Wondering my best option..

Hey guys, I've been reading the board for a couple of weeks & want to thank everybody for their very informative posts. I've been noticing that I may have started losing hair & if indeed that is the case, what would be my best way to go about it?

I'm 27, leaning towards Rogaine because I am self employed & don't have insurance. Lol. However a doctors visit & Propecia is probably also very affordable from everything I have been reading. Do I got to a dermatologist or a general practitioner? Do they need to do blood work or just examine my head & prescribe?

Should I go for normal strength or the high strength?

Am I indeed balding or do I just have thin hair?

This photo is from after the shower - hair damp & pushed down forward

2011-06-08144800.jpg

This photo is from after the shower - hair damp & pushed down forward (back view) I've ALWAYS had that spot where the hair grows from, even when I was young so disregard.

2011-06-08144517.jpg

This photo is with dry hair, hair pushed back "spiked" dry.

2011-06-09023215.jpg

Do you guys see baldness starting? Or is it just thin hair? Is now the time to start Rogaine for the best results or Propecia? I am 27 years old, stress free.

Just want to jump on now while it's minor so if I am indeed losing hair the Rogaine will have the best possible results rather than start in a year or more & have very noticeable loss.

Thanks in advance, look forward to being an asset on these boards!!

Looks a little thin, it looks like you would benefit greatly from finasteride and rogaine being so young and in the early stages of baldness. Take it from me, I'm 37, if I could go back to 27 and start medical therapy I'd do it in a heartbeat!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I agree, you should start rogaine and propecia and you may see a great improvement in hair regrowth. Most people at least see a stabilization off hair loss with the medication as well.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks guys for the information, I've always read if you catch it early you're in good/better shape & you have a good chance to keep what you have. That's my plan.

So basically I just get a doctors appointment & tell them I think I am thinning, they confirm & prescribe me the Propecia & may also suggest Rogaine? Do they need to run bloodwork or other tests or is it just a matter of looking at my head & confirming? Like I said, I am self employed, so I don't have insurance & just wondering if I'm going to be on the hook for paying for bloodwork which may be a little costly (not sure).

I personally do not use Roagaine yet, although I probably should...if rogaine did something I may skip surgery for a few more years, but I can not make the commitment to it. I do take finasteride and would advise it to you as well. That said, it is hard to tell if you are balding or just hair very fine hair characteristics, but from my experience on the forums, 95% of the time someone thinks they are balding....they are. I started like that too, but soon had to admit that is what was happening.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I have to agree with the guys above. Get a propecia prescription from the GP. Some of them are reluctant to give it to you because they frankly have little knowledge about it. The first GP refused to prescribe it to me because he wasn't sure about it.

Minoxidil needs commitment, that's for sure. But the lotion or the foam are easier to apply.

I've heard the foam doesn't help, but that may not be accurate. I know the lotion is good from personal experience

rick954,

I will add my vote for Propecia and Rogaine. While it's impossible to predict what your particular results will be, you do appear to be an excellent candidate.

If your doctor is agreeable, ask for generic 5mg finasteride and quarter the pill. You will save TONS of money by doing this. I've heard guys state that their doctors have refused to prescribe it but both my GP and my dermatologist offered to write me scripts after just mentioning I was taking it.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I would have to say that the thinning seems quite uniformed. Like others have said mate get on the med's and see how you go, be sure to document over a 12 month period my man.

Cheers,

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Thanks guys for all the information. I have a visit with a dermatologist this Tuesday.

Does anybody know what to expect? Do they do blood work or any other tests? Or just inspect my head & confirm? Reason I ask is I'm self employed (no insurance), so the less tests they have to run, the cheaper off it will be for me. Lol.

Anything I need to be prepared for during this visit?

Hey mate,

It will all depend on the derm that you see. Some run certain tests if they locate a particular problem or some may inspect and prescribe.

In your case mate they will most likely offer Fin/Minoxidil of they see evidence of MPB, don't be alarmed if they are skeptical with regards to prescribing fin as many derms (personal experience) seem to have limited knowledge on it's use. I remember having to explain many years ago my intentions of use, obviously this is not implying that all derm's are useless for your situation.

