Planning Strip Hair Transplant at H&Ws...

I'm thinking of going for a hair transplant at H&Ws to fill in my receded temples. I'm very young though, almost 23. I guess I feel that with propecia and I can stall any future fair loss for the next little while (Taken in for 7 months with good results).

If I continue to lose hair I'll still have plenty of grafts from my donor hair for extra procedures I may need down the road. The bottomline is I want to have hair when I'm young and in my 20s. I feel awful the way it is.

Also, it's much easier to hide thinning hair in the middle of my scalp then it is to mask hair loss from my hairline. Hair concealers like toppik don't work for hairlines but they'll work for any extra diffuse loss I may have above the hairline.

Here's a pic of my hair situation with my hair buzzed:

img0348ii.jpg

Thoughts? I know I'm young and don't know the pattern of my hair loss, but I'm miserable the way my hair is now. And like I said, as long as I stay on propecia, and have a conservative long term plan for future hair procedures, I think I'm making a safe decision.

H&W is an amazing clinic. But if you want to keep your hair real short then you should opt for an FUE procedure over a strip. If you don't know the difference, start studying up.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

No, I prefer my hair long. And I do know the difference. I just buzzed my hair to see if I could handle having that style and I definitely do NOT want short hair. However, if my hair does continue to recede and I have to buzz or shave my head I don't really care about a scar. There's ways of removing scars, and worst comes to worst I'll just make up a cool story or something.

Where to start?

You're a young guy-- and you're receding.

Your friends and family have noticed-- they've even made comments. And man, those comments sting, don't they? You go around looking at other guys great hairlines and think "why me"?

You're worried about getting laid-- hey, girls like hair. And if you don't do something about about your receding hairline soon, you're going to end up a monk.

Man, you'd give anything if you could just have that hairline you had a few years ago, when you were 17 or 18. In fact, that's what you're hoping for with a hair transplant. You don't need a lot-- just fill in the temples.

With this transplant, you're being pro active. You're going to to "stay ahead of your hair loss". And if you need another transplant down the road due to more hair loss, so what? you'll just get another. But that's years away and not much of a concern right now, is it?

How am I doing? does that about sum it up?

If you get a transplant now, you might very well end up chasing your future hair loss for the next 20 years.

Maybe Propecia will stop any loss. Maybe it won't. Maybe you'll decide for some reason to stop taking it.

And if you lose more hair behind the temple transplants, then what? More surgery?

Suppose you have shock loss around your temple area and donor? Are you prepared for that?

Getting another procedure down the road seems easy enough right now, but suppose your circumstances or priorities change and its not feasible?

I don't know you, but you seem awfully young and blase' about the procedure and potential scarring, etc.

Personally, I think a person your age with your degree of loss is crazy to go under the knife. You should be a least a Norwood 5 and have a very clear picture of your balding pattern. But that's me.

I see a number of red flags and think you could easily be one of those guys who ends up regretting their procedure and ends up on these boards asking advice on how to "reverse a hair transplant".

Ultimately you have to do your research and make your own call.

But if you're chasing your teen hairline and concerned about not getting laid because of your receding hairline, then you're making a huge mistake.

Hal

Oh Christopher you sound exactly like me 12 years ago. Just before my first ht I shaved my head to see how I felt. I didn't really like it and others hated it. Shortly after my first ht believe it or not I enlisted in the Armed Forces. There I told every one the craziest stories. They believed me but my self conscious state of mind went through the roof. It drove me nuts when others stood behind me in lines. No one ever disrespected me because people were never the problem it was me, it was all in my head from the very beginning. I gave up a beautifully shaved head for something a million times worst. Well 2 surgeries later I'm still trying to correct the problem, and after my next one I should be okay.

Go with your gut feelings on this and know what you're getting into.

Where to start?

You're a young guy-- and you're receding.

Your friends and family have noticed-- they've even made comments. And man, those comments sting, don't they? You go around looking at other guys great hairlines and think "why me"?

You're worried about getting laid-- hey, girls like hair. And if you don't do something about about your receding hairline soon, you're going to end up a monk.

