Importance of meds with transplant

hairshare,

In my opinion, Propecia and/or Rogaine (preferably both) should be strongly considered as part of a patient's long term hair restoration plan. Hair loss is progressive and surgical hair restoration does nothing to slow it down or stop it.

I'm not suggesting everyone must take these medications, but it certainly helps to minimize the risks of future loss that's otherwise unknown and unpredictable.

After all, hair restoration is a long term process and its goal is to get the best possible results while reducing risks.

Best wishes,

Bill

Ya, I think it's almost always very beneficial, and with someone on the younger side it is almost essential. Fin should always be tried and given a fair shot.

Broadly speaking, I think it greatly delay if not terminate, your chances of going NW7, and, in some cases, especially if caught early, NW6. The ramifications on this in how you can then allocate your donor, and stem "excessive" procedures that you would otherwise have to brave can't be overstated.

In a younger guy, especially very guy, getting a HT is *not* a simple thing to do; and delaying the need for future procedures as much as possible is paramount. From a practical level, if you are young and going the route of a HT it is in part predicated upon you taking on risks older patients might not have, for the sake of preserving your youth and maximizing the benefits of the present...while you're in your youth.

Being on, and respond to Fin can be really instrumental in this process.

Myself, for example, if not for fin I'd likely feel the need for another bold procedure to hit my crown and vertex right now; which would also be making my top seem thinner than it really is since it wouldn't be giving it any "backup".

Because of fin I have the luxury of waiting out another HT without having a truly dire need, and when I do go for another there's a very legit chance it could be a final procedure of sorts to get me through my youth.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Propecia=poison

You will be taking your own life and major health complications in your own hands.

Not worth it!!!!!!!!!!1

pale rider,

Please post your supporting data. Thank you.

take care...

Propecia=poison

You will be taking your own life and major health complications in your own hands.

Not worth it!!!!!!!!!!1

We all know Finasteride comes with possible side effects, no one can deny this but your statement if over the top.

All medication comes with possible sides. As far as I'm aware, no one has lost their life as a result of taking Finasteride.

Hairshare, The importance of meds pre and post-op will of course vary for each person, if you have native hair that you feel may be lost - then Finsasteride and/or Minoxidil are the only proven options available to you.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of having a transplant without taking at least 1 of the above to try and keep my native hair.

Guest Brad Limmer, MD

hairshare:

I would agree with the majority and routinely recommend both Propecia and Rogaine. Everything comes with risks, but realize both of these medications have been around for over 25 years, been highly researched (finesteride still being studied as a potential prostate prevention medication) and millions of doses taken.

Side effects have been seen, reported and well documented. In over 15 years of prescribing I've never seen an allergic reaction or toxic reaction to finesteride. I will say I believe the risk of decreased sexual desire/drive is higher than reported. Outside of that I've had two patients report gynocomastia (both had it as preteens), two patients report breast fullness, a few note decreased ejaculate volume and maybe one case of slightly elevated liver function tests that could not 100% be correlated to taking finesteride.

Brad Limmer, MD/jac

MMHCE~dutasteride is even worse than Fina brother.What's more impotant you heart and kidney/penis or hair??????? Take it from a post-fin suffer!

Stick to topical solutions.Easier for the body to handle.Not without complications~even rogaine has side effcts!

Originally posted by pale rider:

MMHCE~dutasteride is even worse than Fina brother.What's more impotant you heart and kidney/penis or hair??????? Take it from a post-fin suffer!

Stick to topical solutions.Easier for the body to handle.Not without complications~even rogaine has side effcts!

Yea, I had minimal effects from fin, but duta is another story. If you are calling finisteride poison, then duta is radioactive anthrax.

Medical therapy represents a good alternative and/or supplement to surgery for many but not all patients.

I agree with Dr. Limmer that the side effects of propecia appear to be higher than the company states, but we have lots of happy propecia patients.

I took it for 11 months, had the side effect more than I wanted and stopped it. One can always discontinue the medicine if there is an issue.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thank you Doctor for you comment!

I have stopped for over a year now and suffer from hard side effects.Some gentlemen even contiplated suicide from severe depression,loss of sight,no libido,decreased muscle mass,low motivation,man boobs(start of endo) and the list goes on........

