Shampoo and showers

ny116

Hello everyone,

I recently had a hair transplant 2 days ago. Do you know what is the best shampoo to use? Would a baby shampoo be a good choice? Also, after what day can you resume taking a shower (had a FUT hair transplant surgery - 2000 grafts)?

Thanks in advance

Niel

Hello NY,

I am 1 month post op my 2nd HT.

Baby shampoo is good to use for at least the first two weeks. You can begin gently shampooing at day three. Take a cup & pour some shampoo in it then add some water, mix it a little & gently pour it over your scalp. You should gently use your fingers to clean along the the donor area. It is important to keep it very clean. You don't want to dislodge the grafts so basically just let the shampoo run over the recipient area & clean off any dried blood.

Use the cup method for at least 10 days to 2 weeks. By then the grafts will be secure & you can begin gently rinsing with the shower head.

Also, I used polysporin ointment on my recipient area to prevent scabbing. It is graesy in your hair but apply it prior to swowering & if you can after showering. It worked well for me in preventing scabbing & promoting healing.

Good luck & Grow well!

My doctor's post-op instructions were different than what Atomic has described, and I have read there is a newer train of thought on post-op cleaning. I was told to start shampooing in the cup method (mixing shampoo/water and pouring in a cup) the 2nd night after surgery. Then, 3-10 days post-op return to normal washing.

Dr. Feller feels the grafts are secure 48 hours after and that you must keep the area clean to avoid oil build-up and to help loosen the scabs (although Dr. Feller's work is so refined I have no scabs, just grafts).

There was also a study done by Dr. Bernstein where it was determined that the presence of scabs increases the duration of time that grafts are NOT secured yet. However, they did find that after 10 days, all grafts were secure.

My advice to you, however, would be to follow your own HT doc's post-op care instructions to avoid complications.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I recommend and give baby shampoo to my patients after surgery. I know it will not hurt the grafts as it is very mild. After doing hair transplants for greater then 10 years, I have never had a problem with growth so I know it is not doing any harm to the newly transplanted grafts.

I instruct them to use a plastic glass and pour a combination of water/shampoo over their entire scalp. They will allow the water/shampoo combination to rinse the grafted site, and with their finger, gently rub the donor area to remove any blood they may have accumulated.

They do the pour method for about 5 days, then they can use a low flow/gentle shower to rinse the shampoo out of their hair. If they have a strong shower, then they continue with the pour method for about two weeks.

After 3 weeks or once they shed, they can then go back to their regular shampoo.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.