Man, you'd give anything if you could just have that hairline you had a few years ago, when you were 17 or 18. In fact, that's what you're hoping for with a hair transplant. You don't need a lot-- just fill in the temples.

With this transplant, you're being pro active. You're going to to "stay ahead of your hair loss". And if you need another transplant down the road due to more hair loss, so what? you'll just get another. But that's years away and not much of a concern right now, is it?

How am I doing? does that about sum it up?

If you get a transplant now, you might very well end up chasing your future hair loss for the next 20 years.

Maybe Propecia will stop any loss. Maybe it won't. Maybe you'll decide for some reason to stop taking it.

And if you lose more hair behind the temple transplants, then what? More surgery?

Suppose you have shock loss around your temple area and donor? Are you prepared for that?

Getting another procedure down the road seems easy enough right now, but suppose your circumstances or priorities change and its not feasible?

I don't know you, but you seem awfully young and blase' about the procedure and potential scarring, etc.

Personally, I think a person your age with your degree of loss is crazy to go under the knife. You should be a least a Norwood 5 and have a very clear picture of your balding pattern. But that's me.

I see a number of red flags and think you could easily be one of those guys who ends up regretting their procedure and ends up on these boards asking advice on how to "reverse a hair transplant".

Ultimately you have to do your research and make your own call.

But if you're chasing your teen hairline and concerned about not getting laid because of your receding hairline, then you're making a huge mistake.

Hal

Hey, I appreciate the response.

You're pretty much bang on, although I have a girlfriend so I'm not overly worried about getting laid.

I guess I don't understand yours and others rationale. You want me to wait and get balder and more miserable... and then have a hair transplant? I like the notion that I can have a hair transplant now and feel good about myself, perhaps enjoy my 20s instead of being the balding dude. It's not like I won't be able to have another transplant down the road if need be, and like I said, I've taken propecia for a significant amount of time and it's working from what I can tell. I realize how cavalier and almost ignorant the first part of that sentence sounds to many, but I'm financially stable and I don't see any foreseeable obstacles on that front -- although that isn't to suggest I'm not aware of the unpredictability of life and the possibility that I won't be able to get a transplant on the drop of a dime.

All I can say is that I've done countless hours of research and I'm aware of the risks. I know I'm young, I know there's a probably chance I'm in for more hair loss, etc. But I don't get why people want young people to wait and feel ostracized when there's practical solutions to remedy how they feel. It doesn't make sense to me.

Also, I'm not looking for a teenage hairline, as I've discussed with the doctors, I'd like a conservative hairline that conservatively manages the amount of grafts used in preparation for future hair transplants. Hopefully by that time technology has caught up though and I won't have to worry about managing donor hair.

Okay2land, can you go into more details about what happened? The good news is that technology has come a long ways since 12 years ago -- for one, you probably didn't have the aid of propecia to stall hair loss...

Edited by ChristopherJ

But I don't get why people want young people to wait and feel ostracized when there's practical solutions to remedy how they feel. It doesn't make sense to me.

It's kind of like asking why you shouldn't spend all your money right now on stuff you enjoy instead of saving any of it for the future. Your circumstances will likely be very different in the future in ways you can't anticipate, and you'll find yourself regretting that you blew everything chasing ephemeral pleasures to the sacrifice of long-term happiness and stability.

It's kind of like asking why you shouldn't spend all your money right now on stuff you enjoy instead of saving any of it for the future. Your circumstances will likely be very different in the future in ways you can't anticipate, and you'll find yourself regretting that you blew everything chasing ephemeral pleasures to the sacrifice of long-term happiness and stability.

Except I'm not chasing everything, I'm using a conservative portion of my donor supply to

give myself sone form of a hairline... I'm not wasting 'all my money' at all.

I'm not wasting 'all my money' at all.

But you are. You're giving up your option to ever cut your hair shorter than a given length again (without displaying a linear scar), and you're committing yourself to additional future procedures to keep up as your hair loss continues.

If I continue to lose hair I'll still have plenty of grafts from my donor hair for extra procedures I may need down the road. I know I'm young and don't know the pattern of my hair loss ...

If you don't know the pattern of your future hair loss, you can't definitively state that you'll "still have plenty of grafts from donor hair for extra procedures."

I guess I feel that with propecia and I can stall any future fair loss for the next little while

Keep in mind that Propecia is not a magic bullet. It doesn't work for everyone, its results are variable, and at best it only slows hair loss (it doesn't stop it completely). You can't know how well it's going to work for you long-term after having taken it for just seven months.

But you are. You're giving up your option to ever cut your hair shorter than a given length again (without displaying a linear scar), and you're committing yourself to additional future procedures to keep up as your hair loss continues.

If you don't know the pattern of your future hair loss, you can't definitively state that you'll "still have plenty of grafts from donor hair for extra procedures."

Keep in mind that Propecia is not a magic bullet. It doesn't work for everyone, its results are variable, and at best it only slows hair loss (it doesn't stop it completely). You can't know how well it's going to work for you long-term after having taken it for just seven months.

Well, I'd argue that I'm not wasting money. Like I said, if worst comes to worst I genuinely do not care having a scar on my head. There's also scar reduction surgeries. Furthermore, I've already acknowledged the fact that I could likely lose more hair post transplant, but I'd like to have a hairline in my 20s while I can. Your idea of waiting out my pattern seems llogical to some extent, but it's almost like pick your poison. Either I continue to rock my receded hairline and feel bad in my 20s and then get a procedure in my 30s, or I get my transplant and feel good about myself and then face whatever challenges that come along as they go.

The bottom-line is that life is short and I'd rather feel good while I can. Having said that, I have stilled prepared in a conservative fashion for future hair loss, and if I have to shave or buzz my hair I honestly don't care about a scar. I already have a large scar higher up on the back of my head and I haven't cared in the slightest about it showing when I've had my hair buzzed previously.

You are still taking one heck of a chance. In effect, you're rolling the dice, hoping everything works out right.

Maybe your plan will work, maybe it won't.

Reading over your replies in the thread, my concerns for you are as follows:

1). You say you are miserable and want to "enjoy your 20's" and not worry about your hair. Many is the guy who has thought that only to find out that a hair transplant was just the start of their worries. My concern is that you won't be happy with the transplant, or you'll start to loss more hair behind it. Instead of "solving" your hair problems, you'll just be trading one set of concerns/problems for another. This by the way is the same thing that guys who opt for hair pieces go through. I just don't think you have the right mental attitude.

2). You don't see to be looking at the long term. Its as if you think life stops at 30 or something. As other have pointed out, life can do funny things to even the best considered plans. You may not believe this, but your hair issues may one day take a back seat to other priorities. 10 or 15 years from now, you'll probably look back and wonder why you wasted so much time worrying about this issue. That's not to say it still won't bug you and that you'll want to do something about it-- only that it won't seem like the end of the world as it does now.

A hair transplant can be the right choice for the right candidate at the right time in life. I just don't think that's you at this point.

I understand that's not what you want to hear-- basically, you think a transplant is going to solve your hair problems, at least for the short term. And for the future? well, you'll deal with that as it comes up and surely there will be options. Isn't that about the situation?

As I said in my earlier post, that kind of thinking (and those expectations) just throw up a lot of red flags-- at least to me.

Hal

You are still taking one heck of a chance. In effect, you're rolling the dice, hoping everything works out right.

Maybe your plan will work, maybe it won't.

Reading over your replies in the thread, my concerns for you are as follows:

1). You say you are miserable and want to "enjoy your 20's" and not worry about your hair. Many is the guy who has thought that only to find out that a hair transplant was just the start of their worries. My concern is that you won't be happy with the transplant, or you'll start to loss more hair behind it. Instead of "solving" your hair problems, you'll just be trading one set of concerns/problems for another. This by the way is the same thing that guys who opt for hair pieces go through. I just don't think you have the right mental attitude.

2). You don't see to be looking at the long term. Its as if you think life stops at 30 or something. As other have pointed out, life can do funny things to even the best considered plans. You may not believe this, but your hair issues may one day take a back seat to other priorities. 10 or 15 years from now, you'll probably look back and wonder why you wasted so much time worrying about this issue. That's not to say it still won't bug you and that you'll want to do something about it-- only that it won't seem like the end of the world as it does now.

A hair transplant can be the right choice for the right candidate at the right time in life. I just don't think that's you at this point.

I understand that's not what you want to hear-- basically, you think a transplant is going to solve your hair problems, at least for the short term. And for the future? well, you'll deal with that as it comes up and surely there will be options. Isn't that about the situation?

As I said in my earlier post, that kind of thinking (and those expectations) just throw up a lot of red flags-- at least to me.

Hal

I appreciate the response.

What do you suggest I do? The thing about waiting until my hair loss pattern shows and taking propecia is that they contradict one another. If I take propecia it will stall my hair loss and therefore only mask my natural hair loss pattern. So I don't understand when the 'right time' is for a hair transplant?

And I'm not miserable, that's a silly exaggeration on my part. But I am quite frustrated. In a moment of madness I buzzed my hair but I've masked it fairly well with longish hair. It's just a lot of work and very tiresome sometimes.

There's ways of removing scars, and worst comes to worst I'll just make up a cool story or something.

haha:)

I am the evil bastard you will meet in your job somewhere. I can't wait to meet you! You are the kind of person that really makes me salivate! I will be nice to you often and I will not let you forget that scar, and I will not let you forget I have the power to tell everyone in your office the reason you got it!!! Including those sweet people over there who are really unassuming.

You don't care about the scar, that's great!!! Good for you, just think about millions of years of evolution and competitive behavior among males and tell God you don't care about the scar!

I don't mean to be the tough love guy, and I know I am pretty bad at it, but it is my way of saying, be careful about what you tell yourself.

HTs can be good, but never think you can bluff your way out of it.

Hi ChristopherJ

I have just a couple of queries and statements to make regarding your recent decision to opt for FUT transplantation.

Have you contacted the Hasson and Wong clinic (Joe or Doug?) with photos to receive a proper evaluation of your current hair loss situation? If not then this would be a wise decision especially to find out if you are indeed going to make a good candidate for Surgery. Many hair loss sufferers around your age who I have seen floating around the forums describing very similar circumstances to yourself have made identical declarations when discussing a prospective scar. Why has FUE not been addressed? What is your current understanding of FUE? Have you approached clinics discussing your concerns (with photos) whom are offering this technique? Exploring all procedure options is definitely a MUST when deciding on any form of surgery.

You have claimed throughout your posts that this factor of sporting a scar will not phase nor deter your decision to go under the surgical knife.

Regardless of the amount of research you may have conducted surrounding this topic I honestly hope you do understand that once the surgery is complete and you have been left scarred as a result of this process future scar revision surgery will only aid the dimension previously set. A surgical scar is very difficult to remove, also noting that the revision will only increase the likelihood of stretching.

I would strongly recommend looking outside the box, amend your research and commence an investigation into closure techniques/scar revisions etc. This is not intended to come across in a condescending manner.

I cannot sit here completely judging you on your philosophies, I too was at your age and in very similar shape with my hair loss (technically I still am), and a receding hairline is obviously situated within a very difficult section to conceal. I went through all the similar motions as you or anybody posting on this forum would of/may have gone through and blatantly putting it, the experience sucks! I have also been advised by consultants and physicians (long ago) too simply “wait it out”, during this occasion going out of my arrogant mind of course. Reminiscing now however, this was the best option I ever took relating to my hair loss battle, now at 28 with my knowledge intact all spontaneous decision making relating to HT surgery is a thing of the past. There are many highly educated and fantastic people posting on this site mate, I strongly suggest taking their advice on board.

Looking at the photo you originally posted it is somewhat complicated to assess the future pattern of loss, I can however confirm the sign of recession, but would not say this is terribly prominent (with the buzzed style that is). Seeing as though you have only been consistently taking Fin for 7 months it is far too early to determine the probability of success with this medication. Has the thought of adding Minox into your current regimen come into play?

Like others have mentioned during the discussion, sticking it out for a slightly longer period of time will only benefit the outcome.

I will be brutally honest with my final conclusion; please do not view this as being victimised. I am honestly only attempting to assist you in making the correct decision.

If I were a HT physician or represented a HT physician in a consultancy type role and stumbled across your post I would basically note that you are truly not yet ready for a HT procedure at this particular point in time.

Mate I realise the responses posted are not exactly what you would like to be reading right now, but one of the main focuses of this forum is to further educate and hinder poor decision making.

To this very day I am still yet to make an exact selection on physician and procedure type, a far better situation to display in my honest opinion rather than having described to you a poor decision of the past.

Feel free to PM me anytime, but would always firstly insist on speaking with one of the many super HT educated consultants posting online such as Spex or Mattj etc…

Cheers,

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

haha:)

I am the evil bastard you will meet in your job somewhere. I can't wait to meet you! You are the kind of person that really makes me salivate! I will be nice to you often and I will not let you forget that scar, and I will not let you forget I have the power to tell everyone in your office the reason you got it!!! Including those sweet people over there who are really unassuming.

You don't care about the scar, that's great!!! Good for you, just think about millions of years of evolution and competitive behavior among males and tell God you don't care about the scar!

I don't mean to be the tough love guy, and I know I am pretty bad at it, but it is my way of saying, be careful about what you tell yourself.

HTs can be good, but never think you can bluff your way out of it.

Exactly! When I was in the Army people wasn't too harsh to my face but behind my back I was known as the "crazy scar guy". Right after that first group buzz cut everyone sees in the movies, guys made comments like " damn that is one nice size cut you have there", " don't worry we'll get used it". During a marching drill I stumbled a right turn and the drill sgt yelled out " I guess that brain surgery didn't help you huh?".

We do indeed live in a tough world and yes I did survived, but was it worth the humiliation and the half dozen fist fights? LoL that's a joke. What I wanted at the time of the first HT is not what i wanted down the road. And like having kids this decision cannot be reversed.

I appreciate the response.

What do you suggest I do? The thing about waiting until my hair loss pattern shows and taking propecia is that they contradict one another. If I take propecia it will stall my hair loss and therefore only mask my natural hair loss pattern. So I don't understand when the 'right time' is for a hair transplant?

Ultimately, you have to make the call and live with the decision.

What I mean by the "right time" for an HT is when age, experience, financial conditions, known (and proven) surgeon/clinic skill, known balding pattern, known donor supply/condition, expectations, and degree of hair loss all dovetail together and an informed decision can be made.

In a nut shell, you want to be a 45 year old guy in a solid financial situation whose balding is fairly well along and who is not concerned about getting chicks at the clubs. Or whose concerned what his 20 something buddies are saying at the pool party. :) (that's a little tongue in cheek, but you get what I'm saying I hope)

But anyway---

My advice to a guy in your shoes would be to at least be on Propecia for at least 18 months to 2 years. That way you can really see what it can do for you. You'll see if there are any sides and what degree of stabilization/re-growth you get.

I should also say that I'm not a big fan of playing with your body's chemistry and wouldn't take Propecia myself, but that's another conversation.

Ultimately, you are going to be counting on Propecia for quite a lot, correct? If you move ahead with the transplant to the temples, you need to be sure you will not lose hair behind the transplant and end up chasing your hair loss. That's the big danger.

Because if that happens, you're going to end up with multiple surgeries, multiple scars, a depleted donor area, (probably) a tight and/or numb scalp, and I be willing to bet you wouldn't be happy with the results. Plus the fact that the state of your hair will consume you for the next 10 or 15 years. And of course a huge financial drain.

So if you go ahead with the transplant, you're going to have to depend on Propecia-- for life. You'll be worried about sides or if it will one day stop working. Those thoughts are going to be constantly with you. Are you prepared for that? is that any better than worrying about your current recession? see what I mean by trading one set of issues/concerns for another?

You also mention that you can mostly hide your recession with longer hair but that it takes a lot of work. I'm assuming fussing in the morning, maybe using a cover product, etc. Maybe worrying about wind, water, and weather. Well, welcome to the club! you needn't feel special about it.

So your current hair loss is not that bad and you can mostly hide it with longer hair, which you state is your preference anyway.

