Which HT surgeons have undergone HTs themselves?

gmonasco

I had a recent consultation with a highly regarded hair restoration surgeon and couldn't help but notice that he had a hair loss pattern similar to mine. Since he himself obviously hadn't had a hair transplant, it got me thinking afterwards, "Hmm ... I wonder if I should infer anything from that?"

So, now I'm wondering: How many hair restoration surgeons are out there who have themselves undergone HT procedures? I know Dr. Rassman had three scalp reduction surgeries(!) twenty years ago, and his associate Dr. Pak told me that he (i.e., Dr. Pak) had had an HT. Who else is in this category?

Edited by gmonasco

Very interesting topic! I actually think quite a few hair restoration physicians either discovered the field while seeking a solution for their own hair loss, or underwent a procedure after performing hair transplantation for a period of time and realizing the potential it could have on their own scalp!

I seem to remember an interview where Dr. Feller discussed his own hair transplant procedure and also a procedure he performed on Dr. Alexander. My personal favorite, however, is Dr. Berstein who I've seen interviewed several times and each time is met with puzzled questions about his chosen career path and own level of hair loss!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Since he himself obviously hadn't had a hair transplant, it got me thinking afterwards, "Hmm ... I wonder if I should infer anything from that?"

gmonasco: What do you think you can infer from this?

Seems like the doctor in question is either comfortable with his hair (or what's left of it) or is dissatisfied with his follicular status but does not want to undertake the risks of correcting it through a HT procedure.

Any surgery has risks, and the risk/reward analysis is individual to each person based on their particular lives, issues and circumstance. Since no surgeon can peform the procedure on himself (other than in that one episode of Nip/Tuck, if you know what I'm talking about), any risk calculus by him would have to do with how good some other doctor is at doing transplants.

I guess you can infer in general that hair transplantation poses risks to anyone, but what else were you wondering about?

Edited by TomCruise

I seem to remember an interview where Dr. Feller discussed his own hair transplant procedure and also a procedure he performed on Dr. Alexander.

Really? I've also seen Dr. Alexander in person, and he didn't look to me like someone who had undergone a hair transplant.

Really? I've also seen Dr. Alexander in person, and he didn't look to me like someone who had undergone a hair transplant.
He's open about, says he wish he had a bigger procedure, he had it done by Dr. fellor who he also did a fellowship with when he left general surgery and cardio surgery and went into private practice as a hair restoration physician.

I think of Alexander as Feller's former pupil, current peer, they do comparable work, Alexander is a little less expensive.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Dr Feller did perform Dr Alexanders HT.

Wow, thanks for the pointer!

As I said, Dr. Alexander is another one of the several hair restoration surgeons I've seen in person, and I would never guess he had undergone a hair transplant: it seemed to me his hairline was rather high and sparse, and he had a noticeable bald spot on his crown. Perhaps my perception is off, but I didn't think his hair looked nearly as good in person as in the post-operative photos in that link -- maybe the pictures were very flattering, or perhaps he's experienced significant additional hair loss in the several years since those procedures were done.

I also was told that Dr Ron Shapiro performed HT for not only many politicians but also to HT doctors, but i couldnt grab a name. But he is in the eyes of many a very very safe choice.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

You will not clock a good HT , just the bad ones.

Yes, I'm amused when I hear people say that they can "always spot a hair transplant." Obviously, if they had ever encountered hair transplants that they didn't recognize as such, they'd never know it.

The very first HT consultation I ever went for was with Hasson & Wong, where of course I met Joetronic. I was fairly new to these boards then, and although I had read some of Joetronic's posts and blog entries, I didn't realize he was the same "Joe" who worked for H&W. So, when Joe initially approached me in the reception area at H&W, one of my first thoughts was "Hey, he has a nice head of hair; I wish I still did." I was really, really surprised to learn that he was the same person as the "Joetronic" whom I'd seen photos of with little more hair on his head than a few old-style transplant plugs in the front.

Sure, if I had been more knowledgeable about hair transplants at the time and had been examining him with a critical eye, maybe I would have spotted him as an HT. But as a lay person not expecting or looking for anything in particular in that regard, the thought didn't cross my mind.

I had a recent consultation with a highly regarded hair restoration surgeon and couldn't help but notice that he had a hair loss pattern similar to mine. Since he himself obviously hadn't had a hair transplant, it got me thinking afterwards, "Hmm ... I wonder if I should infer anything from that?"

Yes, you should. Here's the inference: when you make $2 million a year, hair starts to take a backseat.

Edited by Shadow of the EMpire State

Yes, you should. Here's the inference: when you make $2 million a year, hair starts to take a backseat.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. Plenty of wealthy men still buy into Rogaine, Propecia, hairpieces, hair transplants, etc.

I disagree, i have many fellow ferrari F458 owners who are multi millionaires who are considering HT. When people have money, the more they will look to improve their looks. Insecurity happens to everyone, be it rich or not.

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Only the very most insecure among them.

That statement is meaningless, because one could just as well claim that only "insecure" men (of any background) would care enough about their looks to want a hair transplant in the first place.

Guest Brad Limmer, MD

gmonasco and others...

Dr. Limmer had his procedure done in our office. We have also done several other ISHRS doctors. Obviously I cannot mention their names.

In addition, several staff members, some spouses and siblings have also had their hair restoration procedures done here!

Jessica