Even bobdybuilders cycle off drugs periodically.

Although,from a patient stand point; I would suggest several small(small scar less noticable) strip procedures or fue

to reach one's goals w/no drug consumption.Even Saw P as a DHT injhibitor has reck some men's life.

In doing so,one wouldn't have to chase baldness/hairloss for the rest of their life and could opt to shave their head with no complication from drug cosumption.

Scars are one thing but continual side effects is yet another.Good luck!

Originally posted by pale rider:

Propecia=poison

Not worth it!!!!!!!!!!1

If keeping your hair, getting tons of chicks, staying out late partying with the gal pals is what you mean by taking your own life in your hands - I agree!

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Hairhope~Work on your mind and body.Have a good career nice home and women will want you

for U.All that matters in life is friends,family,health.

Merk is huge with a billion dollor drug industry and corupt FDA officals.Do you think for one moment that they care about the human equation over stuffing their pockets.Greed is every where just take a look around!

If keeping your hair, getting tons of chicks, staying out late partying with the gal pals is what you mean by taking your own life in your hands - I agree!

Hair hope,

I think your concept of self beauty needs to be revised, as I have pointed out to other posters.

Pale rider has raised some vital points and directed us to a forum with scientific studies.

I for one, have had minimal side effects on dutasteride and no side effects on finasteride.

take care...

I firmly believe in developing the Mind, Body, Spirit - but you must admit, chicks dig hair icon_smile.gif

Pale, I respect your opinion and personal choice - if I were in my 20s, or early 30s, personally I would not use anything affecting my hormones. Anti-dht (propecia) is good for me at this point for other reasons such as prostate health (I'm hoping).

Thank you for your warning however.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

If you are calling finisteride poison, then duta is radioactive anthrax.

LOL! The thing I wonder about fin is if it's possibly to actually verify whether or not you are experiencing the side-effects -- as a direct result of the drug.

I suppose the gynecomastia-like sides would be relatively easy to pinpoint, since barring pronounced weight gain there isn't really much of an x-factor that could be interfering with pinpointing the possibility of the drug.

But with sexual sides, particularly, there can be so many variables coming into play that stem from the mind alone.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

It's all in the mind? I didn't realize anyone said such a thing.

Putting your misplaced hyperbole to the side....it's well within the realm of possiblity that any number of people on finasteride who also experience sexual difficulties experience this problem from something unrelated to fin, and the drug is, of course, a perfectly soothing and simple culprit; a "scapegoat" that, in and of itself, will compound or even create the problem entirely on its own.

Sexual dysfunction is intricately tied to our emotions and mind and isn't an easy subject to tackle, let alone from someone's own, personal perspective.

As a result of all the aforesaid it is very difficult to properly assign causality to propecia, vs. a side such as gynecomastia-like symptons.

Clearly, fin can have a negative effect on your sex life; the question is how likely and how profound this impact is.

I also do believe that a man dealing with MPB, and particularly one who goes on propecia and researches the internet, is in a heightened, vulnerable state to experience sexual dysfunction of some variety, further making the waters murky when trying to tackle the problem and it's connection to fin.

-----------

I had some testicular aching that I had never experienced before when I first started fin. It could not have been imaginary because I didn't even know what the side effects were until later. However, it quickly subsided. The drug worked great for the 4 years that I took it before it lost its effectiveness on me.

Now duta I would never touch again even if you paid me a million bucks. My hair was falling out like I was on chemo for the short time I was on it.

Sev, I also experienced that phenomina, and it thankfully subsided like yours.

When fin stopped working for you did it seem to stop altogether, or was it gradual and its potency just leveled off?

-----------

I feel I have to seemingly interject:

I had very little side effects except tectucular pain,penis curving to the left,shrinkage,wrinkling,headaches,decrease in vision,watery semen,brain fog,loss of limbido,increase heart rate,shortness of breathe,increase anger,chest pains,loss of motivation to name a few!

Inevitably buddy the decision is yours.

I would rather just lose my hair naturally to dht and fix the situation with HTs than to put a drug into my system for unknown, extensive periods of time.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com