You're on Propecia, which you've recently started. You've started your research and seem willing listen and learn. You've also showed good judgment in looking to a top rated clinic (H&W) for a possible future procedure.

For the present, I think you're in good shape. Give the Propecia (if that's your choice to take it) another year to 18 months and the re-evaluate a surgical option.

That would be my call, but again, you have to make the decision and live with it.

Hal

Hey bro,

I read your post and some of the comments but not all. I just had my second hair transplant and it has really changed my life. I remember times I would go out in public and worried who was looking etc. Im a competitive bodybuilder so my looks have always been important as I get that kind of attention. Anyway, its really all about cost. If you have the funds then by all means do it. Rogaine and all the other stuff is a big waste. It think Finasteride is good to protect further hair loss but not to regrow hair.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message. I know a lot about the procedures in case you want to know more.

Ken

Hi ChristopherJ

I have just a couple of queries and statements to make regarding your recent decision to opt for FUT transplantation.

Have you contacted the Hasson and Wong clinic (Joe or Doug?) with photos to receive a proper evaluation of your current hair loss situation? If not then this would be a wise decision especially to find out if you are indeed going to make a good candidate for Surgery. Many hair loss sufferers around your age who I have seen floating around the forums describing very similar circumstances to yourself have made identical declarations when discussing a prospective scar. Why has FUE not been addressed? What is your current understanding of FUE? Have you approached clinics discussing your concerns (with photos) whom are offering this technique? Exploring all procedure options is definitely a MUST when deciding on any form of surgery.

You have claimed throughout your posts that this factor of sporting a scar will not phase nor deter your decision to go under the surgical knife.

Regardless of the amount of research you may have conducted surrounding this topic I honestly hope you do understand that once the surgery is complete and you have been left scarred as a result of this process future scar revision surgery will only aid the dimension previously set. A surgical scar is very difficult to remove, also noting that the revision will only increase the likelihood of stretching.

I would strongly recommend looking outside the box, amend your research and commence an investigation into closure techniques/scar revisions etc. This is not intended to come across in a condescending manner.

I cannot sit here completely judging you on your philosophies, I too was at your age and in very similar shape with my hair loss (technically I still am), and a receding hairline is obviously situated within a very difficult section to conceal. I went through all the similar motions as you or anybody posting on this forum would of/may have gone through and blatantly putting it, the experience sucks! I have also been advised by consultants and physicians (long ago) too simply “wait it out”, during this occasion going out of my arrogant mind of course. Reminiscing now however, this was the best option I ever took relating to my hair loss battle, now at 28 with my knowledge intact all spontaneous decision making relating to HT surgery is a thing of the past. There are many highly educated and fantastic people posting on this site mate, I strongly suggest taking their advice on board.

Looking at the photo you originally posted it is somewhat complicated to assess the future pattern of loss, I can however confirm the sign of recession, but would not say this is terribly prominent (with the buzzed style that is). Seeing as though you have only been consistently taking Fin for 7 months it is far too early to determine the probability of success with this medication. Has the thought of adding Minox into your current regimen come into play?

Like others have mentioned during the discussion, sticking it out for a slightly longer period of time will only benefit the outcome.

I will be brutally honest with my final conclusion; please do not view this as being victimised. I am honestly only attempting to assist you in making the correct decision.

If I were a HT physician or represented a HT physician in a consultancy type role and stumbled across your post I would basically note that you are truly not yet ready for a HT procedure at this particular point in time.

Mate I realise the responses posted are not exactly what you would like to be reading right now, but one of the main focuses of this forum is to further educate and hinder poor decision making.

To this very day I am still yet to make an exact selection on physician and procedure type, a far better situation to display in my honest opinion rather than having described to you a poor decision of the past.

Feel free to PM me anytime, but would always firstly insist on speaking with one of the many super HT educated consultants posting online such as Spex or Mattj etc…

Cheers,

Really appreciate the response.

