Years of deliberation and procrastinating

MusoInOz

Hi Everybody! ("Hi Dr Nick!")

*Terrible I know, however do press on*

I am 28 Years old from Sunny Australia. I have been an extremely LONG time lurker/observer and occasionally joined this forum using other emails posting in small sections here and there (I honestly could not remember my previous handle names) I do apologise to the moderators, obviously I never stirred any form of trouble.

Quick? overview of my Hair loss adventure(s)

2002 19yrs Old: Noticed very minimal thinning to my hairline immediately got onto Minox.

2003 Hairline was stable however some slight general thinning over my scalp...Very slight, potentially it may have been in my head.

2004 Advanced Hair Laser Therapy, I may have been better off investing in BETA Tapes??!! Hair loss was still stable

2005 Enter the addition of Fin, hair seemed to thicken up over scalp. Recession did not accelerate.

2006 Decided to try Spiro Cream 5mg, I cannot safely state if this product assisted, my situation remained the same.

2007 Discontinued Spiro due to cost and laziness.

2008 Welcome Minox 15% or was it 12%?? I do apologise I have just finished work my brain function is somewhat slooowwww... This addition did not really provide any noticeable change. If you are looking for expensive glue this may be your product!!

2009 Continued with Minox/Fin regimen which has provided me with great defence during battle. Oh I did add Nanogen Shampoo and Nanofibers. I quite like the fibres as I do not really need much to add hairline density and a small portion for the crown.

2010 Continuation of the products listed above, no real change in many years possibly slight overall thinning but as I stated earlier I tend to critique my situation worse than other (As I am sure you all would).

2011 I have just changed to the New Nanogen Shampoo/Conditioner I will update on this product later, so far it seems to be better than the shampoo they previously had, slightly more smoother finish.

So to recap: I noticed thinning around 20ish realistically in my hairline, during this course hair has somewhat thinned all over however I had extremely thick hair (and shafts) to this day I am told on a daily basis how thick my hair is my co-workers etc, this is whilst not utilising Nanofibers, concealer is a weekend warrior top up for me which can sometimes make my hair slightly too thick (dare I say).

* I am NOT a Nanogen Sales Rep please note this, I merely enjoy some of the products they have on offer.*

I am sorry for the introduction, just better reveals the entire story and process.

Onto my Hair Transplant Research:

I don not believe it is a necessity to join a forum and comment on every single post to hold a good solid foundation of knowledge with this particular topic. Although I intend to do said action previously felt this was not required.

I would definitely say I am heavily researched on particular physicians, treatments, procedures, costs, expectations, planning etc...clearly you get the point. The reason I am disclosing so much information will hopefully hinder comments from experienced forum members insinuating that I am a "Newbie".

I have been in contact with most of the major Northern American clinics via email/ internet consultation...as well as many European Clinics. May I add contacted a few Australian clinics....waste of time, I work in sales and they are direct salesman over here. Results were not horrible the overall work was just very under par in comparison to other Top surgeons.

I have nailed my Surgeon list down to a few names, some of which I am sure this community would back and some you may not.

Work required:

Hair line restoration (NWII) with possibility of going further back into native hair to match or get close to current density illusion.

If possible slight crown work however I realise this is a 'black hole' are for incoming graphs and I may have to learn to live with this. Crown still has good coverage I guess, this is with no concealers (I am plain an simply, a greedy SOB)

Many Dr's refused to work on the Crown mid scalp issues I described, and in all honesty looking at the sent photos I would have given the exact same response. HOWEVER, I have been stable on Meds for over 5 years+ not to mention Minox for 9 years. My father is a NWIV but I do not share his pattern of loss (plus my father did not introduce Fin or Minox) I understand the issues of further progression etc I just don't see a future NWVI on my head, possibly arrogance on my behalf. My donor area is extremely thick/wavy my laxity would be above average as I am told by my current dermatologist. IF opting for FUT it would be prime ( I should have mentioned I am going the FUE route) I have seen other cases with similar loss go through surgery and turnout fantastic, so I opted to contact/consult with the clinics that had completed these surgeries.

No particular order:

Dr Bisanga (Has some amazing FUE results) Other members mentioned complaints of no after care etc, I only managed to find one or two cases where the patients had above expectations, results were fine. I have rummaged through all the internation HT forums for patients results and have had contact with Stephen (Good Guy) I would have to say Bisanga is my potentail top choice at this stage, desnity seems really good, growth/yield looks great and not to mention he has many cases documented online not only from BHR but from individual patient experiences.

