Those who have REALLY REALLY researched hair transplant / have had transplants

Im pretty much a NW5 at 26 but shave it down.

Would i ever look GOOD with transplanted hair. I must say that guys who are NW4-7 do not look good at all with the transplanted hair, its just so incredibly thin. Maybe 3-4% of the hundreds of pictures i've seen look good, but i think the pictures are heavily "toppik'ed" and i really cant use that product.

So... what do you think. Is a transplant not for me if i want "decent" thickness? its ok if its pretty thin but not VERY thin.

Second question, if it's very thin, could i shave it down (would do FUE ofcourse) and tattoo in the little scars and to add thickness on top? So i would look like ive got hair (and when i would stroke across my head i would feel the buzz). Would that be an option

Thank you guys.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
Removed Outside Link

my thoughts, if you look good with a shaved head , then dont get a HT. Look at the "rock" or Vin Diesel...they both look cool with the shaved look...for me , I look better with hair , I would be a NW3a with some indication of NW5....so my HT is looking good .....if I was a NW6+ I would then keep it very short ...maybe a hair piece but I personally woundt do the HT route ...........I think its a call you got make , based on your head shape etc....

Based on your case and expectations, I think that an HT probably isn't a good idea for you, at least not at this point, for two main reasons.

First, if you're a NW5 at age 26, then you have a good chance of significant more balding... maybe even to a NW7 by the time you're in your early 30's.

Second, you said that only 3-4% NW4-7s who get HTs end up looking good, in your opinion. That is definitely not my opinion, but I respect yours. If you you feel that way now, I can't imagine you'll be happy with your results. So save yourself the headache and the heartache.

Also, you said that you would only go the FUE route. Bear in mind that FUE usually cost twice as much as FUT. A NW5 is going to need at least 5,000 grafts, so you're looking at close to a $40,000 procedure. And if you want density like you mentioned, then think closer to 8,000 grafts! Do you even have that much donor hair to spare, let alone cash?

Also, because you shave it down already, I'm assuming that it must be working for you and that you've never had to experience the true hell of MPB like so many others have-- fortunately, neither have I. From what I gather from my hardcore balding brothers, when you have to live in the pit of MPB, you're entire perception of what looks good changes completely.

Therefore, I suggest you read posts by Epileptic Sceptic to really see what I mean. He goes into agonizing detail about the psychological, emotional and social ramifications of being bald in a world that prizes a full head of hair. He's also a great source of knowledge and advice and he doesn't sugarcoat things either.

Good luck with your situation. You'll find a lot of friendly and sensible advice on HTN.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Norwoodsman,

I have seen successful fue on nw5s and 6s. Look up stephen at BHR clinic. Also there was a nw5 posting on this site who changed his appearance quite a bit with only 2000 grafts. I can't remember if he was fue or fut though. Will try to think of his name

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Check out a patient called rewind. Quite a good change in appearance with 2000 grafts for a nw 6. Look him up on the patient websites.

Btw, when I made my last reply on here, I got a message that said the post will not be visible until it's reviewed by a moderator, has anyone else gotten that???

Edited by Levrais

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Hey norwoodsman, I share your confusion. I started researching HTs when i was 27 (NW 4) and i'm now 30 and am still an NW4. At 27 I was advised against getting it done and I took that advice and waited to see how bad it'd get, but my hairloss seems to have stopped here.

I still shave my head (as there's little else you can do with it), and look ok with a shaved head, but it's not enough for me. I then realised that actually, there's no point asking anyone else. There's not a soul i've met who thinks i look bad with a shaved head, but is that enough for me? No. So i've booked my HT in July with Feriduni. Why? Because I want to and I can affoard it.

The choice is yours to make. Even if someone really influential in your life advises you one way or the other, the advice will eventaully wear off and in time you'll revert back to your true feelings about what you need to do.

Norwoodsman,

I am in the same boat as you! I think a combination of micropigmentation with about 5,000 grafts can look awesome.

However, my optimism hasn't really been reinforced on this board. Wonder if there is something I am not looking at?

I think this combo is our only hope!

• 1 month later...