3 months after HT, need urgent help/suggestion

Hello all,

I am really happy to see this kind of amazing forum where senior personels are there to guide people properly and helping them.

I am 25 years old, and i lives in india. My hairs were thinning from age 19. Today till january, 2011, situation was that my crown ad back part is almost left with 10% of initial hair density.

So i finally decided to go for HT.

Before HT i tried to search for various HT methods, from some forums i got to know that STRIP method gives better results.

The after contacting a good surgeon, he told that he used to do only strip HT.

I aggreed and he finalised the date for HT.

Before HT he didn't told me any major pre-op recautios, like i have seen in many posts like exercise, avoid coffee, propecia, etc.

He did my HT in three stages.

i.e. in first session : 1000 grafts

in second session (after 15 days of first session) : 1000 grafts

in third session (after 15 days of secnd session) : 1000 grafts

and in three different areas as he divided accordingly.

so it took 1 month from 1st session to 3rd session.

Here are the pick almost 1 week after 3rd session.

image014pu.jpg

image012eb.jpg

image009uc.jpg

My doctor told post-op precaution manily not to drink, and manily not to smoke or stand near anybody smoking.

now it has been 3 months to the first session. I am attaching the photo of current situation.

recieverfinal.jpg

sorry i forgot to take my pre-op pick but its was a bit better then my todays situation.

MY MAJOR CONCERN IS THE SCAR WIDENING AND SHOCK LOSS IN DONOR AREA.

i am attaching photo :

Donor area for session 1st and 3rd :

donor3closest.jpg

and normally it looks like

donor13aslooks.jpg

and donor area for session 2nd :

donor2close.jpg

and normally it looks like

donor2aslooks.jpg

my major problem is that scars have widened a lot in last 2 month.

earlier these scars were not this much wide, very fine line.

please take a look at this pic (1 month after HT):

image024a.jpg

and

image021k.jpg

Somebody please suggest BEST POSSIBLE METHOD to reduce scar and possibility with precautions of scar widening.

also the donor are for 1st and 3rd session have significance shock loss which have not recovered yet. will it get healed in terms of regrowth of hairs (any idea).

Right now my doctor have suggested minoxidil 5% solution only. Lastly when i went to him with scar widening concern he said it will take 6 months to stabalize as there is some activity, i.e. why its a bit reddis and he suggested me to massage with normal coconut oil only. Personally speking i have very slight itching (not much.

Please somebody suggest what could be best precaution and medicine if any.

Also do you suggest to take any other medicine like finasteride for good growth and shock loss recovery.

Also when i am touching my scalp i feels very small pin sort of hairs on my sclap, but very little in density. What recovery time you suggest will be in approximation for these hairs to grow.

Reason for my concerns are because i have no feedback of the doctor about his HT experience. I don't know how would be the final yeild.

I have read somewhere that after HT if your hairs have sheded i.e. shock loss without bleeding then all sheded hairs wilHl almost grow back may be early or later. Is that really true because after my HT i't didn't experienced any bleeding after coming back home.

Rohit, I don't mean to alarm you, but your HT surgeon should not be practicing HT surgery. There are so many things he did wrong I'm not sure where to begin. Firstly, a strip surgery should NEVER be performed in 3 separate sessions like that. I have never heard of such a thing. It takes at least 1 year for a strip scar to heal. The reason your scar is so wide and raised is that it never had time to heal properly. It is now one lump of scar tissue. You should have had one strip taken, in one day, and it should have been for 3k grafts.

So, do not return to this doctor for anymore advice or surgery.

Okay, moving forward: I have no idea what your financial situation is, but the only way to fix the problem is to have scar revision surgery, and you must wait for your current scar to heal. There are some docs from India who have been posting here recently that showed some decent results (Dr. Madhu I think), but if you can you might want to consider traveling to the USA or Canada. There are some of the world's best HT surgeons performing strip here.

Sorry to see you going through this and if there's any other questions you have please ask...

P.S. i just looked at your pics again and it looks like you have two strip scars. Do you have a third or did he take two strips from one and then make a second?

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Did I read correctly that you had three strip procedures 15 days apart from each other? If so, then there is your answer as to why your scar is so huge. You should wait it out and let your scar heal for over a year. In the meantime, start saving for a scar revision... and make sure you don't go to a hack this time!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hi,

My understanding of HT procedure that in a case like you have presented a patient would have 1 surgery and not 3. I presume that the surgeon did not have the resources to pull off 1 surgery to avoid 3 donor scars.

I would suggest that you consult with Doctor Madhu in India. He is the only surgeon in India who is recommended on this site. Your donor scar looks like it is pretty wide imo.

Good luck.

Regards

Rod

hi aaron1234, thanks for the reply, but please let me know that is doing three independent session is the main reason for scar widening and how. can you suggest any treatment or precaution to reduce scar in the meantime.

also tell wether it was wron that my surgeon did HT in three different sessions each 15 days apart.

Edited by rohitsharma

rohitsharma,

Welcome to this community. Unfortunately, at this point, there is nothing you can do to reduce your scar. As has already been suggested, you need to wait for your scar to fully heal and then you may want to consider scar revision surgery.

Your shock loss should be temporary and any hairs lost should begin to grow back between 3 and 4 months post-op. I highly recommend starting both Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride) in order to stablize your hair loss and retain as much existing hair as you can.

If you would like a second opinion, I recommend contacting Dr. Pathuri Madhu of Hyderabad, Dr. Madhu is currently the only hair restoration in India recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

"also tell wether it was wron that my surgeon did HT in three different sessions each 15 days apart."

Rohit, Did you not read my first post to you? The answer is yes, three strip surgeries 15 days apart is very wrong. You should have one strip taken during a HT surgery and it needs months to heal before you have another one. Also, when you have a second or third procedure the HT doc should not make another scar. The wide and multiple scars you have are from doctor negligence and your doctor should NOT BE IN PRACTICE ANYMORE.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

"Rohit, Did you not read my first post to you?"

Hairthere, I noticed your post when I first visited the thread. Second time I came around to it and your post was missing/gone. So I posted my reply... and then this morning I noticed that your reply came back up. Something was technically wrong with this thread, so that is probably why Rohit missed your post.

And Rohit, being three months passed your procedures means that is there not much you can do to prevent your scars from widening any further. Still, I would be careful not to do any heavy lifting, working out, etc. Take it easy and try not to put any stress on the neck.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Initially, I thought I read your post wrong about three HTs in a span of just about a month's time. I am no expert, however, 3 HTs in such a short span sounds real strange. Just curious, did your doc give any reasons behind his planning 3 HTs the way he has?

As David has pointed out, the best you can do now is schedule a consultation with Dr Madhu in Hyderabad and plan your next steps carefully. For some reason, I am not able to access the images...

Best Wishes..

Edited by hairsprint

Hi,

You can make contact with Doctor Madhu via email but I would suggest that you need to wait about 8 - 10 months before trying to correct the scars. I don't really know too much regarding scar reduction surgery but you probably need to have an assessment in person prior to organising any type of surgery.

Regards

Rod

Guest Ian512017155

I don’t mean to sound like a jerk but that huge scar is totally unacceptable. I am not one to recommend litigation but in this case I would file a lawsuit against the surgeon!

Im horrified at these results ! Im horrified at what this Dr has done to you ! regardless of how far Dr Madhu is from you ,you need to consult with him you can not afford to get this wrong consult with Dr Madhu !! You also need to warn people of the Dr who did this to you on the forums

I wish you all the very best

ej

Wow that is scandelous what was your surgeon thinking i don't suppose it was tom norton was it he specializes in the ridiculously wide scar section of the hair transplant industry from what i hear and see that should be one of his or maybe bosley.

Just wait it out pal and get a revision like people before have said. Also look to make a law suit as that's a definite case there.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk