who have had a transplant but need just a bit more density but may have exhausted their graft supply.

The goal is to return to Minneapolis in one year and have the procedure done with Good Look Ink and then go to Dr. Shapiro for one final pass along the hairline to strengthen it. The only area through this entire ordeal I’ve not addressed is my crown. I have a bald spot about the size of a baseball. Up until now my plan was to wear a crown hair piece however, Carter at Good Look Ink suggested I have the CTHR done on the crown as well and have Dr. Shapiro place some grafts there for the look and feel of real hair combined with the CTHR. This would allow me to not have to go the crown hair piece route which sounds very appealing if it will indeed work. I would really like to hear other’s opinion or comments on this or anyone who has had the CTHR process. If you contact Dr. Shapiro or Carter at Good Look Ink please let them know that Larry in Orlando made you aware of them. Thanks guys.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Congrats Time To Do Something! I'd love to see some pics. Hope this one grows well for you.

That's cool you visited Good Look Ink. Dr. Paul actually suggested I visit the place if I was ever looking into doing ink (which I'm not now but who knows about the future). I checked out the website and all. But if you go through with GLI, how long after the inking gets done would you get the FUE into the crown? A couple weeks? Next day? Will Dr. Ron go with you to GLI to monitor the job? Just curious.

We were probably both at SMG on July 1st. I was getting my second wash done! ;) Good luck to you. Happy healing!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hi Guys,

Here's a recent Hair Loss Q & A blog post where Dr. Ron Shapiro shares his opinion on the scalp micropigmentation process: Hair Loss Experts Share Opinions on Scalp Micropigmentation. In the article, Dr. Shapiro provides a good summary of the pros, cons, and limitations of the procedure.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake,

Great link.

Dr Ron (or staff),

Excellent article!

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for your replies! Aaron1234-I need research how long I’d need to wait between the inking and FUE. That would be ideal if Dr. Shapiro went with me to monitor the job. Sorry I missed you at Dr. Shapiro’s office! Future_HT_Doc-Thanks for the great link! I asked Good Look Ink several questions and they were able to satisfactorily answer all but one. I think I may have found a weak link to their process and they can’t answer the question. I admit I’ve seen their product first hand and it does look good but I want to cover all of my bases before making a life changing decision like this especially after the unfortunate experience I had with my first two hair transplants in Miami.

It is probably a non issue but I asked them if for some unforeseen reason I need to have the tattooing removed can it be done. They said it could with a laser. Since lasers are used in hair removal I asked if it was a laser that wouldn’t kill the hair follicle. They could not answer that. They said that their process has been successfully removed from a small area on someone’s head. Since I’d been waiting for two months for them to answer this question I asked them if they would simply provide me with the name of the person or company that removed the tattooing so I could ask them if the laser they used was safe for hair follicles and what the price would be to remove it. They never provided me with that information. I can only guess they are avoiding answering my question at this point. My question may have been answered by Dr. Cam Simmons here on the forum. He says “Usually, micropigmentation is tattooing and should be thought of as permanent. Laser tattoo removal isn’t perfect”.

I have found four companies online that provide this service. They are in Florida, Minnesota, New Jersey, and California. The one in California is very appealing because it is done by a doctor, Dr. Rassman. I think I’d feel more comfortable in the environment of a medical facility with this procedure. It would probably be ok at a facility like Good Look Ink if Dr. Shapiro was there overseeing it.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Well, I'm very interested to see how this works out for you, so please keep us posted!

Did you ask about the ink changing color or blurring overtime? What was their answer to that?

I agree that I'd prefer doing it with a M.D. (like Dr. Rassman at NHI), but if Dr. Shapiro was there to oversee it that would make a lot more comfortable if it was me.

Good luck growing my friend!

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

It will probably be 12 months before I have to procedure done. I did ask about the ink fading. I can't remember the exact answer they gave but I do remember it was adequate enough not to be a concern for me. I think they said they use a type of ink that doesn't fade and that if sunscreen and a hat is used when out in the sun for extended periods of time fading should not be an issue under normal conditions. What I saw first hand looked good but I didn't like the fact they were trying to sell the procedure before all of my concerns were addressed. That was concerning. I think the process is evolving and it may be perfected more within a year. One thing I would not do is a severe straight hairline. That looks fake. I'd want a hairline that gradually faded out. Anyone out there who has had this done or researched the process please chime in. Thanks

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

What I saw first hand looked good but I didn't like the fact they were trying to sell the procedure before all of my concerns were addressed. That was concerning.

Yeah, from the research I did on them it looked like an all out media blitz. It'd be better to just let the work stand on it's own merit. I'd definitely consult with Dr. Rassman on it as well, and let GLI know they have competition.

One thing I would not do is a severe straight hairline. That looks fake. I'd want a hairline that gradually faded out.

Totally agree. Like Dr. Ron said, fade the hairline back at least a centimeter behind the natural hair.

I really do think this inking thing has promise if done right. Unfortunately, we don't really have a lot to go on yet. I really hope that more docs like Dr. Rassman, Dr. Shapiro, and others do some in depth studies on the long last effects of this technique. That's why posters like you Time To Do Something are important! ;)

Can anyone answer how long this procedure has been around? I'd be intrested to see/hear how people who had this done several years ago (if it was available then) look and feel about it now. My stylist said last night that one of her clients talked with her about it at least five years ago.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

• 7 months later...

I found the answer to the question I just posted here in my previous post. The doctor is Dr. Rassman. If anyone knows of other doctors offering hair tattooing please let me know. Thanks

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts