Donor scar

If you shave your head to a #1 setting on a razor, the scar from a FUT procedure will be somewhat noticeable, so usually a #2 or #3 are sufficient at hiding it, so about 1/2 inch is enough to hide it well.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

If you shave your head.... the scar..... somewhat noticeable, usually a #2 or #3 are sufficient.......

Dare I say it. Notwithstanding Dr. True's excellent and refined work, in my humble opinion, I find the above to be slightly understated. (especially the 'somewhat' comment)

If I had a signature it would probably be like...

I don't cheer FUE for any other reason than that it offers a line of retreat 10 years down the track. I have issues with FUE only clinics too.

As I presently understand it, FUE cannot be extracted by technicians in most American states (law, plus 'slippery-slide-effect') compelling the doctors to perform the extractions, which in turn shifts the emphasis to strip, which in turn shifts the emphasis to minimizing the scar..etc. if you get my drift.

I don't believe I misrepresented the length necessary to hide a scar. Like I said if you shave to a #1 setting on a razor, it will be noticeable, but with surgery some people heal better than others, so some people can get away with it, but not suggested. A #2 or #3 setting will give you between 1/2 inch-3/4 inch of length and will cover the scar, if the suturing was performed properly.

There are doctors who use technicians for FUE but there are several who do not. So I don't believe surgeons are straying away from FUE because they do not want to do the work, but because some people are not good candidates for the treatment, as well as it not providing them with the most optimal result. FUE limits the amount of total grafts you can get and if a patient comes in with a large balding area, it may not be wise to go the FUE route but rather the more efficient FUT. Then again these are the questions the patient must ask themselves before being treated.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Did you see my recent photos on this other thread: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/159300-pictures-uploaded-fue-strip.html

This is as short as I would ever wear the sides and back, a bit less than 1/2".

For me the scar is a non-issue and I walk around in bright daylight in public and no one seems to notice, even though it is still a bit red. My density or hair thickness is not great either to hide it.

BTW I saw your other post. IMO FUT is the far superior technique if you need alot of grafts. If it was 2X as expensive as FUE I still would have done FUT for sure!

If you shave your head to a #1 setting on a razor, the scar from a FUT procedure will be somewhat noticeable, so usually a #2 or #3 are sufficient at hiding it, so about 1/2 inch is enough to hide it well.
Edited by EpilepticSceptic

If my pattern was established already, or if I knew with certainty that my donor wouldn't thin, or if I knew for sure that I would be satisfied with a bald crown if I bald extensively, then I would go for strip in a heartbeat and not worry at all about the scar. If you go to a good physician, and your physiology is good, you should be able to get away with a 3 or 4 guard on the sides without the scar being visible.

I think Thehairupthere is right but there's always a risk. If you have the right doctor the scarring should (hopefully) be minimal even with shorter hair, but sometimes scars can be pretty big.

Absolutley, as Dr Lindsay said a week or so back,

"And scalp laxity is like a box of chocolates....you just don't know until you excise the strip how loose a scalp will be. As closure tension has a direct relationship with scarring..., " I know he was referring to another point at the time, but it is a pertinent truth. My best and worst scars came from the same doctor!!

A lot of people say that the strip scar is a non-issue for years after they get it. (some start even weeks/months after their first procedure) I understand that, because for about 8 years I didn't care too, as I could hide it. There was no web back then, but it WAS a non issue. 15 years later I was in a terrible place because of scarring.

There are doctors who use technicians for FUE but there are several who do not. So I don't believe surgeons are straying away from FUE because they do not want to do the work, .

Docs don't like doing it unless it's 'their thing' do to speak.

As for techs doing extractions to alleviate them, it is not as straight forward.

From the ISHRS, posted on the the technicians website (make of that site what you will!)

The ISHRS has put out a statement regarding non-physicians excising follicles, they are against it in any form. So the companies that are selling Automated FUE devices, and telling doctors that it is ok to hair transplant technicians to do the extractions during FUE are not giving accurate information. Check with your state laws before buying any of these devices thinking that the techs can do the the procedure.