Can I get shock loss after a week on my donor scar

here's some pics.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting this is 3 days post-op. seems fine

Imageshack - dsc00453qj.jpg Imageshack - dsc00460g.jpg these two pics are 6 days post op.

Imageshack - dsc00529im.jpg Imageshack - dsc00523il.jpg last two pics are today - 9 days post op.

seems early for shock loss but it must be.

i originally thought it was a bit of unevenness from shaving around the site and maybe from wearing a cap too. on the 6th night (think it was the night after 'day 6' photos are taken) i woke up after scratching it on the area where the hair is lost. could this have done anything. i'm pretty sure the patch was there before that night though.

with shock loss does the whole hair go and it needs to grow again from the root? so it'll take 3-4 months to get to the surface? or does will it start growing from my skin now? hopefully a few weeks growth and dermmatch will do the trick. when would dermmatch be ok for this area?

Yes, it's probably shock loss and maybe a little from the shaving before the donor excision. Don't worry, it'll come back. Dermmatch would be great... just wait until you get the staples/sutures removed before you start applying concealer to the donor area.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Yes, it's probably shock loss and maybe a little from the shaving before the donor excision. Don't worry, it'll come back. Dermmatch would be great... just wait until you get the staples/sutures removed before you start applying concealer to the donor area.

So it is okay to use a concealer when the sutures or staples are out? That's my biggest fear, not the shave, not the transplant, not the recovery, it's the dreaded shockloss!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Yeah, maybe give it a couple days to let the wounds from the sutures, staples heal. Here's a link to a thread I made a couple years ago with pics of me using dermmatch on my donor scar area. I'll probably be doing to the same thing again in a couple weeks when my staples are out.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/136508-concealer-donor-w-pics.html

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Yeah, maybe give it a couple days to let the wounds from the sutures, staples heal. Here's a link to a thread I made a couple years ago with pics of me using dermmatch on my donor scar area. I'll probably be doing to the same thing again in a couple weeks when my staples are out.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/136508-concealer-donor-w-pics.html

Aaron, your hair looks great man.

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Thanks Newhair... tho it's shaved now. I'm popping those MSM pills! :)

logo,

Yes I have seen shockloss in and around the donor scar although it is not common. It is even more uncommon when the loss permeates through the donor zone and down into the nape area. It appears that you have considerable thinning through those areas.

Did your doctor speak to you about a condition known as retro-alopecia? That is thinning from the neckline up into the occipital zone where the strip is typically harvested. IMHO, it appears that may be the case for you. Whenever there is hair that is diffusing, that hair is more susceptible to shockloss, including shock from trauma.

Whenever hair sheds, it begins new growth from the follicle. That typically takes 3-4 months to manifest.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Yes, when they took out the stitches 5 days after the operation he mentioned that I should put rogaine on this area. As far as I remember my hair has always been kinda fluffy at the back whenever I let it grow for a few weeks. I think it has been like that long before I noticed any hair loss. I thought reterograde alopecia did not commonly occur until NW6/7 but I suppose hairloss does not always stick strictly to the scale. I'll try to dig out a few pictures of the back of my head before I started losing hair to compare.

It's true that retrograde alopecia is not restricted to NW6/7 patterns. I think I also have a little retrograde alopecia going on. Just another reason to stick with the Fin. And also another reason why using nape hair for transplants is controversial.

You may it have but it doesn't look bad. Your shock loss will come back.

My friend's grandpa died a few years back in his late 80's and he was a solid NW 2, yet his neckline had what I know now to be retorgrade alopecia. It was the only time I've ever seen that on a person who otherwise had no MPB. The weird part is that my friend's dad, the grandfather's son, is a full blown NW 7, and he too is experiencing hair loss from the neck up. Must run in families and it must be independent from traditional MPB.

Interesting anecdote there TC17. I wonder if the nape loss is caused by DHT like with traditional MPB. If so, you'd think Propecia could help against that as well.

