Hairline touchup/ round 2? how common is it and should I consider?

Hey fellas,

about 9 months ago I had my first HTP with Dr. Ross in La Jolla of 2500 grafts in my temple areas to fill in recession.

9 months later and I am still seeing a pluggy, thin hairline thats not as natural as I wanted to be. I am wondering if I should be considering a 2nd HT for refinement, density, and naturalness

dont get me wrong, i am happy with the results as I have come a long way, but I would like to see a more natural hairline ...

I know I have more months to grow but at this rate its not looking like ill see the results that i intended

i attatched some pictures so you guyscould analyze for yourself

I was also wondering how common it was for a doctor to give a discounted/even free refinement for his patient if they aren't completely satisfied??

let me know your thoughts,

Thanks,

Cameron

5b32ccfe9975f_Photo3.jpg.528810e36043cff2d65de16e96b31e6e.jpg

5b32ccfead047_Photo2.jpg.dd1976358181ab8f4d71cfd2e8caa34b.jpg

5b32ccfec0d69_Photo4.jpg.1e64c9d7dc9f4e8182e39390b89658a6.jpg

5b32ccfed586d_Photo5.jpg.6d06b0ea1ab19c8113220115fabe749c.jpg

Edited by ctillisc

ctillisc,

Honestly, I don't think your transplant looks unusual for 9 months. You'd be surprised at much much improvement you will get over the next 3 to 16 months. In my opinion you should be open to the possibility of needs a second pass but you need to wait out the first procedure. I saw continued improvement beyond the one year mark but still opted for a follow up procedure to add density.

It is not unusual for hair restoration physicians to offer free or discounted touch ups in the event that the results are shown to be sub par but you'll need to discuss that with your doctor.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I am having the same issues as u mate so i feel for you, but if there is any consolation, u r in a far better predicament as i m. I think the density is fine although i admit u should probably be looking for a better result. Give yourself another few months. There is nothing much u can do right now but wait!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

I know this is easier said than done, but patience is your only option right now. Even if you decide on having another procedure (which you may not need), you should wait atleast 2 years post-op before making your decision.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

CT,

Although 9 months is quite far along in the post-operative, growth phase, technically your result (at the 9 month mark) is only around 70% matured. If you did want to consider a second procedure to thicken up the hairline (which isn't too uncommon), I'd personally suggest waiting until the 12 month mark to make a thorough assessment and start consultations. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I agree...need to wait a little longer. That said, if it does not improve I would consider it sub-par results personally.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

9 months later and I am still seeing a pluggy, thin hairline thats not as natural as I wanted to be. I am wondering if I should be considering a 2nd HT for refinement, density, and naturalness

I was also wondering how common it was for a doctor to give a discounted/even free refinement for his patient if they aren't completely satisfied??

This reminds me of an example that my philosophy professor used in college. Two guys walk up to a well with buckets, waiting to bring water back to their families. The first guy drops his bucket down the well and pulls up a pail full of water. To test it, he raises the pail to his lips and takes a deep drink. Five seconds later, he drops dead on the spot. The second man kneels down to assist him but soon realizes that he's dead. The second man then stands up again, shakes his head, and lowers his own bucket down the well, declaring, "Boy, I hope I don't get any of that water!"

Point: the doctor already gave you something that you find pluggy and unacceptable, so why on earth go back to him? I've discussed the cost issue here before, and I can't repeat it enough: you're buying a medical procedure, not a TV set. You DON'T want a "deal." You don't look for bargains, and you sure as hell don't go and get a second procedure---free or not---from someone who gave you a "pluggy" hairline.

Remember: money can be replaced, but follicles can't. I'd be more worried about wasting my donor supply than about spending a few extra dollars to have it done right.