SMG (Shapiro's)

I guess you could say thier FUE is still in its early years however the results posted are outstanding especially with hairline work, the issues I found with the clinic (only small issues) were related to density and the fact they were not willing to plant throughout potential thinning native areas (fair enough they are Dr's, I did not argue the point) their density seems somewhat conservative from what I have noticed on patient results however photos say one thing in person say another, I have not been able to meet up with any SMG Aussie clients. I spoke with Matt Z, really nice guy. Matt explained FUE would be a great option for me as my hairline still has its pattern and the work would be minimal. Matt advised SMG would not go over the vertex/crown as he felt this area was still in great condition even if I did not feel this myself. The only fault with the consultation was going through too many basics regarding procedures etc even though I had previosuly sent an extensive email outlining my knowledge on HT surgery and my preferred choice of procedure and desired density (hoping for 50fu2). I had many more questions which were slightly skimmed over, Matt is a busy man so I boiled it down to this. I will definitely contact him again with additional questions as he recommended.

Dr Keser, an interesting choice and is new to the mix over the past 6 months. although this physician has only a handful of documented cases online...WOW, great FUE work. I have emailed his practice, no response as yet (only 1 say earlier) I realise he has been discussed on this forum and many other like it, noting he was up for recommendation for this site. I wont hold my breathe until I receive an Email from his clinic, I would like to see more cases and question a few of his methods (one of which taking donor hairs above the 'safe zone") Even though I have seen a fair few other Dr's on here pull off the same method from time to time with no real uproar or repercussions. I guess another issues is traveling to Turkey (Safety wise)

Dr Devroye, I emailed his clinics some time ago with photos, Dr Devroye was very quick to respond, I liked some of his results however looking further into his FUE results I was slightly dissatisfied. The good Dr wrote out a nice plan and outlined where he could assist me, I was unsure about the amount of graphs required, it seemed rather high to me, especially since I had contacted other clinics whom calculated less graphs. I exchanged many emails with the clinics deciding not to proceed any further, great guy...just didn't "feel it". Sorry mate :(

Hasson and Wong!!

Well, I don't need to go into detail regarding these two characters, great results time and time again all documented. I emailed the clinic and the response was hairline work was the only option (although this was two years ago) Upon countless hours/months/years inspecting thier documented results I managed to find myself not really liking some of the hairline designs, I am VERY picky, so this could be me as picky a douche. I received a good consultation however have no shelved them for potential future surgeries should I require FUT. Unless they decide to crack the FUE market :D

Dr Rahal

Since he is now doing FUE I am rather intrigued, I will email his practice soon I do enjoy his hairline designs and he was my top pick going back in 2007. Since then I have seen nothing but great results from the clinic and minimal bad updates posted online.

I am very sorry for the length of this post. I have been going down a mental spiral trying to choose a Dr and get this done and dusted (for the time being)

I'm tired, wow italics how did I do that??

I would say Bisanga and Keser are my top choices followed by SMG///possibly Rahal once I hear back about his FUE process.

I have not chosen top mention Dr Feller due to pricing although trust me I have researched the living daylights out of him too. If I had the money mate you would be one of my Top picks also ;)

*Please do not comment with: "Price shouldn't be taken over quality etc". I know this! But if I can get the same result from the mentioned Dr's I wont fall into further debt.

To conclude...its all a bit of muchy muchness with these Physicians, I know they all have different principals results and yada yada yada, but I am now lost, I have spent far to much time researching this subject and quite frankly if you gave me a dentist chair, an FUE punch tool, a few needles, a smokin' hot assistant and a bottle of Vodka I'd just do the flamin' procedure myself Lol! :eek:

Sorry to go all Aussie there.

Have I gone to far researching??

Please keep in mind I have looked over other Dr's mentioned on this forum, countless hours of random DHT studies, procedures BLA BLA BLA!. I wont be swindled. Haha. Send your thoughts Oh Veterans of the HT world!!

Thanks for coming out.

PS: If you made it through this post in its entirety you deserve a medal or a hug from someone. I sell hugs over Ebay.

Thanks guys.

:cool:

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Did SMG say they would not do 50 grafts per cm2???

Dr. Konior in Chicago has displayed some very skilled results and gets back to you through email very quickly, He is recommended on this site and I seem to have a similar situation to you and he suggests 50 per cm2.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Nice and thorough. I like it. You're as well-equipped as anyone to make a decision. (In time you'll see some finished FUE results from my doc too).

I wouldn't write off the higher strength Minoxidil as useless. You probably achieved all that could be achieved with that substance at the lower strength you were already using. It sounds like your treatment experience has been a success overall and that's always good to hear. You're an example of how an early balder doesn't have to fear the worst.