I actually did contact Hasson and Wong, and met with Doug and Dr. Wong. They said I was an ideal candidate because I had thick density, lots of donor hair, and I was realistic and conservative in my expectations. Having said that, I only met with Dr. Wong for about 5 minutes and I never truly felt comfortable in their assessment. It's not really their fault, I did tell them propecia had worked to stall my hair loss... however, to be honest, I'm not entirely positive of this. It has definitely slowed down the process, but I still lose some hairs... I haven't been able to conclude one way or the other whether my hairline has still receded since propecia. But you and others are likely right, I need a longer period of time to truly judge its effectiveness.

I have not looked into FUE. I understand its benefits, but I know Hasson and Wong have proven results using the strip method. I don't really have the capacity to travel too far to search out these places, which is another reason I like H&W -- I live a 10 minute drive away. But I can definitely see the benefit of FUE, I just have no idea where to begin looking within Vancouver.

I've admittedly come off as pretty naive about the scar issue. You don't come off as condescending at all, it's something I'll have to look into later on. I guess the idea of a scar hasn't concerned me since I already have a prominent scar on the back of my head, and was never bothered by anyone about it when I had my hair buzzed a couple of years ago. And the plan is to have hair, right? So I guess the scar issue never truly crossed my mind, although in hindsight, perhaps it could be a factor later on down the road.

And nope, I have not tried minox... it's something I really don't want to try, but who knows, I may become desperate enough. It's just a very high maintenance product, and I have pretty sensitive skin as it is... I just don't foresee it working. And after using a bit of toppik around the thinning portions of my corner hairlines I guess it doesn't look that bad.

Ultimately, you have to make the call and live with the decision.

What I mean by the "right time" for an HT is when age, experience, financial conditions, known (and proven) surgeon/clinic skill, known balding pattern, known donor supply/condition, expectations, and degree of hair loss all dovetail together and an informed decision can be made.

In a nut shell, you want to be a 45 year old guy in a solid financial situation whose balding is fairly well along and who is not concerned about getting chicks at the clubs. Or whose concerned what his 20 something buddies are saying at the pool party. :) (that's a little tongue in cheek, but you get what I'm saying I hope)

But anyway---

My advice to a guy in your shoes would be to at least be on Propecia for at least 18 months to 2 years. That way you can really see what it can do for you. You'll see if there are any sides and what degree of stabilization/re-growth you get.

I should also say that I'm not a big fan of playing with your body's chemistry and wouldn't take Propecia myself, but that's another conversation.

Ultimately, you are going to be counting on Propecia for quite a lot, correct? If you move ahead with the transplant to the temples, you need to be sure you will not lose hair behind the transplant and end up chasing your hair loss. That's the big danger.

Because if that happens, you're going to end up with multiple surgeries, multiple scars, a depleted donor area, (probably) a tight and/or numb scalp, and I be willing to bet you wouldn't be happy with the results. Plus the fact that the state of your hair will consume you for the next 10 or 15 years. And of course a huge financial drain.

So if you go ahead with the transplant, you're going to have to depend on Propecia-- for life. You'll be worried about sides or if it will one day stop working. Those thoughts are going to be constantly with you. Are you prepared for that? is that any better than worrying about your current recession? see what I mean by trading one set of issues/concerns for another?

You also mention that you can mostly hide your recession with longer hair but that it takes a lot of work. I'm assuming fussing in the morning, maybe using a cover product, etc. Maybe worrying about wind, water, and weather. Well, welcome to the club! you needn't feel special about it.

So your current hair loss is not that bad and you can mostly hide it with longer hair, which you state is your preference anyway.

You're on Propecia, which you've recently started. You've started your research and seem willing listen and learn. You've also showed good judgment in looking to a top rated clinic (H&W) for a possible future procedure.

For the present, I think you're in good shape. Give the Propecia (if that's your choice to take it) another year to 18 months and the re-evaluate a surgical option.

That would be my call, but again, you have to make the decision and live with it.

Hal

Your rationale sounds more logical by the hour. Thanks for the response and the honesty, I will definitely consider all your guys input. I'm very strongly leaning to the 'just deal with what you got' side of the fence at this juncture. We'll see how things are in the near future.

My first choice would be to do nothing until you're 30. If you're heading for a diffuse NW6 or 7 then a strip will be a disaster later in life. Go to a senior center and observe. What would you tell the NW6 horseshoe guys if they asked you if they should get a HT?

Choice 2 would be a few thousand FUE. It might give you what you want, or it might convince you not to do any more. A HT never restores natural youthful density. It's a compromise. I'm not sure if you understand that.

But, really, at 23 you are too young to have a HT. It's kind of like doing a double-D boob job on a 14 year old girl. There's just so many things that could go wrong, so many potential future regrets.

Since you live so close to H&W you should try to meet several patients.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog

• 10 months later...

Hey everyone,

Just a short update.

I didn't go through with the hair transplant, thank god. I really appreciate the advice given to me on here because it definitely made the difference. I was three days from going through with a transplant that would never have worked because I'm still losing hair.

Because I still continued to lose hair, coupled with some sexual side effects, I've gotten off propecia starting about two months ago. What has helped me is that I guess abooouuut nine months ago I started using toppik. It's been a wonder in helping me get over the psychological burden of balding. It appears as if I have a moderately full set of hair, even though I don't at all.

Of course, there are problems with this. I really don't go anywhere without it, unless I'm wearing a hat. I have a new girlfriend, who I've been dating for 9 months, and she has NEVER seen me without my 'toppik hair'. She assumes I have a lot more hair than I do. We're moving in together in January and we've agreed to move from Vancouver to Ottawa (from western to eastern Canada) for her school.

What stresses me out is that the hair loss has escalated. I don't dare pull at my hair because I know I'll grab one or two strands every time. And of course, as you may have already predicted, I'm very worried that she will in short time find out I'm going bald. That scares me. We love each other and I assume nothing will change. But at the same time I'm only 23 and I don't look good bald. If she isn't attracted to me physically anymore will it work out? Girls say confidence is what really matters, and on the outside I have a confident personality, but on the inside this is slowly eating me alive.

I can only dump so much toppik on my head, ya know?

I guess my update is more a search for advice. If you're in my situation do you just tell the girlfriend "hey, I'm going bald, deal with it". Or do I not risk it and just maintain the illusion as long as possible?

Here's a pic of me with my toppik hair attached.

jh.jpg.a7812edb2f60f013d72cd9a2574c7ef6.jpg

Good call waiting on the transplant. Losing hair at such a young age means you are probably heading for an advanced pattern a few years down the road.

It's too bad you had to get off of propecia. You didn't mention side effects before - odd that they arose after being on it for such a long period of time. Have you considered rogaine foam or Avodart?

If you are going to live with your girlfriend she'll probably end up finding the toppik sooner or later. You'll probably need to explain the product. Just be prepared...

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Dude you might not even go bald or that bald. I have two NW6 grandfathers and I started losing my hair at 17. Guess what? I'm still NW2 at 37 with little in the way of treatments. Like you I had some significant side effects from Propecia. My brothers have zero hair loss. Try not to worry about it too much.

About the chick thing. I told my girfriend (going on 5 years at the time) about my hairloss. She said it always looked the same to her, but she didn't like my hair anyways lol We're married now. If the girl is worth anything she won't care.

Good on you for waiting. I'm still scared of the scar from strip even at my age. FUE might be an equivalent option by the time you need/if you need a transplant.

Really appreciate the response.

And nope, I have not tried minox... it's something I really don't want to try, but who knows, I may become desperate enough. It's just a very high maintenance product, and I have pretty sensitive skin as it is... I just don't foresee it working. And after using a bit of toppik around the thinning portions of my corner hairlines I guess it doesn't look that bad.

I went a few years with minodoxil and saw it sloweddown my receding hair slightly. Then I switched to finasteride for a couple of years and it slowed down my receding hair slightly also. It is only in the last few months that I've tried both at once, and I have been seeing many new hairs. I'm now 30 with quite a receded hairline and had hairs popping up in areas there hasn't been any since I was 20. (I have also been using revita shampoo which may or may not have an impact here also).

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss minodoxil if I were you - it takes about 1 minute to apply in the morning and the same in the evening, hardly what I'd consider high maintenance.