Hey just to add guys i have moderate retrogradge alopecia that dr hasson spotted 3 months ago i have been treating it with minoxidil and it's working beautifully! Oh i'm also a nw5a and apparently it can happen to a nw2 or 3 so it's just life i suppose.

Also yes that is shockloss and it can happen at day 9 as i had it then. It made about a cm below my scar completely bald but did not spread down into my nape hair. Looking at your pictures i can't tell for sure but it looks like the thining in the bottom nape hair was there before but your before day 9 pictures don't show that far down your neck so it looks like your day 9 picture is revealing something new imo your shockloss is actually just at the scar like mine was but yours is not as bad as mine. I'm at 3 1/2 months the shockloss is still quite bad but i can see hairs growing in some places.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Yes thanks mate it works great as i've never used minox there before.

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I have also noticed i have developed this retrograde alopecia since my first HT in 05 :(

As if we havent got enough problems going on top!

Does Minox really help if applied in the neck area?

Also buzzed my hair no 8 last night(1 inch) thinking i would be safe,but no i have shockloss at donor site too(3 weeks +)

Oh well cap stays on for a couple more weeks.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

I don't know about the back of the neck as i don't have it there but above the ears i noticed little blonde hairs growing after a month of minoxidil and now i still have some blondes if you look close but it looks better in general. The change right now probably wouldn't look that amazing in pictures if i'd have taken any but what i can say is it really bothered me when i first noticed it 3 months ago but now it doesn't at all.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I have the same kind of hair above my ears as well and I think I have always had this. I looked at pics from 4 years ago before I started noticing my hair loss and the side of my hair above my ears looks kinda fuzzy, curlier and weak. Maybe I started reterograde alopecia before I started losing anywhere else but as far as I remember it has always gotten fuzzy and curly on back and sides whenever I've grown it. I think it was like this in my teens. Hard to tell if it was as bad though. I'll see if rogaine makes a difference there anyway.

yeah,Im thin at the lower sides aswell,think Ryan Giggs.

Luckily I'm going really grey there so it sort of blends the thicker/thinner hair together.

Will give the Min a try.....Probably easier to fill a bucket and just dunk my head in every morning :rolleyes:

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Yeah, I like this Rogaine on the nape idea... though I tried it on my head and my skin reacted badly to it. %&@!

Retro-alopecia can occur with both men and women and can happen irrespective of hairloss class.

And i agree aaron, IMHO nape hair is controversial to use as donor and should not be considered as terminal hair.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Since my last post my retrograde has improved further I'm thinking at this rate it could be perfect in a few more weeks. I shaved my hair to blade 1 at the sides every week before my Ht 4 months ago so didn't realise how bad my retrograde was but I have a photo from 4 years ago before my first Ht which shows it looking really bad ironicly i never noticed it then. when I update my blog next week I will post that picture and a picture of now from minoxidil use only to show the comparison.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Sweet. Looking forward to seeing your next blog post bonker. Who knows... maybe after a few more weeks I'll give the foam another try.. 1x a day perhaps? I don't know... my skin didn't do so well with it last time and I don't want to get a reaction when I'm hoping new grafts will sprout.

The foam is suspect mate when I tried it I just shed like crazy. The best minoxidil about is essegen 5% fast dry from minoxidilmax it dries well and doesn't itch as it's low in pro glycol.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

The foam is suspect mate when I tried it I just shed like crazy. The best minoxidil about is essegen 5% fast dry from minoxidilmax it dries well and doesn't itch as it's low in pro glycol.

Ive had really good sucess with the foam bonker...who knows..different strokes I guess..look forward to seeing your new pics!

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Yes to be honest it's probably just one of them things with the foam but when I see so much shedding it scares me and it wasn't like a normal minoxidil shed in went on more than I ever have done for nearly 2 month so bailed it but in theory you never know it could of been the start of amazing things for me but I doubt it.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1