Hair transplant without Propecia or any dht blockers

I know that the original hair will eventually fall out without meds and will need several transplants in the future, but is it possible to do it this way?? Has anyone tried this approach?? (I'm almost 24 and have been going bald for around 3.5 years).

As tempting as it is, I wouldn't consider this. You've got tens of thousands of hairs on your head before MPB kicks in. A transplant won't get you anything near that. Sure, the transplant might give you a decent hair line, for example, but without meds your crown hair will carry on falling out. You'll end up looking like the Duke of Edinburgh.

The formula is:

Meds (propecia + minoxidil) = crown and mid area stabilisation + transplant to the front and whatever you can away with on top to 'fill in' = the closest you'll get to the ideal head of hair.

Crown loss can extend pretty far down the back. Since we can't predict how bad our hair loss will be, meds are absolutely essential to slow it down or stabilise it effectively.

Thanx for your reply! are you saying my hair would be worse if i had a hair transplant wuthout meds than what it is now?? Are hair transplants not as great as they're made out to be? I got the feeling that one could regain their hair again. Well not as good as it was before mpb but still good results.

You need meds. Original hair can and will fall out with and without transplants. Some of the hairs will be miniaturised anyway, so after an operation they may not return. This is because they were going to fall anyway. 'Eden is not burning, it's burnt'.

A transplant definitely has it's limitations & there are so many factors that affect the result- donor, loss level, surgeon's skill, hair type & thickness, use of meds etc.

Some of the hairs will be miniaturised anyway, so after an operation they may not return. This is because they were going to fall anyway. 'Eden is not burning, it's burnt'.

etc.

When you say this do you mean for the transplanted hair follicles??

Let's say you have a garden that's slowly withering away. You can plant new flowers in the garden, and that will help for now, but you still have to address the reason the garden wilted in the first place!

Think of meds as the water and sunlight plants need to grow. A ht can do wonderful things to your scalp, but it's no miracle cure. Keep your expectations realistic and take care of you hair with meds!

HT without meds is a dangerous route. Fin has been shown to improve the quality of hair even in the donor region, so I'd get on it and stay on it.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Although I would advocate taking the meds, I wouldn't say you "have" to use them to have an HT. Some men don't and get good results.

The medication is no doubt fantastic at slowing down, halting and in some cases partially reversing hairloss - but they do not stop it in its tracks indefinitely. Finasteride works by lowering DHT in the body to around 30-40% of normal levels - but it does not remove DHT. Your hair is still getting slowly affected by the DHT in your body and that won't stop completely - ever.

Finasteride has been shown to be effective in most men for at least 5 years and often more - there are some men who are still claiming it's working 15 or 20+ years from when they first started it. But most men will, within twenty years, say they can see their hair continue to lose ground. This will likely happen a lot slower than if you weren't on meds, but nevertheless it will still happen.

I honestly believe that, if you're 24 now, by the time you're 55 you will still pretty much have lost most of the hair you were genetically determined to. You probably would have kept on to it through your 30s and maybe even your 40s, but you can't truly halt hairloss indefinitely.

So whilst I broadly agree with the idea that you should get on meds, stabilise your loss and then consider a HT, I don't think this can be considered the end of the story. If you're looking to maintain a good head of hair for the rest of your life then the chances are by the time you're into your 50s, 95%+ of the hair on top of your head would be transplanted anyway.

If you choose to get an HT then its a path you have to commit to. The idea that you can get a HT or two and leave the meds work their magic for the rest of your life is one I don't think holds much water. Chances are by the age of 50 or 60, if you haven't addressed the balding in your crown with a HT, then it will have happened anyway.

Please don't feel I'm saying a HT without meds is normal or better than with meds (I'm not), I'm just saying that over the course of your life there's a strong chance the meds will ultimately lose ground, so that by the time you're in your 50s you'll have as much hair without the meds as the guy who took them.

If you want to have an HT without meds you have to be prepared for multiple procedures and that the hairline/frontal third takes much more precedent over the crown/vertex. You also have to be prepared for the idea that, with current technology and knowledge, you'll never be able to get a lot of coverage on your crown if your hairloss progresses to a high-end NW6 or 7. If you can accept those facts though an HT without meds is probably possible - you just have to commit to multiple procedures and for your hair to be in a constant state of flux until the balding subsides and your DHT resistant hair is left - something that could take many years.

• 1 month later...

is taking minoxidil by itself OK? would that work ?

I don't think i will risk taking Finasteride now since im starting a new family and i don't wanna take the risk even if the sides only affects small percentage. but i think i can commit to Minoxidil like rogain foam.

It's also worth noting some men with very harsh MPB thin in the donor area as well. Also the donor thins in many bald men once they are in their 60's. So meds may also help maintain your donor hair which would also happen to be your transplanted hair.

• 3 years later...

I just had a HT and I'm not taking any finasteride and minoxidil now. I might get on minoxidil in a couple weeks from now though. If say I didn't and I was alright with having 2 more HT's in the future (which my Dr. told me I'm able to do), would most of my hair loss areas be filled after 2 more transplants? Not small transplants, I mean big ones? The transplant I just had was like 2,800 + grafts which filled in a huge bald spot in my crown area and he rebuilt my hairline as well. I know that over time, I will continue to lose hair and I know hair loss is different for everyone. I know some people lose all their hair when they are young, but at what age on average to people lose all their hair? My hair isn't falling out too fast, but at what I consider an average rate. Maybe when I'm about 50 or 55? My next HT will most likely be filling out the thinning on the top of my head and probably a little more in the crown area. My crown area is fine now, but over time of course it will continue to bald more I know. I usually have my hair longer, so any bald areas that don't get filled in, I can probably hide under the hair from the 2 or 3 HT's I have had right?