Good luck.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hi Spanker-

I have previously looked over the Dr you have mentioned, I did enjoy his results but to be honest I had seen many better cases. Looks to be a fantastic physician though, some of the hairline work did not really fuel my fickle state. Thank you very much for replying though I greatly appreciate it, are you scheduled for any future surgeries with said physician? In relation to SMG and density, Matt advised that 40-55 was thier normal aim. In all fairness he never exactly stipulated that i would be under 50 but did say that would be on the higher side. I took most of his recommendations on board, however left the conversation with what he has stated assuming I would not be planted at higher FU's. This was due to future loss etc, which is fair enough. My main issue if i was planted at say 45 fu would not be to much of a problem on the condition my donor hair was of average caliber, my donor hair on the other hand is definitely of above avergae density. I have never had this properly estimated by a medical professional but when I comb my hair it has no real issues getting through the hair within the vertex region, the sides and back will grab the comb due to the high denstiy and have issues combing these areas (with washed hair also). Not to mention my mother who has been a professional hair stylist for 30 years cannot get over how thick the hair in this area is. In a nutshell I have anxiety relating to the transplanted density between both native and HT hair. This has been dicussed many time on the forum and I have read the extended debates, I guess I will have to upload a picture to show my case further. My hair on top would be above 50fu2 right now (in most areas) and I am having issues matching the sides to the top aesthetically already, dropping the desnity on top would add to the struggle. Possibly I TOO have high expectations but not for 50+fu2?? Surely! Considering I have great donor charateristics (wavy and dense) and do not plan on halting with Fin/Minox. Sorry mate I may have gone off topic, I tend to do that.

Cheers.

mattj-

How are you mate? You would indeed be correct in stating that I am well-equipped to take the next step and give this process a go. As I mentioned the further the research the more difficult the decision. Thus far I am extremely interested to see how Dr Rahal's FUE results pan out. The downside to 'waiting" is I would like to really begin organising all necessary travel arrangements etc as I am trying to tie all of this in with a planned world trip in August. I will flick an email to you guys ASAP.

PS: I have not seen many cases posted in which Dr Rahal plants in between native areas (stronger native areas should I say) he seems to shave around them and plant, at what fu2 does he consider unsafe to plant through?

Cheers

I guess all in all I was seeking approval on my mentioned physicians to potentially push me over the edge and give me a green light Lol.

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

No bites?

*Sad face*

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

After hours of research I am also leaning slightly towards fue even though the yield is lower than fut

I am hoping for a similar density as what you want

I am also in OZ

I am a Norwood 2 or 3 max

Have you met any Dr Bisanga or Keser patients?

Both Bisanga and Keser are not recommended here

If you had the money would Dr Feller be your number one or would you still have the same top three?

I wouldn’t mind having a chat with you regarding ht if you want to PM me your number

You may be interested in this thread about fue which I found particularly worrisome:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/135131-truth-about-fue-read-dr-armani-dr-rassman-my-experience-nasty-word.html

Julius,

How are you mate?

I have only met one Bisanga patient from Australia, his results were fairly good, he had previous work done which was definitely under par. The patient had FUE, the yield was quite good I thought, and I am certainly a picky individual.

I am yet to meet an Australian keser patient, although I am trying.

Dr Feller was one of my top choices; I honestly just cannot afford his prices.

Hey Spex! How are you? I am happy to send through some pictures although I have mentioned my reasoning for Dr Feller not appearing in my top choices, clearly no offence to the Doc himself...I have a limited income.

I am quite happy you PM my number for future discussions.

Cheers,

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Hi MusoInOz,

I'm surprised that you feel you've noticed a trend with regard to Dr Rahal's placement of grafts into areas of native hair. I don't believe he is reluctant to do so. I think most patients with hairline recession tend to have an area of reduced density along the front (especially in a central forelock) and that Dr Rahal places grafts into such places as a matter of routine. There will of course be a point where the native density is high enough that planting follicles within wouldn't be necessary and could be counter-productive. I don't think there's any set density that can be given, though. It's more of a case by case basis. Naturally, patient wishes will play a big part in how the surgery is planned.

"When will we see some grown out FUE results?" must be the most frequently asked question of the past 4 months. :D If only transplant results were instant, right?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

The fact they were not willing to plant throughout potential thinning native areas

I find this unusual as in some cases even before the ht result has come in they will be left with an island of hair say up front.

I would think thinning areas directly behind the say frontal third would receive a few grafts not at a high density, especially as the ht may look absurd with the contrast from the transplanted hair denser than the thin native hair.

Although I understand if it is the crown

Can someone from SMG clarify?

Hello again,

I do apologise for my lack of contribution to the site as of late, my current Internet provider is experiencing technical difficulties, great stuff!

