Are HT doctors able to estimate the amount of permanent shock loss

i had gone thru shock loss in the recipient area and at this point (6mths post ops) and i am still hoping it is not permanent.

however i am wondering whether HT doctors are able to estimate the extend of permanent shock loss at the recipient area during the consultation stage before an HT?

Edited by tarepanda

Shockloss is totally "unpredictable" period. Every now and then you will see an add or proclomation from a doctor/clinic that their patients have no shockloss. Don't believe it for a moment.

Generally speaking, there are a number of factors that can attribute to shockloss. The main one is the overall trauma to the scalp from the surgery. The trauma caused by thousands of recipient incisions made induce and cause shockloss to the native exisitng hair. Even the surrounding hair can shock out from this trauma. Some of the fluids injected in the scalp can also cause shockloss.

Smaller procedures involve fewer incisions and less overall trauma to the area. Some docs will not want to do as large of sessions when there are larger amounts of diffused exisitng hair in the recipient area.

Edited by gillenator

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Gillenator, thanks for the explanation but ultimately i dun think any doc will be able to advise panda on his shock loss ( temp or perm ). I think even the original doc will not be able to quantify and can only base on pre op photos. Hopefully some doc can comment here if he has a different opinion

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

No docs can predict it. But I hear some docs say that being on Finasteride can virtually eliminate permanent shock loss in the recipient region.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I think the best a doctor can do is tell you which hairs are miniaturized. Those hairs would possibly be most susceptible to permanent shockloss.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

No, they can't predict the degree of shock loss, but they can tell you what several have told me, "I don't want to plant there or you will lose it". Translation: Your minaturizing crown will grow HT hairs if we plant there, but only at the expense of the existing weak hair in that area" I was quite surprised to hear this, given we are always told about the delicate way our 'experts' plant between existing hair, the tiny amounts of transection of existing donor hair and such. Now all of a sudden, the crown is a very fragile pasture and those weak trees might die if we seed in between them.

• 2 years later...

I agree with hairthere. While it is impossible to ascertain the level of shockloss, obviously the more diffused and weak the native hair is, the more susceptible those hair shafts are to shockloss.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I think most docs would warn the patient of the possibility of shockloss prior to them commencing surgery, but there are ones out there that won't.. I think they can predict by a good degree of the shockloss after the procedure...I also think its a marketing tool for some as it locks in the patient for future procedures.. My opinion.