First Post- 18 YRS Old, Hair Loss. Need help. Advice. HELP!?

jspence09

So I'm 18 years old, and experiencing thinning and balding hair.

My sides, and back are thick, but the top center of my head is thin and balding.

It really sucks, I hate having thin hair, and I don't know what to do!

It gets embarrassing when friends and peers pick on me about it, and I try to play it off.

What should I do? What can help?

I just started taking Biotin 2 days ago, and using the Walmart Brand of "Rogaine" that has the same ingediants of that Rogaine has.

But It is just worthless.

I need help.

What do I do!!??

Wait for a pic shortly.

--jspence :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man,

I'm sorry to hear of your MPB issues, but I'm happy that you've found this forum so early. You can truly arm yourself with the best information and resource here to conquer your hairloss as best as possible. There is hope, no doubt, but it won't be easy -- I know how hard it must be right now, and how hard it will be, but remember that in the grand scheme of things what matters most to your success and happiness is the very ability to solider through an obstacle such as this.

Rogaine is OK -- but if you aren't truly willing to commit to it 100% I wouldn't start/stop/etc. This can just lead to vicious shedding and it will lose efficacy.

There are two things I'd insta-reccommend to you, and I think could be a huge boon: propecia/proscar/finasteride, and Nanogen. The former is *the* single closest thing we have to a miracle drug. It's a small pill you pop 1x/day. I would go to a good dermatologist or hair restoration surgeon with experience in this area and inquire into this. It's primary efficacy is on regrowing and preserving hairs in the crown and vertex and top, but this doesn't mean it can't help everywhere.

Nanogen is a "concealer". It works best in areas where you have some hair, it's just thinned. Nanogen can virtually restore a perfect illusion of density. It truly saved my life for a while, and I was pretty far along and it gave me truly remarkable results. I would definitely order some of this and play around with it.

Also, I would look into following this regiment for hair care: http://hair-restoration-info.c...66060861/m/978108134

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Oh man, get on propecia/proscar/fin ASAP -- your pattern of loss right now is tailor made for it. Go to a dermatologist ASAP and they will give you the script for it. Proscar is cheaper than the Propecia -- same thing, but you need to cut it up into like 4th's or something....no big deal, and it's less expensive. This could be a life-saver for you.

Also, nanogen -- applied well -- could probably totally mask your baldness tomorrow.....

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Nanogen is a basic cover up for thining hair. Its basically a shaker that you put over bald spots and colored fibers come out . There are different types that do the samething nanogen/toppik/dermatch.

Just google it and you will get the picture.

Propecia is a brand name for 1mg fin. And proscar is 5mg fin. Same thing different amount per dose.

Hi Jspence09-

It's never easy to lose your hair. Even adults hate it but when you are in your teens, that can be a lot more tramatic. In looking back on it, a lot of my friends started losing their hair in high school. MPB starts at all kinds of crazy ages and progresses as time goes on.

As the posters have pointed out to you, you are on an excellent site to get all of the support and advice you would ever need. Do start on the meds ASAP and if you do want to make your hair appear more thick and full, there is always concealers. I personally use Toppik but there are other options available.

Obviously, you are too young to go the transplant route but the meds will definately slow down, stop and quite possilby in some areas reverse the hair loss. Be happy that you now live in an era where transplants have improved incredibly and if surgery is something you would choose to have in the future, there are a excellent docs out there. Just always be sure to DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!

I used to live off nanogen, which you can get online. For you, it is the single best option out there -- aside from also getting on propecia/proscar (which are the same thing, and represent the drug finasteride). I'm also on this, and it's working well, as it does for so many.

I literally was going from your level of thinning/baldness to a look of total coverage. I accidentally took my pics of that off this site -- but they were/are mindblowing. I couldn't reccommend it enough.

-----------

jspence,

Welcome to our community. You've been given some excellent advice by our members. You can get a prescription for Propecia by your family doctor or by consulting with a qualified hair restoration physician. If you want to save money, you can speak to a hair restoration physician about prescribing Proscar. Both contain finasteride however Proscar is a 5mg pill while Propecia is a 1mg pill. You'll have to split the Proscar pill into quarters and take 1/4 pill daily to be similar to the equivalent of one Propecia pill. While you'll spend about $180 for Propecia every 3 months, you'll only spend $80 every 4 months for Proscar.

Since finasteride does come with the potential for side effects, be sure to speak to your physician about not only the benefits, but also the limitations and possible side effects.

Best wishes,

Bill

Some people also buy finasteride on the internet without a prescription. You can buy it from websites that ship it from factories in India. But you're taking a risk that it could be a scam.

If you do nothing, you will keep losing hair. If you take finasteride, any one of the following things could happen:

(1) you could stop losing your hair

(2) you could stop losing your hair for 5 years, and then start again

(3) you could keep losing your hair, but at a slower rate

(4) you could keep losing your hair as if you did nothing (no effect)

(5) it could do one of 1 through 3, but with strong side effects that would force you to abandon the drug despite the fact that it is working

So it's not a sure bet, but it will at least give you a chance.

Ya, you can, and likely should. Nanogen are little fibers, comprised of similiar components that mimic actual hair, and these fibers bond with your hair. It can take some skill in mastering the applications, but can reap astounding results.

-----------

It's like "dust" that you sprinkle it on, and the keratin or w/e fibers bond with your hairs in various, many places.

-----------

Oh I see.

Hopefully it would help me, if I take those pills and the biotin vitamins.

By the way, I found another pic. This is when I shaved my head in March 09. Then my hair started growning and it looks like this! I was horrified because a friend took this picture! icon_frown.gif

http://tinypic.com/m/5wflt5/1

--jspence :D

Jspence,

Hair restoration is a process that takes time. Even proven non-surgical treatments aren't guaranteed and only very rarely grow hair in bald areas. Thickening of miniaturizing follicles may and will most likely occur if the medication is effective but will take up to a year of solid use.

Best wishes,

Bill

We are all here for you man! But be realistic regarding potential results and time scales. Everything in this game needs patience.

Youve been given some great advice, and despite you young age, beginning a regimen early in your hair loss pattern can only be a positive!

Good luck!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I know exactly where your coming from. I am now 20 years old and noticed I was balding since 16 or 17. It hurts when people say things because noone understands what it's like and howmuch it can hurt to look in the mirror and see that your thinning and going bald at such a young age. I played basketball in highschool, and one time when we were playing our rival school I had the whole croud chanting "you need rogaine" every time I touched the ball. Balding is something I have been dealing with for the past 4 years, and I have now decided I need to do something. Not proud to say but I seriously doubt your hair loss is as bad as mine. Just thought you would like to know you're not the only one, because I sure as hell did. Good luck with everything.