Long-Term Rogaine?

cperry23jd

Hey everyone:

I just have a simple question. Has anyone been on Rogaine for more than let's say 5 years? Or any long periods of time? I would love to see some examples or links to examples of people who have had success with Rogaine over extensive periods of time. I'm just curious if this is a great long-term product. Or if finasteride is a better alternative? I realize it varies with the individual, but, what do you guys think?

I've been wondering the same thing. I mean it's been out since like the 90's. You would think that if there were any good long term results, the company wold have them plastered all over the Internet.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think it's a solution for the long term becasue minoxidil is not "fighting" the dht it just has the reverse effect than the dht. In the long term the dht would win the minoxidil so maybe its a good thing to combine some unti dht

solution like azelaic acid.

Ive been on it since 2002 so nearly 10 years now and can say it has slowed baldness progressing but wont stop it alone unless you add fin /dut (in my opinion).I came off minoxidil for around 3 months last year and the amount of hair loss was frightening so went straight back on it.

I think min is a must in terms of topical use to combat baldness but its not a miracle cure (nothing is. )

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to say that I've been on minoxidil for over 10 years ( I think even longer). I started immediately when my hairline went from teen to mature (I believe this was when i was 18 or 19 yo), and have kept the same hairline till now (I'm almost 31).

At the moment I'm also on finasteride to maintain, but it's only been about 2-3 months so far. My temples are maybe an inch behind my front hairline, and most people would think I'm a guy without MPB. And while I don't have thinning in the crown, my younger brother (28 yo) is completely bald, who never used minoxidil or took proper care of his hair.

Will I go bald like my brother eventually? Sure, it could still happen, but I feel like I got (and am still getting) my best years from slowing down the process.

PS: I only used minoxidil once per day right before bed and only on my hairline (where it's not proven to work).

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to say that I've been on minoxidil for over 10 years ( I think even longer). I started immediately when my hairline went from teen to mature (I believe this was when i was 18 or 19 yo), and have kept the same hairline till now (I'm almost 31).

At the moment I'm also on finasteride to maintain, but it's only been about 2-3 months so far. My temples are maybe an inch behind my front hairline, and most people would think I'm a guy without MPB. And while I don't have thinning in the crown, my younger brother (28 yo) is completely bald, who never used minoxidil or took proper care of his hair.

Will I go bald like my brother eventually? Sure, it could still happen, but I feel like I got (and am still getting) my best years from slowing down the process.

PS: I only used minoxidil once per day right before bed and only on my hairline (where it's not proven to work).

Great example of meds working!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I have used Rogaine for at least 10 years. When I first started using it I had significant improvement in my crown. Over the years that diminished, but I am quite sure that I would have lost a lot more hair over the years if I was not using it. I just started using Fin this year.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

• 2 months later...

realquiet,

I know this post is old, but do you have any photos to show your hair progress? I've now been on Rogaine for nearly 6 months and am very happy with the results. I would just like to see some results someone, who's been on Rogaine for a long period of time.

realquiet,

I know this post is old, but do you have any photos to show your hair progress? I've now been on Rogaine for nearly 6 months and am very happy with the results. I would just like to see some results someone, who's been on Rogaine for a long period of time.

Hey man, you can see pics of my hairline in the thread "positive finpecia results 2 1/2 months in" as well as my recent HT thread with Dr Keene.

I'm posting from a phone or I would link you to them myself.

• 1 year later...

I started using rogaine/mininoxidil when I was 19. I am now 49. I caught my hair loss in the earliest stages. I had a small area of thinning on my vertex (the area the size of a half dollar). After a year on Rogaine I noticed it was filling in. And after 2 years it was almost completely filled in. I never thought I would have to worry about hair loss again. But my hair line continued to slowly recede. The first 20 - 22 years it receded about a half an inch. I was ok with that. But the last 7 years it has receded another inch and a half. And I am no longer ok with how my hairline looks. Rogaine continues to work on my vertex, but I started using Latisse in front. Its too expensive to cover the entire front area, so I apply it once a day to the front middle. I've been on it for only 3 weeks and no good news yet and its still receding. I tried propecia along time ago for about 2 years and it didn't help.

I started using rogaine/mininoxidil when I was 19. I am now 49. I caught my hair loss in the earliest stages. I had a small area of thinning on my vertex (the area the size of a half dollar). After a year on Rogaine I noticed it was filling in. And after 2 years it was almost completely filled in. I never thought I would have to worry about hair loss again. But my hair line continued to slowly recede. The first 20 - 22 years it receded about a half an inch. I was ok with that. But the last 7 years it has receded another inch and a half. And I am no longer ok with how my hairline looks. Rogaine continues to work on my vertex, but I started using Latisse in front. Its too expensive to cover the entire front area, so I apply it once a day to the front middle. I've been on it for only 3 weeks and no good news yet and its still receding. I tried propecia along time ago for about 2 years and it didn't help.

I think that in almost every case finasteride helps. Even if you have a lower hair count after five years, it is still higher than it would have been had you not used it. I would strongly consider it. At 49, you sound like you did very very well to have as much hair as you do and started using a preventative so long ago.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I've been on minoxidil since 2005 and propecia since 2010

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Wow I didn't even know rogaine has been around for 30 years. I thouught only 15.

Before Rogaine came out, I had to get a prescription for minoxidil tablets that got ground up in a crucible and poured into an extraneous compound like Vehicle/N or E-Solve (then shaken). I know these details because I was a poor college student when I started using it and to save money I would buy the tablets and extraneous compound and crush up the tablets myself. When Rogaine first came out, you still had to get a prescription for it and a 3 pack cost $144. It was a huge expense, but I was determined not to lose my hair.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for sharing your story. I've been searching and searching for people who've used minoxidil for more than 5 years, and it's been difficult to find people who've used it successfully long term. Is the minoxidil still working for your vertex area? Or has it lost some of it's effectiveness in that area?

Thank you for sharing your story. I've been searching and searching for people who've used minoxidil for more than 5 years, and it's been difficult to find people who've used it successfully long term. Is the minoxidil still working for your vertex area? Or has it lost some of it's effectiveness in that area?

I have been on Rogaine since 1994, I switched to foam around 2008. I have seen growth hairline to crown and use 2 bottles of foam a month.

I started Propecia around 1998 at 1mg /day, moved to 5mg/day 2 years ago as I had BPH

I have a also had 2K grafts done from 1999 - 2006. I never had crown work and have had significant regrowth in that area so it's all the drugs.

I stopped using Rog and Propecia for a year or so in 2005 and lost a LOT of hair but thank god it seems to have all come back

I am currently using 5mg of Fin and Kirkland foam once a day and Rogaine once a day.

Long story short, I have more hair today than I did 20 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Since you use both Rogaine and Kirkland, in your experience, does the generic work as well as the Rogaine? I'm just wondering why you are using both at the same time. And does the foam work better than the liquid? Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. Since you use both Rogaine and Kirkland, in your experience, does the generic work as well as the Rogaine? I'm just wondering why you are using both at the same time. And does the foam work better than the liquid? Thanks!

I am using both for 6 months before I switch to Kirkland to make sure it works, of course I won't know for sure until I switch over 100%

I believe foam works better than liquid