All depends my friend.

I am taking a stab you are from the states since you keep referring to insurance?

Cheers,

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

I couldn't imagine any blood work, just like some others have said, ask for proscar( finasteride ) and then get it in the generic form. This will be 5mg and then you can cut them as needed. Much cheaper that way. 10 dollars for 30 pills and will last a long time! Also, the rogaine foam will cost you about 49 dollars for a 4 month supply if you get it from romaine.com. So, in all for roughly 15 dollars a month you should be sitting good! If you want to get the third arsenal weapon against hair loss, get the nizoral shampoo. Use it a couple of times a week. One bottle of that should last you at least 6 months!

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

Yes, I am from the states, so any doctors visit will be out of pocket.

NEWHAIRPLEASE thanks for the advice, I have found it to be very affordable if I can get the generic. I'll be going to the doctor on Tuesday & hopefully I'll have an update then.

I went to the dermatologist today & got a prescription for Propecia 1 mg. I asked her if she could give me a prescription for the generic & if necessary I can cut it. I told her I saw a diagram online on how to cut it, so that wouldn't be an issue. She said the only problem would be if I don't cut it correctly, I'll be getting improper dosage.

Well, I called around to the Pharmacies - Walmart, Target, etc & the price ranges from $60-$80 a month for the Propecia 1mg. If I could have gotten a generic the price is $6-$10 to fill the script.

So now what do I do? I don't want to pay $60 a month to have this prescription filled. I am self employed, so everything will be coming out of pocket.

Do I have any other options? Should I call the doctor back & ask if she can change it to a generic even though I already asked that in the office?

Help please.

Heres what I would do if I were you. I would drive to one of the recommend doctors on this site that works in Florida. Your profile says that's where you live. I would establish a relationship with this doctor, have him or her take some photos, and I would imagine they would give you a prescription for proscar. Also, this will give you the added benefit of being able to go back in a year and take more pictures to see your progress.

Newhairplease!!

My Hairloss Website

That suckss man, I would have tried asking before I went. Doctors perscribe drugs for alteranative reasons all of the time. I wish doctors would help people when they can in these kinds of ways. They are ignorant on the subject so they are reluctant to do it. Sorry to hear that.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

rick954,

Any Rogaine or generic 5% minoxidil will work just fine. If you want to use the foam, there is currently no generic version available.

Some guys experience scalp irritation with liquid minoxidil. Rogaine Foam is less irritating, is non-greasy and dries quickly. I use Rogaine Foam in the morning and generic liquid in the evening.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hey guys, I've been taking my pill as directed for the last few days & I ordered some Rogaine which came today.

I keep reading that when you first start using Rogaine, you will see some increased shedding during the first couple of weeks. How bad is this shedding? Right now, my thinning isn't noticeable so I don't want to start this Rogaine & then have it be noticeable. Should I still use the Rogaine or just keep using the Propecia 1mg?

How bad is the shedding & how long does it last would be my questions.

Also I got the 5% foam, should I have gotten a lesser strength to begin with?

Edited by rick954

You will experience some shedding with rogaine and propecia within the first 3 months but it is temporary your hair will regrow and usually become healthier and thicker. The 5% foam is the correct one to use, and if you can try to use it twice a day, and propecia once a day. Using both will give the best chances of regrowing hair as well as stopping any further hair loss. Again remember that both of these medication don't usually show great results in the hairline area, but rather on the top and crown regions. So if you see your hairline recede it does not mean the medication is not working, it just doesn't provide great results in that area. You should commit to using both of these for at least 1 year and follow the progress every few months with photos.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Since my hair thinning isn't very noticeable (see pics on first page), should I just use the Propecia for now? Or should I still use it in combination with the Rogaine regardless of how noticeable it is?

My concern is, the Rogaine will make me shed & it will end up being noticeable. Whereas, if I take the Propecia, it will help me keep what I have right now.

I used the Rogaine today, twice, but it seems like its hard to get directly on the scalp as opposed to gunking up my hair on the crown.

Edited by rick954