Posting from my iPhone obviously is not my preferred method however today I have decided to take it in stride.

Drum roll if you will..........*generic snare here*

I have now shortlisted my potential HT surgery down to the following physicians:

Dr Rahal

Dr Bisanga

Still maintain a liking towards Dr Keser's posted results but in the end have decided to take a safe route and opt to go with the mentioned physicians. I have clearly outlined my reasoning earlier within this thread. Decisions, decisions...

Many morning headaches regarding the situation however I have a slight feeling or relief knowing I am down to the final two...as I am of Canadian origins my thought process is somewhat leaning towards the great land once again.

Hmm.

Excitited, nervous, stressed!

Stay tuned. Also if you feel the urge too place comment on my semi-final decision do post your concerns, praises etc.

Cheers,

PS: Internet connection should be re-established as of the weekend, some definite posting to catch up with on my behalf. Do wish me luck.

Edited by MusoInOz

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Gents!

Please find attached a few little pictures of my current hairline/recession situation.

I recently had my hair cut and thinned around the sides and back, it is VERY coarse within these areas, as you will notice.

It is 2am here...Wow!, Night everyone!

Cheers,

IMG_5092.jpg.c2988b019d60cbda8086e55939c88a11.jpg

IMG_5087.jpg.cfc35b6497703f1b82c71ebce23748bb.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg.d59ddd93bbb2fe0ac9f1cc9783836a00.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg.029c5a54676b2693564421df0ffdfcc4.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg.3ca613b34c2d4ab4d0a4e81274cd9386.jpg

IMG_5135.jpg.30d030cda5ee22ef9c22a54f3c57c4d9.jpg

IMG_5113.jpg.ce684bd2ad8c75233e3a3fefb40ebe68.jpg

IMG_5115.jpg.105bdeb2072765f531e976b1838caa7d.jpg

IMG_5119.jpg.2fa33f54c08c1a734c8b1ffe2b1a3b9a.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg.d9307b3eee81e392d6598f8a5e365025.jpg

Edited by MusoInOz

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

your hair looks prettty good to me. But good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Guys,

I appreciate the comment regarding my recently posted photographs, thanks for the kind words Spanker.

Haircut, It is easier said than done, my hairline has not advanced or changed within the last 5-6 years so I decided it was time for action. There is general thinning throughout my forelock, I will post a picture outlining this. My crown has been slowly thinning over the years however this has maintained quite well thus far utilising Fin/Minox. My father is a NW6 possibly even 5, we do not share the same head shape, hair characteristics or overall features. There is a history of hair loss on my mothers side with recession and slight balding of the crown, NW3-4's at best I would honestly say.

Cheers,

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Hey Gents,

I created I website for myself using the functions on HTN however it does not seem to want to play ball and link up to my current signature.

*sadface*

Cheers,

Edited by MusoInOz

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

email takingtheplunge or Bill (falcros), they can walk you thru it. I don't know how either.

View Spanker's Website

Have you considered visiting with one of the HT doctors mentioned on this site?

Hey Mate,

I have contacted most of the top clinics over the past two years however never visited a clinic directly. This would prove to be a very expensive visit coming from Australia, money I would honestly rather save on my potential HT.

I would love to visit my preferred clinics.

Cheers,

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Hello Musoinoz! Since you have investigated som much this subject. What is your opinion about Bisangas FUT. I have similar problem with you maybe a little bit worse and i want to undergo a strip operation. I am between Bisanga and Rahal and its difficult to decide. Which one would recommend with respect to density b?ttre patients result, haireline etc.

Thank you in advanced for any help i can get to come to a decision!

Hi Mate,

In all honesty it would be hard to say, with the top physicians it basically comes down to your perception and feel for the right one. Dr Bisanga has some incredible FUE work and FUT, personally I would go to him for FUE only however in saying this I do not doubt his FUT skills at all. Dr Rahal is slightly newer to the FUE procedure but advanced with FUT, of course I am not insinuating that Dr Rahal is not capable to perform FUE to the highest standard.

You mentioned that your loss progression is similar to myself possibly worse, I would opt for Dr Rahal personally, his hairline work and ability to perform dense packed HT is phenomenal. It sounds as though you definitely require a decent amount of grafts which FUT can accommodate easier. Consult with both physicians and see what they recommend. Mattj who is one of Dr Rahals patient advisors would gladly assist in presenting your photographs to the good Doc. I would advise to also browse other recommended coalition Docs on the forum by utilising the search function, you will find some fantastic work. Good luck mate.

Any other queries do not hesitate to PM me.

Cheers,

Edited by MusoInOz

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo