Hair transplant to lower hairline and reconstruct temples

Hi

I am 22 years old, with hairline recession for 3 or 3 1/2 years now. Family history for balding:- Father-bald. Grandfather-perfect crown with a curved hairline. All paternal and maternal uncles with perfect crowns but curved hairlines. I have decided to get a Ht to lower my hairline and rebuild temples to get a more youthful appearance. I do not really care about future hair loss, as I might not have it but even if i do, my goals and technologies for hair restoration would be different at a later age. I have also attached my most recent photos with a line i wish my hairline to be after hair transplant.

I am considering Shapiro Medicals for the Hair Transplant.

Please suggest number of grafts needed, and if this is a good idea or not.

Any suggestions,advice would be deeply appreciated.

1234.jpg.7717d178a9d04a278e2c762615ed5ba7.jpg

12345.jpg.f12199b929b27c1dc684fa01b352f34f.jpg

123456.jpg.0a7496f146ecc6f9abddef0bd7bd6de2.jpg

1234567.jpg.3e92e1619b75ae9aeae3abc4461a685e.jpg

5b32ccd7553bd_photo(10).jpg.ecfcdd0442914dbb43375ba1e66be108.jpg

Thank you guys.

hair_me_out

I was on propecia for about 4 months with severe side effects, so quit. Wouldn't go near that thing again.

I would have to agree with you guys that i do not suffer from severe hair loss, but it is the hairline that I am concerned with. I mean considering the amount of hair loss i have it might be a good idea to get hairline restored with still a good donor left to address future hair loss.

I know it seems crazy to worry about it so much but i am just 22 and really conscious of my hairline. Cannot really think about anything else for the past 2 years. I do not really care about losing my hair at a later age.

On a second note, why do you think it might be a bad idea to get a ht done now. I mean leaving the complexity of the procedure aside, why could it be a bad idea? Also, I don't think i suffer from excessive hair loss, so why not go ahead with it now.

I really hope Dr. Shapiro considers me as a candidate.

Thank You

i second that.....doesnt look like you need one.....you look like a you all your hair with a mature hairline....doesnt look like any hairloss to me

Hi AdamAj, I just checked out your before and after pictures. Have to say a really good job. I would say that my condition is the similar to yours before the ht. So why do you think i should opt out?

Can I ask how do you feel after getting your hairline lowered?

Bernanky, you are at the age where some guys fear hair loss because they are moving from a juvenile hairline to a mature hairline. When that happens, you will lose 3/8-1/2 inch of hair in the middle and 1 inch or so in the corners (diagonally). This is NOT hair loss, just a natural thing. Some men, like Ronald Reagan, keep their juvenile hairline their whole life but it's rare.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

First of all, look at a 50 year old with a hairline that low, it would look odd and fake. Second, u have no idea what your future holds as far as hairloss. Third, if you are not able to take propecia, you really really need to wait and see what your hairloss partern is, because most people who do not take meds lose hair more severely and rapidly than those who do. You probably do not have enough donor hair to support a hairline like that behind it.

It does not look like hairloss to me, it looks like a natural mans hairline. You are wanting something that is refered to as a "juvenile" hairline. This is not a good idea for a few reasons....which I listed above.

Do yourself a favor, monitor the situation and if you get any real loss, make an appointment with a reputable doctor. People that are in your state tend to jump too quick, get a crappy doctor, and suffer the consequences for the rest of their lives.

Hang out on this board and learn as much as you can...it won't take long. Then when you are educated about hairloss and ht's, you will certianly make a good decision.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Modern Hts done by a top doc look great and very natural. BUT....it will never look 100% natural, especially with dark, coarse hair like yours. Don't get me wrong, a top doc can come close, but you're messing with something that really doesn't need to be messed with. You have a nice hairline, no other loss, and appear to be a decent-looking guy.

I had the same hairline as you in my 20s and never thought once about a HT. Then I had diffuse thinning and crown thinning which spurred my HT journey. If I were you I would get on with life and enjoy what you have.

Also, you might not care about balding when you're older, but if you get a low hairline you will have to transplant behind it if you thin out, otherwise you'll have a row of hair in the front with nothing behind it--it becomes a constant chase. You might not care about thinning, but you won't want to look like a freak either.

Oh, and btw, I'm 38 and care just as much about my hair/appearance now as I did in my 20s.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thank you guys for your feedback.

@ Spanker

Minor 18

Minor 16

I might have been aggressive in drawing the line a bit to close to a juvenile hairline in my pics, but I am trying to achieve somewhere close to these guys's results.

My present hairline does not give me the opportunity to dress my hair as i would like, a little modification ll help me.

Please give your feedbacks

Your too young to really appreciate the consequences of a low hairline like this as I was when I was 22, although I managed to find an unethical scumbag to do this to me.

You may say now that you don't care about the future loss, but when you get to that stage, an HT at 22 will end up being the biggest regret of your life.

SMG are a good clinic and they wouldn't put a 15 year olds hairline on a 22 year old, because no one in the world can say how much hair you will lose.....no one.

They wouldn't want to be responsible for giving you an island of hair at the front of your head. I'm sure you could find an unethical clinic to do this for you but take my advice, don't.

If you were 10 years older with your current hairline you might get a good clinic to do this for you, at the moment get on rogaine and propecia and wait for a while, and know it's not what you want to hear as I know how I felt when I was 22, but it's better to bide your time and not rush things.

Here are two more factors you may not have considered which will hopefully deter you from getting a HT...

1) Cost--you do realize this is a very expensive procedure, right? 2)Post-op appearance--It will be very difficult to disguise the fact that you had a HT from your friends.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I really appreciate your feedbacks guys.

I really had my hopes high, but i guess it is not for me. Just to clear things out i was actually thinking of getting fue done. read somewhere that younger patients wanting to get hairline lowered can benefit from it. I ll still get a phone consultation with SMG.

@hairthere

I have considered the cost of SMG and it is something I can afford right now if its below 2500 grafts, which I am sure it would be. What do you mean by Post op appearance ? Do you mean the next few weeks after the ht or life long?

Thank You guys.

Recovery from HT surgery takes a few months. For the first week you will be dealing with swelling and redness. Then you will likely have redness/pinkness for at least 3-4 months. Also, since it is your hairline being worked on you will have a difference in hair length between the hairline and the hair beyond. My point is that it will be tough to disguise, so be prepared for everyone to know you had work done unless you can wear a hat.

At any rate, I'm glad you're willing to listen to the vets here. I wish I never had to go through this process--it has been a very low point of my 30s. If I had your hair/hairline I'd be very happy, as would most guys dealing with actual mpb. And I do understand you being unhappy with your appearance and wanting to do something about it. But this is not like getting a nose job or any other cosmetic procedure where it's one and done: if you do suffer from mpb you will be in a bad situation down the road. Best of luck!

Edited by hairthere

Please don't find yourself someone who will do this as they are out there, they will mess you up, take a breather like I should of done, and don't look at other people's hairlines with envy, especially hollywood actors as their hair isn't as it seems in most cases.