30 and Receding Hairline, how long do I wait??

I have receding hairline and have not taken any meds or tried rogaine. I am sure using propecia might be beneficial, I just wanted to avoid taking meds forever.

How long do I need to wait before being a candidate for surgery?? Do i need to wait for my entire frontal area to recede?? Can a hair dr know how much of my frontal region I will ultimately lose, can they estimate this loss??

thanks in advance,

Darren

You don't need to wait at all. The sooner you start meds the better. Remember that meds are better at maintaining than regrowing.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I'm 30 and I just had my first HT 6 months ago. I think it's quite common for our age group.

If you're still unsure, it may be a good idea may to consult with an HT doctor to monitor your hair over the next year to see if your hair loss significantly progresses or not. Have them take lots of photos.That is what I did. The hair loss subsided for the most part, so I went ahead with the HT. It was probably just my hairline "maturing" as they call it.

I don't take meds either for the same reason, among others, that I don't want to have to be on them for the rest of my life. However, if it turns out that my hairline wasn't just maturing after all, then I'll have to reconsider medication... as well as another HT. Well see...

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Unfortunetly, most of the hair loss prevention treatments have not been found to be very effective in the frontal and hair line area. If you have a receding hair line that you know you are not happy with and want to make sure that you always have a hairline to frame you face than maybe you do not need to wait for hair restoration surgery. Of course, you need to take into consideration that you will be getting older and may have additional hair loss in the future when creating your long term plan with your doctor.

Maybe not proven but I have seen many cases that fin has halted frontal hair loss.

Do you think if you only have temporal recession or your hairline braking up that you should not take fin??

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.